As of January 15, 2004, there are 1,875 Americans still
unaccounted for from the Vietnam War

97% of Vietnam Veterans were honorably discharged

91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served

74% say they would serve again, even knowing the outcome

Vietnam veterans have a lower unemployment rate than the
same non-vet age groups.

Vietnam veterans’ personal income exceeds that of
non-veteran age group by more than 18 percent.

87% of Americans hold Vietnam Veterans in high esteem.

There is no difference in drug usage between Vietnam
Veterans and non-Vietnam Veterans of the same age group
(Source: Veterans Administration Study)

Vietnam Veterans are less likely to be in prison - only
one-half of one percent of Vietnam Veterans have been
jailed for crimes.

85% of Vietnam Veterans made successful transitions to
civilian life.

1,713,823 of those who served in Vietnam were still alive
as of August, 1995 (census figures).

As of the current Census taken during August, 2000, the
surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is:

globalspecialoperations.com/vietnamwarfacts.html

40.png
IsaacSheen:
Nice post. That is all I can say. Thank you.
I was stunned to see the still missing and unknown number - where are these kids - and their families must hurt so.

I work with a Vietnam vet and he is all of those things, an honorable man with an honorable discharge who returned to the US, got his education, had a successful career, raised a family and is now retiring to spend more time with his soon to be born grandchild. I think my co worker is much more the rule than the exception, despite what those stuck in a time warp want to believe. Apocalypse Now was a MOVIE for those who are still living in dreamland.

Thanks for those statistics. Very interesting.
Lisa N

Lisa N:
I work with a Vietnam vet and he is all of those things,
Give him a hug from me and tell him “thank you”. I can never forgive the left for what they did to those men and I hope Jane Fonda gets buried in Hanoi.

Thanks for the post. Just yeasterday I was hearing from a well meaning person on the topic of veterans, how they ALL come back from war with serious mental disorders. It’s time we started to undo the mistaken beliefs that arise from the publicizing of the unfortunate minority of vets with service-related disorders…

nimh.nih.gov/publicat/numbers.cfm

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Approximately 5.2 million American adults ages 18 to 54, or about 3.6 percent of people in this age group in a given year, have PTSD.12
  • PTSD can develop at any age, including childhood.16
  • About 30 percent of Vietnam veterans experienced PTSD at some point after the war.17 The disorder also frequently occurs after violent personal assaults such as rape, mugging, or domestic violence; terrorism; natural or human-caused disasters; and accidents.
ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/157/4/615

**OBJECTIVE: **The purpose of this study was to examine posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among Hispanics who served in the Vietnam War. **METHOD: **The authors conducted secondary data analyses of the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study, a national epidemiologic study completed in 1988 of a representative sample of veterans who served during the Vietnam era (N=1,195). **RESULTS: **After adjustment for premilitary and military experiences, the authors found that Hispanic, particularly Puerto Rican, Vietnam veterans had significantly more severe PTSD symptoms and a higher probability of experiencing PTSD than nonminority veterans. However, they had no greater risk for other mental disorders, and their greater risk for PTSD was not explained by acculturation. Despite their more severe symptoms, Hispanic veterans, especially Puerto Rican veterans, showed no greater functional impairment than non-Hispanic white veterans.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1619930&dopt=Abstract

This study examined the effects of Vietnam war-zone duty and combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) on severity of drug- and alcohol-abuse disorders among veterans seeking treatment for substance dependence. Combat-exposed Vietnam-theater veterans (N = 108) were compared with Vietnam-era veterans without war-zone duty (N = 151) on psychometric measures of drug and alcohol abuse. There were no differences between theater and era veterans on these measures. However, Vietnam-theater veterans with PTSD experienced more severe drug- and alcohol-abuse problems than did theater veterans without PTSD and were at greater risk for having both forms of substance abuse. Further analyses showed that PTSD was significantly related to some dimensions of drug- and alcohol-abuse problems but not to other dimensions. These findings indicate that PTSD, rather than combat stress per se, is linked to severity of substance abuse. Finally, reexperiencing and avoidance/numbing components of PTSD were more strongly associated with drug abuse than alcohol abuse, but physiological arousal symptoms of PTSD were more highly correlated with alcohol abuse.

news-medical.net/?id=5051

Vietnam veterans had higher death rates in the first five years after discharge than veterans who did not serve in Vietnam, according to a 30-year follow-up study published in the September 27 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.

