Invalid absolution formula

• Thread starter Thread starter luishfernandes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how unbelievably common this is, that’s pretty shocking.

Considering how unbelievably common this is, that’s pretty shocking.
It could be that I simply haven’t found it. But, the Vatican can apparently be quite slow with these things, as was the case with using “We baptize” instead of “I baptize”.

I believe certain Eastern rites use “forgive” in English and the French translation of the Roman formula is currently “pardonne”. I would guess it’s probably valid (this seems to be the feeling of every priest I found online who commented on it, including the “ossified manualist” Fr. Z), but still, why mess around? I also don’t think it’s wrong to give someone a heads up that a particular priest changes the rite around. If it’s for a proportionately good cause, it isn’t detraction.

Interestingly enough, Fr. Hardon uses “forgive” here:
Just as Jesus told the sinful woman, “Your sins are forgiven you,” and her sins were forgiven. Just as He told the repentant thief on Calvary, “Today you shall be with me in Paradise,” and the condemned criminal had his lifetime of sin forgiven–so this same Jesus forgives us our sins every time we go to Confession to one of His priests and he pronounces the words, “I forgive you your sins, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”
http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Sin/Sin_011.htm

Last edited:
No, you did not slander the priest.

The reason you have trouble finding “whether this is invalid or not,” is because the Church doesn’t work that way.
She gives the correct words (black) and correct actions (red) for all sacraments, right there in the ritual books. Holy Mother Church assumes its sacred ministers will “say the black and do the red.”
So when one doesn’t, it creates these back-and-forth discussions about whether it was valid or not, and illicit or not.

Personally, I would say that the celebration of the sacrament of Penance was validly celebrated.

There are occasions when the confessor doesn’t speak the language (or speak it well), and might struggle trying to remember the word “absolve;” perhaps substituting “forgive” instead.

In any regard, the penitent confessed in good faith, and should not worry. God knows the mind of the penitent, and supplies for a misspoken word of the confessor.

If there was some sort of agenda, some priest campaigning against “absolve” for some theological reason; you could speak with him about it outside of the confessional. That seems unlikely to me. Word would spread quickly, and another priest or the bishop would probably chat with him.

Rest easy, when you confess you are on the hook for being contrite and honest; the priest’s job is not your responsibility, nor should you obsess or worry about whether he said the words exactly correct, or loud enough, or in the proper language, etc. His job is to bind and loose, yours is to receive the the undeserved grace of Christ’s forgiveness of sins.

Heaven rejoices when a sinner turns back to God,
Deacon Christopher

Banana etc is just being silly.
Using I forgive (even if not correct) he is still acting in persona christi with the intent to absolve the penitent.
Have we really learned nothing from the recent, abominable, gut-wrenching, invalid baptism crisis?

40.png
Montrose:
Banana etc is just being silly.
Using I forgive (even if not correct) he is still acting in persona christi with the intent to absolve the penitent.
Have we really learned nothing from the recent, abominable, gut-wrenching, invalid baptism crisis
Well tell us the definitive answer. Priest disagree over this. If they disagree then how are we supposed to know if its invalid or valid but illicit. I certainly don’t know and I don’t think the scenario you are alluding to gives us the answer.

I advised a friend not to confess to such a priest because he used an invalid absolution formula, with respect to the priest without wanting to defame him. Did I slander?
I’ll leave the canonists to debate the validity or lack thereof of the word “forgive” being used in place of “absolution” but tbh I deliberately avoid other priests who I know play fast and loose with the words of absolution. As far as discouraging others goes, I try not to explicitly say “don’t go to Fr X” but I certainly don’t encourage it either. This isn’t so much about the priest’s conformity to the rubrics as much as it is about the penitent not being left wondering whether or not their confession was valid. Something as important as absolution of sins should never be left to speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back