Introvertedness and Sharing Faith

  • Thread starter Thread starter OnAJourney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OnAJourney

Guest
I’ve been thinking quite a lot about this one issue because I feel conflicted. I naturally am quiet and reserved and I don’t want to evangelize. I feel like for me my faith is entirely personal and that I’m not the right person to engage with evangelizing.

In scripture we’re called to share our faith but I just don’t feel like I can. In some ways I think it’s perhaps a moral failing on my part. Is it a failing for me to not evangelize to others? Does God understand why I feel as I do?
 
Fellow introvert, here. 🙂

God made introverts and rejoices over them as much as anyone.

Not everyone is called be “be on the front lines” as it were. I can’t share my faith in my general settling from day-to-day because, frankly, it’d get me fired (public school teacher).

But not everyone is a hand, a foot, or a mouth. We all have beautiful and unique roles. We are called to find that place. 🙂 Sharing your faith may not look like it does for others, and God delights that he made you that way. 🙂
 
But not everyone is a hand, a foot, or a mouth.
I like that. Another introvert here. Some are ears, or hearts.

@OnAJourney , continue to love God, know your faith, pray to the Holy Spirit who will give you words when you are not looking for them, but when you least expect them. Be at peace.

A blessed Pentecost.
 
Last edited:
Do not underestimate the value and power of providing a beautiful example of a Christian life. The example of “see how they love one another”, as told in the New Testament is often more powerful than any verbal statements.

Live your Faith. Truly live it.

Blessings,
 
You’re certainly not alone in not wanting to go around preaching to people or talking about your faith.

You can evangelize simply by praying for others and setting a good example. Also if someone directly asks you a faith question you could answer it or direct them to a priest, a book, even CAF for them to learn more.

I personally don’t like to talk much about my faith either. I’m not interested in arguments and it is annoying and painful for me to have to listen to people bash my religion or bash Christianity in general. I will post stuff about saints or pretty pictures of churches to my Facebook and those who enjoy the content can “like” or comment but that’s about it. And that’s fine. Some of us are more private.
 
Last edited:
You could write articles or start a blog or vlog.
You could wear a cross or medal.
You can sign petitions when important pieces of legislation come up.
You could work behind-the-scenes for an important cause, like stuffing envelopes or sorting clothes at a homeless outreach.
You can donate money to the missions.
You can pray :pray:t2:🙂
Privately at home or at adoration.
 
Evangelization is the obligation of every Catholic. As Paul VI said, the Church exists in order to evangelize. It’s why we are here.

Now, the popular stereotype is that evangelization consists in going door-to-door and approaching strangers, or preaching in front of large groups of people. As an introvert myself, I can understand why most introverts shudder at that prospect. Thankfully, this is not what evangelization looks like for most Catholics.

We are to evangelize in both word and deed—with what we say and what we do. This does not mean we berate people and only talk about religion all the time. It means that our responses to all sorts of things—from how we handle office gossip to what we say about our spouse to others—are informed by our faith. But it also might involve answering questions and clearing up misconceptions about the faith from time to time.

God doesn’t ask us to change our personality in order to fulfill the Gospel mandate to make disciples of all nations. We work with what we have. This is not to say we won’t sometimes be called to be uncomfortable. Sometimes we need to be stretched. But it’s not supposed to be downright painful at all times.
 
Everyone is created different. I too am introverted, so what happens is I pray to the Holy Spirit everyday, to be with me. I do not intentionally go forth to convert others, because only God can do that. Just staying your path, and learning everyday how to see God in your life and what he speaks to you - in other words growing in your sanctification…a life long process- will be a most wonderful way to share Christ with others.
I also listen to The Patrick Madrid Show , it airs daily on Relevant Radio. He is an awesome theologian, a professor, author and he answers calls on wide variety of subjects from people. Very helpful to me!!
 
Last edited:
Evangelism, as pointed out by others here, can be over-the-top or low keyed. I’ve often thought about just leaving a little prayer card or such with your tip at restaurants. Think of yourself as a lighthouse - people see you and you can change their day by simply smiling at them. I personally like to evangelize through normal day-to-day interactions. Saying something like, “Oh, I’m just coming from Mass and it was such a beautiful morning.” More than not, the person will ask what was beautiful? It can be small talk which seems insignificant - but the Lord will use it. Someone asks, what are your weekend plans? My church is having xyz or I’m going to Mass and that’s about it. You could say I really learn so much and love worshiping with others at my church.
 
Like so many others, I feared speaking of my faith. Then, DW “advised” me to attend a Life in the Spirit seminar which was conducted by our parish priest. I made the conscious decision to submit to whatever the Holy Spirit desired for me. Father laid hands on me and prayed.

I was slain in the Spirit, or rested in the spirit. After that, things began to change - slowly at first, then much more quickly. Love of the scriptures, the Rosary, the Chaplet of divine Mercy, Adoration, evangelizing.

We do not know our charisms until and unless we submit to the Holy Spirit.

There was no looking back.
 
Hooray an introvert thread!! Agree with everyone who’s posted. Read up on Therese of liseaux and her ‘little way’. And she’s a doctor of the church so small quiet actions of love are obviously pleasing to the Lord
 
My wife is VERY introvert, but she says more by not using words than my alligator mouth has said in twenty years. Love is evangelizing, and love is not about how much you say, but how much you do. Seeing her wear her crucifix, her Christian t-shirts, seeing her do small acts of kindness to others when we go out in public, just so many ways that Christ’s love shines through her!!

After all, every single introvert needs to remember this most of all…(James 1:22) “Be doers of the Word…”

The Word of God will not return void!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top