During the 1980s, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducted the Vietnam Experience Study (VES) to look at the long-term health effects of military service in Vietnam. Serving in Vietnam exposed servicemen to several possible health factors, including exposure to psychological stress associated with war, infectious diseases prevalent in Vietnam, pesticides and herbicides, and drug and alcohol abuse. The original VES followed 18,313 US Army veterans from their date of discharge from active duty (1965-1977) through December 31, 1983.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Give him a hug from me and tell him “thank you”. I can never forgive the left for what they did to those men and I hope Jane Fonda gets buried in Hanoi.
I will! And believe me, hand him a shovel and he’ll help dig the hole to push Miss Jane into. She is, beyond all others, the most despised character of that era. I am honestly curious why she wasn’t tried for treason.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I will! And believe me, hand him a shovel and he’ll help dig the hole to push Miss Jane into. She is, beyond all others, the most despised character of that era. I am honestly curious why she wasn’t tried for treason.

Lisa N
Because she did not commit treason.

The Vietnam war was wrong. Brave and courageous Vietnamese people were killed fighting against Americans. Brave and courageous Americans were killed fighting against Vietnamese. Did God grieve more over one death than another? The fact that people in uniform are killed does not make their cause just. Only justice makes a cause just.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I can never forgive the left for what they did to those men and I hope Jane Fonda gets buried in Hanoi.
Pope John Paul entitled his Message for the World Day of Peace 1997 **Offer Forgiveness and Receive Peace

** The time has come for a resolute decision to set out together on a true pilgrimage of peace, starting from the concrete situation in which we find ourselves. At times the difficulties can be daunting: ethnic origin, language, culture and religious beliefs are often obstacles to such a pilgrimage. To go forward together, when we have behind us traumatic experiences or even age-old divisions, is not an easy thing to do. This, then, is the question: which path must we follow, what direction should we take?

Certainly there are many factors which can help restore peace, while safeguarding the demands of justice and human dignity. But no process of peace can ever begin unless an attitude of sincere forgiveness takes root in human hearts. When such forgiveness is lacking, wounds continue to fester, fueling in the younger generation endless resentment, producing a desire for revenge and causing fresh destruction. Offering and accepting forgiveness is the essential condition for making the journey towards authentic and lasting peace.

With deep conviction therefore I wish to appeal to everyone to seek peace along the paths of forgiveness. I am fully aware that forgiveness can seem contrary to human logic, which often yields to the dynamics of conflict and revenge. But forgiveness is inspired by the logic of love, that love which God has for every man and woman, for every people and nation, and for the whole human family. If the Church dares to proclaim what, from a human standpoint, might appear to be sheer folly, it is precisely because of her unshakable confidence in the infinite love of God. As Scripture bears witness, God is rich in mercy and full of forgiveness for those who come back to him (cf. Ez 18:23; Ps 32:5; Ps 103:8-14; Eph 2:4-5; 2 Cor 1:3). God’s forgiveness becomes in our hearts an inexhaustible source of forgiveness in our relationships with one another, helping us to live together in true brotherhood.

I have a relative that died fighting in Viet nam. I also know a couple of vets that are great role models and love their country. Thank God for these brave patriots. The way they were treated upon their return from serving their country was shameful.

40.png
Matt25:
Because she did not commit treason.

The Vietnam war was wrong. Brave and courageous Vietnamese people were killed fighting against Americans. Brave and courageous Americans were killed fighting against Vietnamese. Did God grieve more over one death than another? The fact that people in uniform are killed does not make their cause just. Only justice makes a cause just.
Whether you think the Vietnam War was right or wrong, you’ve got to have respect for the men and women who served their country b/c they were asked too.

BTW, Jane Fonda is an incredible piece of cr*p who probably deserves to spend the rest of her life in a tiger cage, not in luxury. But that’s not for me to judge.

Just a comment on PTSD–it is not peculiar to the Vietnam War or the wars following. My father, a combat vet of WWII had it; he would sometimes be mauling my mother in the middle of the night, dreaming he was back in the trenches. And I have read his 1943 letters to my mother, before they were married, when he talked about people he knew who had come back from WWI changed for the worse.

DaveBj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back