Interesting moral delimma about a Cat

  • Thread starter Thread starter yellowbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yellowbird

Guest
My single brother lives on a beautiful property in the country with his small, MUCH beloved dog we’ll call Yorkie. Brother started feeding a declawed stray cat that wandered into his yard. Brother is not a cat person, but felt sorry for cat so he provided a nice outdoor shelter for him, feed him twice daily and let him sleep in the heated garage on terribly cold winter nights. Cat seemed to like being outdoors and even managed to hunt all sorts of small critters even without his front claws. Cat and Yorkie became great friends and played rough and tumble together whenever Yorkie was let outside. Brother didn’t worry about Yorkie getting hurt because Cat was declawed.

There years went by.

Cat disappeared. 😦

Brother thinks Cat got killed by either a coyote or a hawk.

Yorkie misses his friend, Cat.

Brother is thinking of going to animal shelter and adopting a stray, soon to be euthanized adult cat as a new playmate for Yorkie. Brother insists on declawed Cat because he doesn’t want beloved Yorkie to get scratched.

Knows that Cat #2 might succumb to the same fate as Cat #1 but reasons that Cat #2 is going to die regardless, and living however much longer well fed and cared for is a good thing.

What say you?
 
Seems like you have a very kind brother!
Really? Even though he’s going to keep a declawed cat outdoors, knowing it can’t defend itself? That’s the moral question in my mind. I think being euthanized would have to be a more peaceful way to go vs. coyote attack.

THAT sounds awful. :eek:
 
in most cases when a cat is lost it either has its own territory (unless chased away by other

critters ) or in 90% of cases stays in you’re general property area for up to 6 months and in a

few cases up to 9 months

if a cat was tamed when it leaves within a week or two it will turn feral

and possibly stay within one to five houses from you or wherever there is food

i hope you find cat or end up with nother one ( and this one dont get lost or "captured hopfully)

( i know how you feel my youngest sister is so sad now that she cant find her “baby” )

:thumbsup:good luck with everything

Shalom
God Bless
 
in most cases when a cat is lost it either has its own territory (unless chased away by other

critters ) or in 90% of cases stays in you’re general property area for up to 6 months and in a

few cases up to 9 months

if a cat was tamed when it leaves within a week or two it will turn feral

and possibly stay within one to five houses from you or wherever there is food

i hope you find cat or end up with nother one ( and this one dont get lost or "captured hopfully)

( i know how you feel my youngest sister is so sad now that she cant find her “baby” )

:thumbsup:good luck with everything

Shalom
God Bless
Just curious where you got this information.

“Tamed” cats do not “turn feral”.

In any case, it is not a good idea to adopt a cat with the intention of leaving it outdoors. Outdoor cats live a good 5 years less on average than their indoor counterparts, and meet their demise through disease, accident, as well as being subject to being eaten and involved in cat fights (with other clawed cats).

Many shelters will not adopt out cats if the new owners intend on keeping the cat out of doors; there may be the matter of honesty in such a case.

And the question comes up (I assume that the adopted cat is going to be kept outside), what if the cat does not want to go outside? Some cats are terrified of the outdoors.
 
Really? Even though he’s going to keep a declawed cat outdoors, knowing it can’t defend itself? That’s the moral question in my mind. I think being euthanized would have to be a more peaceful way to go vs. coyote attack.

THAT sounds awful. :eek:
I dunno… I’m a betting man. What are the odds of the cat surviving being euthanized? Compare those odds against the cat surviving indefinitely at your brother’s place. Now look at the immediate conditions… Cat is in a cage until euthanized vs. cat is free to explore, hunt, play with Yorkie, etc. If I were cat, I’d pick living an undetermined amount of time free and happy as opposed to a limited amount of time inside a cage. Besides… your brother supposes that a hawk or coyote got cat… maybe cat simply wondered away. Even if that weren’t the case, cat having its claws only improves chances of survival; it doesn’t guarantee them especially against a hawk or coyote. 😉
 
I dunno… I’m a betting man. What are the odds of the cat surviving being euthanized? Compare those odds against the cat surviving indefinitely at your brother’s place. Now look at the immediate conditions… Cat is in a cage until euthanized vs. cat is free to explore, hunt, play with Yorkie, etc. If I were cat, I’d pick living an undetermined amount of time free and happy as opposed to a limited amount of time inside a cage. Besides… your brother supposes that a hawk or coyote got cat… maybe cat simply wondered away. Even if that weren’t the case, cat having its claws only improves chances of survival; it doesn’t guarantee them especially against a hawk or coyote. 😉
Ha! You sound exactly like my brother!!!

Tommy, is this you?!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, thanks for your opinion. 👍
 
I have a question. Why can’t Cat #2 just live inside? If the only reason why Cat #1 (Didn’t he have a name?) lived outside was because he liked living there, then why should Cat #2 do something just because Cat #1 liked it? Since Cat #2 is meant to be Yorkie’s companion, Cat #2 should be treated as Yorkie’s equal and be allowed to live inside if he pleases.
 
