Interested in Christianity

  • Thread starter Thread starter arsin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arsin

Guest
I am interested in knowing about the Catholic religion and gaining information about its principles. Can anyone help me with introducing a basic book about Christianity in general and Catholic in specific.
Thank you
 
I am interested in knowing about the Catholic religion and gaining information about its principles. Can anyone help me with introducing a basic book about Christianity in general and Catholic in specific.
Thank you
Welcome to CAF, arsin.

This would very much depend upon your background and current knowledge. Have you been exposed at all to Christianity? There are many great resources but the best thing you can do is to go to your nearest Catholic parish and start RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) classes. There is absolutely no obligation. You can go through the inquiry stage and then continue if you are still interested. The Catholic Church requires that you understand and are in agreement with Catholic teaching before you are brought into full communion.

God bless you on this most incredible journey.
 
Welcome to CAF. I hope what you are finding goes well:thumbsup:👍

God bless :signofcross:
 
I am interested in knowing about the Catholic religion and gaining information about its principles. Can anyone help me with introducing a basic book about Christianity in general and Catholic in specific.
Thank you
Believe it or not, Catholicism for Dummies provides a good overview of the Catholic faith, and it’s written in plain English. It’s also available online or in most general bookstores.
 
Welcome!!!

I highly suggest that you read as much of Catholic.com’s website as possible. Watch the videos, listen to the radio show, etc. Watch EWTN as well. It is free to stream on Roku, available on cable, online, etc.

Keep in mind, that it takes an entire lifetime to even begin to scratch the surface of the Faith. It’s a beautiful and wonderful thing, though.

Find a priest that you can chat with when you have questions. Don’t be offended if the priest needs to direct you to others that are better suited to speak with you. Some of them are barely able to sleep - they are so busy - and they will want to make sure you have the chance to meet with someone that can really give you plenty of time and attention.
 
Everything that is important to know about Catholicism is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (or CCC).

Here’s a link to it. I recommend that since you are learning about Catholicism for what I presume is the first time, then start at the beginning and simply work your way to the end, as each section give you a base to build on for the next.

Go slowly, there is a lot of information in that material. 🙂


LINK to CCC


God bless you, and welcome to CAF. 🙂
 
The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a great resource. Depending on your background and attention span, the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church might be an easier place to start.
 
This is a second for “Catholicism for Dummies” by Rev. John Trigilio and Rev. Kenneth Brighenti. It is solid information, and plainly written, even entertaining at times. As a religious educator and cradle Catholic, I turn to this to help explain the faith to non-Catholics.

While I treasure and use the Catechism of the Catholic Church often, it can be overwhelming to someone who has little prior knowledge of the faith.

God bless and keep you as you embark on this journey home. You are part of a large and supportive family, both in heaven and on earth. Our hearts are restless, God, until they rest in you (St. Augustine)
 
Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church, also known as YOUCAT, edited by Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, 2011.
 
I think I would vomit if someone made me read a book called “YOUCAT.”
 
I would also recommend catholicism for Dummies. I find it easier to understand. I do read CCC, but whoa! I have difficulty understanding it. If I only had the CCC and not the Catholicism for Dummies aswell, I would have been put off of returning back to the Church!
 
Wow, I am overwhelmed by the number of responses I recieved. Thank you everyone. Could anyone send a link to the Catholicism for Dummies, as I do not access to the book in my country.

Thank you once again.
 
I am interested in knowing about the Catholic religion and gaining information about its principles. Can anyone help me with introducing a basic book about Christianity in general and Catholic in specific.
Thank you
I think Fr. Robert Barron’s Catholicism does the job very well, because he covers Christian basics as well as Catholic distinctives.

Edwin
 
I am interested in knowing about the Catholic religion and gaining information about its principles. Can anyone help me with introducing a basic book about Christianity in general and Catholic in specific.
Thank you
Hello Friend,

It can really depend on your specific background and how much exposure you have had to the faith. Some books cover a little bit of everything, other are about just one specific topic.

I think the place to start would probably be **The Baltimore Catechism. **

amazon.com/The-Saint-Joseph-Baltimore-Catechism/dp/089942242X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1382992915&sr=8-6&keywords=the+baltimore+catechism

May God Bless you in your search for the truth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top