Introducing Theology & Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephentlig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephentlig

Guest
Hello, I am this year beginning studies with the University of Wales Lampeter for my first year of five working for my B.A in Theology and the first two modules are introduction to Theology and Introduction to Scripture. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any books that would help me with my studies for these two modules?

Pax Christi
Stephen
 
Hello, I am this year beginning studies with the University of Wales Lampeter for my first year of five working for my B.A in Theology and the first two modules are introduction to Theology and Introduction to Scripture. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any books that would help me with my studies for these two modules?

Pax Christi
Stephen
I would start with the DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON DIVINE REVELATION (Verbum Dei), which is rather short, but is the Church’s view on how we should approach Scripture. It’s only about 10 pages. Here’s the link:

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html

Then, keep the following in mind:
  1. We can never separate the Old Testament from the New. We should always approach the Old Testament from the standpoint of pointing toward the New Testament, and the New Testament as the fulfillment of the Old Testament. If you can keep that in mind, you’ll find it a lot easier. 🙂
  2. We always have to remember that Scripture is the Word of God. The Word of God is Jesus, and we can never find contradiction in it, when properly interpreted with the mind of the Church. So, always view Scripture as a whole, united work. 🙂
  3. The Word of God has a Trinitarian flavor to it, just like the Trinity. The Trinity is three Divine Persons in one God, right? Wherever you find One Person of God, you necessarily find the other two. Similarly, The Word of God is comprised of Holy Tradition, Holy Scripture, and the Magesterium of the Church. It only invites trouble if we try to take one or more out. They always go together. 🙂
God bless, and good luck! 🙂
 
I can only reccomend three classic theological texts for reading (all of these are available in English or Latin, and other languages);
  1. Summa Theologia; St. Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church
  2. De Divina Omnipotentia; St. Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church
  3. City of God; St. Augustine, Doctor of the Church
 
God speaks in Sacred Scripture through men in human fashion, the interpreter of Sacred Scripture, in order to see clearly what God wanted to communicate to us, should carefully investigate what meaning the sacred writers really intended, and what God wanted to manifest by means of their words.

Amen
 
Facinating and fast reading on Mary is, St Louis de Montfort, “Secret of Mary” and “True Devotion to Mary”.
 
Since it’s your first year, I hope you won’t be put off by the “basic” level of these two recommendations.

The first is “The Catholic Bible Dictionary” by Dr. Scott Hahn. This is, in my opinion, the most up to date, orthodox and reliable Catholic Bible dictionary available today. While it doesn’t contain any artwork, maps or charts, still the information will serve you well in your studies for years to come.

The second recommendation is also by Dr. Hahn and was originally written as a high school textbook. It is called “Understanding the Scriptures” and it chronologically covers salvation history from Genesis to Revelation. This book makes up in maps, illustrations and charts what the Bible Dictionary lacks. There is also a free mp3 audio series on this book done by one of the author’s students, Carson Weber, found here. There are also other books from this "Didache " series you may also be interested in.

Hope that helps, and may God guide you and bless you in your studies. 🙂
 
Hi Stephentlig,
Like Fidelis, I too would like to recommend a dictionary.
‘Catholic Dictionary (Revised)’ by Father Peter Stravinskas. I find it to be so handy and very readable.
Good luck with your course!
God Bless,
Colmcille.🙂
 
Hello, I am this year beginning studies with the University of Wales Lampeter for my first year of five working for my B.A in Theology and the first two modules are introduction to Theology and Introduction to Scripture. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any books that would help me with my studies for these two modules?

Pax Christi
Stephen
A few for the moment…

Of course S. Scripture!

and then…

lets see…some things to help with Scripture…

The Navarre Bible Commentary (Scepter Publishers–but Four Courts Press there in Ireland)

“Understanding the Gospels” by the same…

“A Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture” --another great work that is in progress…they have 3 done and another coming in Dec (it is different than Navarre…so they go well together)

Jesus of Nazareth --Pope Benedict XVI…and his various talks etc on Scripture before and now as Pope…
 
Of course…highly suggested…get a paperback edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read through it …

from front to back!

This will be a VERY GOOD PREP for you…

In the time running up to my leaving for Steubenville for a BA in Theology…this is what I set out to do…

it will be very very helpful to do so…(trust me…)

(that is if you have not already :)…)
 
Here are a couple you might find interesting. The scripture text used in many Catholic adult scripture classes:

*And God Said What?: An Introduction to Biblical Literary Forms *by Margaret Ralph, Paulist Press.

and

Biblical Fundamentalism: What Every Catholic Should Know by Ronald Witherup, The Order of St. Benedict
 
Hello again, thank you all for your contribution. A lot of your advice leans towards scripture but I really would like some of it to be leaning into the Intro of Theology, as it is a seperate module on its own and it is doctrinal Theology, differing from Scriptural Theology etc.

Any recommendations for this? any online sources would be great as spending money is never something I’d like to have to do lol 😊

Pax Christi
Stephen <3
 
Hello again, thank you all for your contribution. A lot of your advice leans towards scripture but I really would like some of it to be leaning into the Intro of Theology, as it is a seperate module on its own and it is doctrinal Theology, differing from Scriptural Theology etc.
If you don’t already have it, you can’t go wrong with getting “The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Ludwig Ott. You also might find “A Catholic Catechism” by Fr. John Hardon valuable as well.

Not a lot of great theology books on line. Mostly just dribs and drabs, an article or mp3 talk here or there.
 
Frank Sheed has a couple of good books – “Theology for Beginners” and "Theology and Sanity.
I second Fidelis’ recommendation for Dr. Ott’s book to be a part of your library.
 
Do you know what the Theology class involves? Is it a study of the theology behind the various Catholic doctrines? Or is it more a study of what Theology is and/or a study of the history around various doctrines focusing on the positions of various schools of thought presented and compared? (Think my wording leaves something to be desired. :o)

My suggestions in the previous post would apply only if it involves the theology of particular doctrines (Trinity, Incarnation, etc.)
 
Hello, I am this year beginning studies with the University of Wales Lampeter for my first year of five working for my B.A in Theology and the first two modules are introduction to Theology and Introduction to Scripture. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any books that would help me with my studies for these two modules?

Pax Christi
Stephen
I have found a great Bibliography site that is nicely divided based on subject topic. Happy studying!
P.S. The two references PATG mentioned above are very helpful as well…
moses.creighton.edu/harmless/bibliographies_for_theology/Index.htm
 
Unit 1
Early Christian Theology (Apostles, Creeds and Councils)
Scholasticism and the Reformation
Modern and Contemporary theologies
Doing Theology today (Overview of the types of theology)

a little birdie sang me a song that sounded like the above hehe someone who already done the course and gave me all the units so unit one consists of the above. Thanks everyone for your contributions. 👍

Pax Christi
Stephen <3
 
Hello, I am this year beginning studies with the University of Wales Lampeter for my first year of five working for my B.A in Theology and the first two modules are introduction to Theology and Introduction to Scripture. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any books that would help me with my studies for these two modules?

Pax Christi
Stephen
I’m not sure if this would fit but an excellent reference book on doctrine is “Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Ludwig Ott.
 
I’m not sure if this would fit but an excellent reference book on doctrine is “Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Ludwig Ott.
Yes somebody else mentioned this in the same thread, I’m gonna get straight on it. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top