Interpretation of Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter t68ware
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

t68ware

Guest
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
Which Bible is this? The reason I ask is that it seems at least partially incorrect with regard to Catholic teaching on the Creation. While I believe Catholics have some liberty with regard to belief in a literal 7 days or a billions-year-old creation, they are obligated, for instance, to believe in the special creation of man and a literal Adam and Eve.
 
but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal,
I suggest you read the Catechism section on Creation and also the encyclical Humani Generis.
that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc.
Well, there is evidence for some of these propositions but I would say this is an over generalization regarding the Catholic position.

I also suggest you read the Catechism sections on Divine Revelation and Scripture.
Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
Well, you don’t say how you interpret Scripture.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
The Catechism states that figurative language was sometimes employed in Genesis to convey literal truths. The literal truths include the important ones- such as that we all share a single pair of first parents who literally disobeyed God, committing the Original sin.

Nowhere does the Catechism state that Paul and Jesus’ words were not there own, regardless of the opinion of non-official exegesis wherever it may be found. OTOH, the Church does hold a different opinion about Scripture. Her people were already proclaiming the faith before the NT was written after all so we don’t view Scripture as the sole authority-the Church, herself, actually has that role.

You should consider the teachings in the Catechism on Scripture beginning at par. 101. Here are some excerpts:

**107 The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."72

108 Still, the Christian faith is not a “religion of the book.” Christianity is the religion of the “Word” of God, a word which is “not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living”.73 If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."74

The Second Vatican Council indicates three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit who inspired it.

112 1. Be especially attentive “to the content and unity of the whole Scripture”. Different as the books which compose it may be, Scripture is a unity by reason of the unity of God’s plan, of which Christ Jesus is the center and heart, open since his Passover.79
The phrase “heart of Christ” can refer to Sacred Scripture, which makes known his heart, closed before the Passion, as the Scripture was obscure. But the Scripture has been opened since the Passion; since those who from then on have understood it, consider and discern in what way the prophecies must be interpreted.80

113 2. Read the Scripture within “the living Tradition of the whole Church”. According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church’s heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God’s Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture (". . . according to the spiritual meaning which the Spirit grants to the Church"81).

114 3. Be attentive to the analogy of faith.82 By “analogy of faith” we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.

The senses of Scripture

115 According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.

116 The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: "All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal."83

117 The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God’s plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.
  1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ’s victory and also of Christian Baptism.84
  2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written “for our instruction”.85
  3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, “leading”). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.86**
 
Not quite. Special creation of the soul, not man.

See the encyclical Humani Generis
The distinction you’re making, which is only based upon a semantical argument anyway, is incorrect. “Soul” is often used in the Scriptures interchangeably with “men” or “man.”

ewtn.com/library/HUMANITY/EVOLUTN.TXT

*The Church has maintained that the first three chapters of Genesis contain
historical truth. Their inspired author used a popular literary form of
his day to explain certain historical facts of Creation. These were named
specifically by the Pontifical Biblical Commission, with the approval of
Pope Pius X in 1909. The official document states that the literal
historical meaning of the first three chapters of Genesis could not be
doubted in regard to:

“the creation of all things by God at the beginning of time; the
special creation of man;
the formation of the first woman from the
first man; the unity of the human race; the original happiness of our
first parents in the state of justice, integrity, and immortality; the
command given by God to man to test his obedience; the transgression of
the divine command at the instigation of the devil under the form of a
serpent; the degradation of our first parents from that primeval state
of innocence; and the promise of a future redeemer.”*
 
The distinction you’re making, which is only based upon a semantical argument anyway, is incorrect. “Soul” is often used in the Scriptures interchangeably with “men” or “man.”
Go read Humani Generis:
  1. For these reasons the Teaching Authority of the Church **does not forbid **that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However, this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically the Sacred Scriptures and of defending the dogmas of faith. Some however, rashly transgress this liberty of discussion, when they act as if the origin of the human body from pre-existing and living matter were already completely certain and proved by the facts which have been discovered up to now and by reasoning on those facts, and as if there were nothing in the sources of divine revelation which demands the greatest moderation and caution in this question.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
Catholics interpret Scripture with the lens of the Sacred Tradition which provided the Scriptures. Thus, where it is to be interpreted as literal, we understand it to be literal. Where the author’s intention was figurative, we understand it to be figurative.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
2 Peter 1:20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation.
 
Go read Humani Generis:
  1. For these reasons the Teaching Authority of the Church **does not forbid **that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However, this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically the Sacred Scriptures and of defending the dogmas of faith. Some however, rashly transgress this liberty of discussion, when they act as if the origin of the human body from pre-existing and living matter were already completely certain and proved by the facts which have been discovered up to now and by reasoning on those facts, and as if there were nothing in the sources of divine revelation which demands the greatest moderation and caution in this question.
This disproves my point how, exactly? Just because you have a document affirming the special creation of the soul, does not exclude that elsewhere the special creation of man is taught in an authoritative church document.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
That must be the NAB you’re reading.
 
