Information Overload

• Thread starter Thread starter tiparing
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiparing

I am very interested in converting to Catholicism, but where do I even start? There is so much information and so much to learn. Prayers please.

Welcome @tiparing
Welcome to the forum.

Why not talk with your parish priest?
THIS
There is so much information and so much to learn.
Don’t pressure yourself with much information. Becoming Catholic is not a quiz where you need to learn a lot of stuff before you do it. Just relax and talk to a priest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome…I know I need to get involved with RCIA…it just seems like an overwhelming amount of information, having come from a Protestant background. I have felt so drawn to Catholicism for years now and am ready to finally buckle down. I guess I’m just thinking out loud. Sort of saying hello everyone! I’m so ready to join you!

Just don’t pressure yourself. Take it little by little. You’ll be Catholic ASAP God willing.

Sort of saying hello everyone! I’m so ready to join you!
Welcome 🙂

Usually talking to Parish Priest and attending Mass is where people start. As a Protestant you very likely have valid Baptism but you will need to receive other Sacraments. May God help you on your journey.

Welcome to CAF and to Catholicism! Your desire to be with God will be the only fuel you need to for the journey. The length of the journey is determined only by you, not by the length measured by others.

Peace!!!

I am very interested in converting to Catholicism, but where do I even start? There is so much information and so much to learn. Prayers please.
You could read a summary such as The Faith Explained - Third Edition by Leo J. Trese, Scepter Pubs. The Third Edition incorporates some changes since Vatican II and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Why not talk with your parish priest?
For those of us who converted as adults this is a very intimidating step. We didn’t grow up knowing priests, with the idea of who a priest is. For many of us, our knowledge of priests most likely came from TV.

I’m not saying it’s bad advice, but if I had asked how I go about becoming Catholic and this was what I was told, I probably would have never taken the step.

Remember, that ultimately, Christianity is a relationship with God-- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Don’t get overwhelmed, especially on threads here at CAF. Frankly this is the last place I’d recommend to someone wanting to learn about the faith. It’s not arranged coheretly, people argue about little nits, some people post stuff that isn’t even right… so, remember, this forum is not a place for organized learning about the faith.

If your local parish has a subscription to FORMED.org you can go on there for free and take their courses and bible studies, and watch movies. Probably a really good option during the pandemic. If your local parish doesn’t have a subscription, i think you can pay to go on FORMED individually.

Start also with developing a prayer life if you aren’t already praying (learn some Catholic prayers), attending mass if possible, or watching it on TV.

And pick up an easy to read book for more on Church teaching. I recommend the US Adult Catechism, available on the USCCB website and on Amazon, etc.

Go to your parish and ask about the RCIA program. Be patient and you will be fine.

Welcome. I am a convert from a Protestant tradition. There is so much information it can be overwhelming. Contact a Catholic Church near you about RCIA. Generally RCIA starts in September but during COVID who knows what will happen in your area of the country. The secretary at the church (parish) office should be able to give you some basic information or the phone number of the RCIA director.

I would start with a book that outlines the Catholic faith before getting into deep theology. One of the very best books I bought in the very early days was this one. You’ll be learning a new language. Welcome home.

I’m not going to argue with you nor highjack this thread. I stated my opinion based on my experience as a convert and being involved with RCIA for many years on the team and as a sponsor.

I saw your reply and I stand by my comments. Calling the parish secretary is not the same thing as going to talk to “your parish priest” for someone who is not yet Catholic.

I’m guessing you know very little about what actually goes on in a parish office. Unfortunately priest rarely get to hang out in the office.

Just a couple of anecdotes; I agree with the great advice you’ve already been given.

When my spouse started RCIA (and this may have been true for me, too, but that was so long ago I can’t remember), they handed each person a stack of papers and two fairly thick books to read.

I decided a while back to align myself with a religious congregation nearby (join a “third order” - something you can eventually learn about if you have interest). I should have expected, but was surprised, to be handed 8 (yes, 8) books plus a very thick binder of things I would be studying and acquainting myself with — granted, not all 8 were thick or even reading material (some were prayer volumes), but nonetheless, it was a little intimidating.

Here we both are, now, much later - many years post-RCIA and me at the end of my official formation, and you know what? We covered those books! Maybe not each chapter or section entirely to perfection, but what I learned is (1) we’re in this together, not solo; (2) we may never cover it all; and (3) we should never stop learning. Take a deep breath and dig in - one step at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be amazed at how far you’ve come.

The Catholic Church has a written history of almost 2000 years. That is overwhelming to a lot of people.

Start slow.

www.catholic.com is an excellent website to start when you have questions.

When making an initial contact with a parish just go to one of the Masses and see if there is someone like the priest, deacon or a lay person that can help you get to know someone that is involved with teaching the faith.

Maybe start with the basic tenants of Catholicism such as the apostles or nicene creed and delving into what each of those beliefs mean. Maybe also read a summary of Jesus’ life and the gospels and the history of the church from the very befinning

Go to church every Sunday. The rest will take care of itself.

I’ve been Catholic my whole life, and if I start thinking of all the stuff I read on CAF I get overwhelmed, too.

90% of what you think you need to know isn’t really necessary. Don’t sweat it.

Welcome and blessings on your journey! Take time to appeciate and enjoy yourself. I’m a convert also and really learned a lot from listening to Catholic radio programs, watching EWTN - especially the Journey Home with Marcus Grodi. This link for his Coming Home Network https://chnetwork.org/ is an excellent resource. They have a monthly newsletter and will help you along the way with any difficulties. If you’re a reader, there are so many good books out there - just remember Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Enjoy your journey! I am also a convert and learned so much from Catholic radio and watching programs on EWTN. The Coming Home Network https://chnetwork.org/ is an excellent resource. They have a monthly newsletter and their television program the Journey Home with Marcus Grodi is always interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back