S
syphon229
Guest
Do you guys have any suggestions for movies of books that are uplifting. I’m sick of reading classical literature that is overly depressing, and watching movies that are so negative. Any suggestions?
Syphon, don’t sell classical literature short. I’ve found Dante’s Divine Comedy quite appealling (so much so that I’ve read all three volumes THREE TIMES already). And please, don’t knock Shakespeare’s works, or the works of…well, I’ll leave some of the Ancient Greek playrights sic] for another day. As for inspirational movies, I’ve found that The Song of Bernadette with Jennifer Jones, and The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima with Gilbert Roland quite uplifting.Do you guys have any suggestions for movies of books that are uplifting. I’m sick of reading classical literature that is overly depressing, and watching movies that are so negative. Any suggestions?
Returning to the Greek playrights I alluded to earlier, I’ve always found Sophocles’ Three Theban Plays to inspire me into avoiding what some of the main characters did: letting their own self-worth get the better of them, and lead them into committing acts of hubris. If that does not teach humility, then I don’t know what does.BELLA is a great movie!
The people who made it are a real inspiration. They gave up fame and fortune to spread God’s Word through the modern world.
Mark
Return to Me was great.I’ll second the* I am David* recommendation for movies, and also the clean (!) romantic comedy, Return to Me.
Margaret
DoubleSimon Birch was a great little uplifting film, and it’s become one of our favorites. Shadowlands is another, and based on a true story. And there’s always Hoosiers and *Chariots of Fire!*
Oh, definitelyDouble![]()
to Chariots of Fire.
Two Bing Crosby movies - Bells of St Marys and Going My Way
Lilies of The Field with Sidney Poitier - awesome, awesome, awesome …
yes, a fantastic movie. I’d also suggest any film by either Frank Capra and Cecil B.Demille.Books?
Pick a subject.
Secular? The Song of Roland
Movies?
Don’t watch them. But the of the ones I did,
A Man for All Seasons
Hands down.