I have a different question that I hope you can help me with that relates the literal interpretation of Scripture.
It seems Sola Scriptura has two ways of being interpreted when the Bible is silent on a moral issue. The first is that if the Bible does not expressly forbid something, then it is permitted. For example, the reasoning is that since there is no commandment that says, “Thou shalt not procure an abortion” then it is OK. The other way is that something something has to be in the Bible or it is forbidden. For example, the Bible doesn’t say one can get an abortion, therefore it is forbidden." Another example would be, “since there are no musical instruments mentioned in the New Testament, all worship music must be a capella.”
My question is whether there is a name for these ways of thinking and where did they originate? How significant is this in Protestant ideas about morality?
 
I have a different question that I hope you can help me with that relates the literal interpretation of Scripture.
It seems Sola Scriptura has two ways of being interpreted when the Bible is silent on a moral issue. The first is that if the Bible does not expressly forbid something, then it is permitted. For example, the reasoning is that since there is no commandment that says, “Thou shalt not procure an abortion” then it is OK. The other way is that something something has to be in the Bible or it is forbidden. For example, the Bible doesn’t say one can get an abortion, therefore it is forbidden." Another example would be, “since there are no musical instruments mentioned in the New Testament, all worship music must be a capella.”
My question is whether there is a name for these ways of thinking and where did they originate? How significant is this in Protestant ideas about morality?
Sola Scriptura, and this depends actually on the denomination you are speaking about, is not that cut and dry as it appears. For instance, smoking is not directly forbidden but it does say that the body is the temple of the Spirit, so smoking would be indirectly forbidden. Most Protestants look at the Bible as a whole to determine if something is Scriptural or not, such as music, using coarse language, etc. Fundamentalist Christians are the ones who take the Bible literally word for word, thinking God dictated every word, so as it is written, is the way God wanted it. That is the minority view in Protestantism.

When it comes to morality, again, the entire view of Scripture is considered, or should be. It is sad that many Protestants are pro-choice but that comes from the weak teaching in many Protestant churches about the authority of the Bible. There are Protestant Churches today that teach the Virgin Birth is a myth, the Bible is a Word of God, not The Word of God, etc. Because there are so many Protestant denominations, it is hard to peg Protestant thought down.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
Oh boy! Here we go again! Unfortunately, there is a modern type of interpretation that does this and it’s called the Higher Criticism and under that is a method of interpretation called the Historical-Critical Method of Interpretation. A group called the Jesus Seminar promoted this as a fact. You’ll find they explain away all the miracles and get into Redaction Criticism, Q Source, etc. As with all interpretations, there is something that can be learned in it but I would stay away from it. It’s in many of the modern commentaries and that’s why I use the Haydock Commentary which was written around 1859 or the 1953 Catholic Commentary. Fr Raymond Brown is one of the biggest stars in this method. He is great when he stays away from this criticism and just comments on scripture. You’ll find many or most priests love him. I think they love his regular commentary and not the novelties. That’s my humble opinion. Also, Fr John Dominic Crossan in another one.
 
Oh boy! Here we go again! Unfortunately, there is a modern type of interpretation that does this and it’s called the Higher Criticism and under that is a method of interpretation called the Historical-Critical Method of Interpretation. A group called the Jesus Seminar promoted this as a fact. You’ll find they explain away all the miracles and get into Redaction Criticism, Q Source, etc. As with all interpretations, there is something that can be learned in it but I would stay away from it. It’s in many of the modern commentaries and that’s why I use the Haydock Commentary which was written around 1859 or the 1953 Catholic Commentary. Fr Raymond Brown is one of the biggest stars in this method. He is great when he stays away from this criticism and just comments on scripture. You’ll find many or most priests love him. I think they love his regular commentary and not the novelties. That’s my humble opinion. Also, Fr John Dominic Crossan in another one.
I remember Fr Brown saying he didn’t agree with the Jesus Seminars methodology. Any of of these systems can easily be abused, like any other tool.
 
I was Protestant for over 39 years, and even went to a Protestant Bible college and have an undergraduate degree in Biblical studies, so when I became Catholic, I thought Catholics viewed the Bible like i did,esp when it came to scholoarly matters of interpretation, but I recently read in the preface of my new Catholic Bible that Catholics do not interperet the Creation story as literal, that the words of Paul and Jesus may or maynot have been theirs and in the end, it doesnt matter if they said those exact words, but as long as the reader gets the truth in those statements, that’s what matters, etc. Needless to say, I am very shocked, for the way I view sacred Scripture seems to be very different from the Catholic Church, and I just cannot give up how I interpret Scripture.
I’ve heard nothing but complaints of the NAB. Chuck that bible and please get an Ignatius Press RSV 2nd edition or the latin vulgate translation known as the Douay-Rheims. If only the USCCB would know what kind of material they are officially approving…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top