G
guanophore
Guest
[dcdurel] It was not the Catholic Church that persecuted heretics, it was the governments of France and Spain.
I think you are rather credulous to believe that the Church teachings which come down from Jesus mandated persecution, torture and death.
I did not mean to say that I thought the Inquisition resulted from teaching that had come down from Jesus. I meant to say that it was an activity that the church became involved in that I think was off track from what Jesus intended. I don’t think Jesus wants His followers to kill people because they are heretics, or non-believers. I find it incredulous that you think the governments engaged in the Inquisition without the leadership of the Pope!
I commend to you the article on witchcraft in the Catholic Encyclopedia which states: after the middle of the thirteenth century, the then recently-constituted Papal Inquisition began to concern itself with charges of witchcraft… It was at Toulouse, the hot-bed of Catharan infection, that we meet in 1275 the earliest example of a witch burned to death after judicial sentence of an inquisitor, who was in this case a certain Hugues de Baniol (Cauzons, “La Magic”, II, 217).
bible.tmtm.com/wiki/Witchcraft_(Catholic_Encyclopedia
I will concede that it may not have been the official teaching of the church, but one can hardly say that the Inqusition was not CAtholic!!!
[dcdurel] It is a long story, but in short, some heretical groups in France, including a lot of Catholic priests, began teaching that marriage was evil and suicide was good. These were the Illuminati, the Albigensians and others.
I hope that I did not give the impression that I thought this type of behavior was appropriate, or should not be addressed.
[dcdurel] The Pope urged the bishops to put a clamp on these teachings … these groups went outside of reason.
Herein begins the slippery slope. When one man presumes to preside over another man about what is reasonable, and what is not. We saw this in the case of Galileo too, did we not?
[dcdurel] The bishops refused to do anything, and instead protected the heretics, of whom were many Catholic priests. After many years and inaction by the bishops, the Pope urged the goverment to force the heretics out the country, to protect familes and society. Of course, the Church had always said the state had the right to use the death penalty for serious offenses, and the goverments thought being a traitor was certainly a serious offense. The Church NEVER permitted torture and never authorized such horrible methods.
Perhaps the church has never officially taught torture, but certainly the officials of the church have permitted and authorized it. What about the case of Joan of Arc? Yes, the church would cede the duty of torture and death to the State, but the State would not have been doing it except at the behest of the Church!
[dcdurel] the goverment officials … So they tortured. So others thought of using Church scholars to find out who was really a heretic, or a traitor opposing the goverment, so that innocent people would not be put to death. That was the beginnings of the inquisition in France. The govement used Church theologians to see who was really a subversive traitor, then the goverment would put them to death or torture them. Many more people were set free this way when the vast majority of the accused were found innocent. The Church could not refuse to cooperate, because then more people were put to death. The Church opposed the torture, but she could not oppose the use of the death penalty for being a traitor, because she taught that the state does have the right to use the death penalty in certain situations. All the Popes could do was urge that it be used as the last resort, as little as possible. The Popes urged the rescue of many as possible from these government thugs.
The conclusion that “the Church could not refuse to cooperate” because there would be more deaths, is absurd. The Church could have stood against the rulers. Yes, refusing to cooperate would have produced more deaths, and some people may have been martyrd for their faith. But cooperating in the process is to be part of it, and complicit with it. It is no different than the population cooperating with the Nazis. The Popes themselves employed and directed some of those thugs. And I know, that doesn’t mean that the official teaching of the Church was such. But my point is, when people bring up the wrongs of history, it is more proper to admit them, and not to pretend they did not happen. there were Popes, Bishops, and Inquisitors that were blind with greed and ambition.
I think you are rather credulous to believe that the Church teachings which come down from Jesus mandated persecution, torture and death.
I did not mean to say that I thought the Inquisition resulted from teaching that had come down from Jesus. I meant to say that it was an activity that the church became involved in that I think was off track from what Jesus intended. I don’t think Jesus wants His followers to kill people because they are heretics, or non-believers. I find it incredulous that you think the governments engaged in the Inquisition without the leadership of the Pope!
I commend to you the article on witchcraft in the Catholic Encyclopedia which states: after the middle of the thirteenth century, the then recently-constituted Papal Inquisition began to concern itself with charges of witchcraft… It was at Toulouse, the hot-bed of Catharan infection, that we meet in 1275 the earliest example of a witch burned to death after judicial sentence of an inquisitor, who was in this case a certain Hugues de Baniol (Cauzons, “La Magic”, II, 217).
bible.tmtm.com/wiki/Witchcraft_(Catholic_Encyclopedia
I will concede that it may not have been the official teaching of the church, but one can hardly say that the Inqusition was not CAtholic!!!
[dcdurel] It is a long story, but in short, some heretical groups in France, including a lot of Catholic priests, began teaching that marriage was evil and suicide was good. These were the Illuminati, the Albigensians and others.
I hope that I did not give the impression that I thought this type of behavior was appropriate, or should not be addressed.
[dcdurel] The Pope urged the bishops to put a clamp on these teachings … these groups went outside of reason.
Herein begins the slippery slope. When one man presumes to preside over another man about what is reasonable, and what is not. We saw this in the case of Galileo too, did we not?
[dcdurel] The bishops refused to do anything, and instead protected the heretics, of whom were many Catholic priests. After many years and inaction by the bishops, the Pope urged the goverment to force the heretics out the country, to protect familes and society. Of course, the Church had always said the state had the right to use the death penalty for serious offenses, and the goverments thought being a traitor was certainly a serious offense. The Church NEVER permitted torture and never authorized such horrible methods.
Perhaps the church has never officially taught torture, but certainly the officials of the church have permitted and authorized it. What about the case of Joan of Arc? Yes, the church would cede the duty of torture and death to the State, but the State would not have been doing it except at the behest of the Church!
[dcdurel] the goverment officials … So they tortured. So others thought of using Church scholars to find out who was really a heretic, or a traitor opposing the goverment, so that innocent people would not be put to death. That was the beginnings of the inquisition in France. The govement used Church theologians to see who was really a subversive traitor, then the goverment would put them to death or torture them. Many more people were set free this way when the vast majority of the accused were found innocent. The Church could not refuse to cooperate, because then more people were put to death. The Church opposed the torture, but she could not oppose the use of the death penalty for being a traitor, because she taught that the state does have the right to use the death penalty in certain situations. All the Popes could do was urge that it be used as the last resort, as little as possible. The Popes urged the rescue of many as possible from these government thugs.
The conclusion that “the Church could not refuse to cooperate” because there would be more deaths, is absurd. The Church could have stood against the rulers. Yes, refusing to cooperate would have produced more deaths, and some people may have been martyrd for their faith. But cooperating in the process is to be part of it, and complicit with it. It is no different than the population cooperating with the Nazis. The Popes themselves employed and directed some of those thugs. And I know, that doesn’t mean that the official teaching of the Church was such. But my point is, when people bring up the wrongs of history, it is more proper to admit them, and not to pretend they did not happen. there were Popes, Bishops, and Inquisitors that were blind with greed and ambition.