I used to do volunteer work at an animal shelter where cats, dogs (and on occasion other animals such as rabbits and ferrets) were put up for adoption.

I can tell you first hand that if anyone approached the staff and conveyed the fact that they had the intention of keeping a declawed cat outdoors, they would have been refused adoption.

On the surface it sounds like your brother has the intention of doing a decent thing. Realistically speaking, however, his intentions are irresponsible.
 
Really? Even though he’s going to keep a declawed cat outdoors, knowing it can’t defend itself? That’s the moral question in my mind. I think being euthanized would have to be a more peaceful way to go vs. coyote attack.

THAT sounds awful. :eek:
Your brother shows kindness towards a stray, his beloved dog and a soon to be euthanized cat and you find it necessary to reply to me this way? I bet if you took the time to measure your words you could have disagreed in a kinder, less sarcastic manner. I don’t mind disagreement, clearly people posting here have disagreed, but I do mind sarcasm. By the way, several of my neighbors over the years have allowed their declawed cats to roam, their feelings were that the cats wanted to roam over the safety of being inside. I agree with Tietjen. God bless you.
 
I have a question. Why can’t Cat #2 just live inside? If the only reason why Cat #1 (Didn’t he have a name?) lived outside was because he liked living there, then why should Cat #2 do something just because Cat #1 liked it? Since Cat #2 is meant to be Yorkie’s companion, Cat #2 should be treated as Yorkie’s equal and be allowed to live inside if he pleases.
That’s a good question - Brother doesn’t want an indoor cat. He’s not a “cat person” - doesn’t like that they climb up on everything - doesn’t want the hair etc. Yorkie doesn’t shed. It would have to be outdoor cat or nothing.
 
Your brother shows kindness towards a stray, his beloved dog and a soon to be euthanized cat and you find it necessary to reply to me this way? I bet if you took the time to measure your words you could have disagreed in a kinder, less sarcastic manner. I don’t mind disagreement, clearly people posting here have disagreed, but I do mind sarcasm. By the way, several of my neighbors over the years have allowed their declawed cats to roam, their feelings were that the cats wanted to roam over the safety of being inside. I agree with Tietjen. God bless you.
Oh my. I was not trying to be sarcastic at all. I’m terribly sorry if I came across that way. I don’t even necessarily disagree with you. I was simply asking the question.

Again, my apologies for offending you. That was truly not my intention. :o
 
Oh my. I was not trying to be sarcastic at all. I’m terribly sorry if I came across that way. I don’t even necessarily disagree with you. I was simply asking the question.

Again, my apologies for offending you. That was truly not my intention. :o
i for one do not find any sarcasm in your post
 
Really? Even though he’s going to keep a declawed cat outdoors, knowing it can’t defend itself? That’s the moral question in my mind. I think being euthanized would have to be a more peaceful way to go vs. coyote attack.

THAT sounds awful. :eek:
It would seem then that rounding up all outdoor cats and euthanizing them would be the humane thing to do rather than risk their being subject to a possible or even likely attack or other unfortunate mishap. Life is worth it, even given the possibility of trauma.

A related question: should God simply put an end to all animal life because a great many animals are subject to predatory or some other form of unwanted death?

My strong suspicion is that animals are not aware of their state as humans are.
 
Why doesn’t your brother get another dog? There’s no guarantee that the new cat will even play with Yorkie. I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. One of the cats thinks she’s a dog and will play with my smallest dog. The other cat knows she a cat and that dogs are beneath her. She just turns her nose up at them and walks off.
 
Why doesn’t your brother get another dog? There’s no guarantee that the new cat will even play with Yorkie. I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. One of the cats thinks she’s a dog and will play with my smallest dog. The other cat knows she a cat and that dogs are beneath her. She just turns her nose up at them and walks off.
This is a good point…perhaps a kitten would play with yorkie, but maybe not another adult cat.

I agree is is a rather scary thing to keep a declawed cat outdoors with no way to defend itself.

My mom’s cat disappeared for over a month and came back. How long has the 1st cat been gone? Its possible he will be back…
 
I agree with someone else who said a cat who is about to be euthanized should be given the chance to live free for a few weeks, months or years in the wild. Even if it’s death would ultimately be less kind, at least it won’t be stuck in a cage. At least it would be given the chance to live a little bit longer. Something that would NOT happen within the shelter.

A cat can survive without it’s claws, even in the wild. They’re pretty clever little creatures. 🙂
 
He should NOT de-claw the cat. It is cruel and un-ethical.

That being said he is free to do so. All you can do is voice your opinion.
 
And the question comes up (I assume that the adopted cat is going to be kept outside), what if the cat does not want to go outside? Some cats are terrified of the outdoors.
I can barely keep mine inside. They are absolutely mad about getting out.
 
He should NOT de-claw the cat. It is cruel and un-ethical.

That being said he is free to do so. All you can do is voice your opinion.
My brother would adopt a cat that has already been declawed - would not pay to have it done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top