C
C794
Guest
Is whether or not one is invincibly ignorant a concern for Protestants? Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we evangelize them?
Is whether or not one is invincibly ignorant a concern for Protestants?Is whether or not one is invincibly ignorant a concern for Protestants? Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we evangelize them?
It is LESS a concern for Christian protestants, who have received valid Christian Baptism. But, maybe, we should be MORE concerned with these.Is whether or not one is invincibly ignorant a concern for Protestants? Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we evangelize them?
Is whether or not one is invincibly ignorant a concern for Protestants? Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we evangelize them?
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20071203_nota-evangelizzazione_en.htmlTherefore, the work of ecumenism does not remove the right or take away the responsibility of proclaiming in fullness the Catholic faith to other Christians, who freely wish to receive it.
I completely agree. Many on these forums hold a pretty liberal view of invincible ignorance - almost to the faulty and heretical conclusion of universal salvation (even though they won’t call it that).yes, since with the availability of information and the many facets the truth can be known being invincibly ignorant is in reality a rare case
Has she received valid Christian Baptism (using water, and the Trinitarian Form)? If so, she has nothing to do with invincible ignorance (which applies only to pagans).I have become worried about invincible ignorance and culpability, but she seems on the road home.
But Protestants don’t believe in mortal and venial sin. They may claim that all sins are mortal to counter us, but I feel that their understanding is different. So are they really as accountable as we are when we commit a mortal sin? Doesn’t the fact that they don’t know they need confession mean that they have less culpability for not going? Does this mean that Protestants are in a worse position than pagans?Has she received valid Christian Baptism (using water, and the Trinitarian Form)? If so, she has nothing to do with invincible ignorance (which applies only to pagans).
If she is guilty of post-Batmisal mortal sin, she cannot hope that invincible ignorance will save her.
This is the really great sadness of protestantism. It offers eternal salvation (by Baptism), but no recourse (other than Catholic conversion) if someone falls into mortal sin afterward.
That’s an interesting question. I posted such a question on this Forum a few weeks ago. I was really hoping that one of the more “knowledgeable” Members would reply to the thread early, but I had no such luck - the thread quickly became an absolute quagmire of people who really do not understand mortal sin at all (but think they do). It got so bad that a moderator deleted the entire thread. He PM’d me to tell me he had killed it, and I thanked him for it.But Protestants don’t believe in mortal and venial sin… Doesn’t the fact that they don’t know they need confession mean that they have less culpability for not going?
Please share any insights you arrive at. I’d greatly appreciate itThat’s an interesting question. I posted such a question on this Forum a few weeks ago. I was really hoping that one of the more “knowledgeable” Members would reply to the thread early, but I had no such luck - the thread quickly became an absolute quagmire of people who really do not understand mortal sin at all (but think they do). It got so bad that a moderator deleted the entire thread. He PM’d me to tell me he had killed it, and I thanked him for it.
This got me more interested in an idea that has been kicking around in my head for a couple of years - an “advanced apologetics” forum, which is somewhat restricted (like the Ask an Apologist forum), but with a broader membership. The mod suggested that I mention my idea to Jo Benedict. But I would prefer to present a mature proposal, and I still haven’t worked out how an invitation to join would be extended (preferably within the limitations of the vBulletin system that this site is built upon).
But I can’t decide on a membership criteria (not even on a concrete suggestion). Should members nominate others, who would be voted up-or-down? (and, how would the initial membership be selected?) Should there be a minimum Forum seniority (join date and/or post count), and how would exceptions be handled? (such as, what if Dr. Scott Hahn wanted to join?) What would happen if a member kinda went off the rails (hey, it could happen. Bart Brewster is a Catholic priest (as was Arius and Martin Luther)). What would happen if an otherwise respected member got drunk and posted nonsense? I had initially thought that such a forum would not need a moderator, but maybe that’s wrong.
I cannot even decide to recommend that the forum be world-readable, or only available to members. I could see that people could easily misunderstand the theological nature of some discussions (such as: can a protestant consent to mortal sin if he doesn’t believe in mortal sin?) and misconstrue such discussions as being somehow rooted in Catholic doctrine (since it is, after all, an advanced apologetics forum of the world’s foremost English-language apologetics site). It is a complete minefield! If I wanted to create and manage an “advanced apologetics” forum on a website of my own, that would be one thing. But to operate under the auspices of catholic.com is another. There’s a reason why Catholic academic theologians often discuss and debate questions without attracting much attention to themselves. St Thomas Aquinas raised logical questions about the Immaculate Conception, and we occasionally get questions about why he “rejected” the idea. Aquinas asked questions, but he he has been perceived as rejecting.
I will be visiting my brother, Fr. Eric Filmer (of the “Ask an Apologist” Forum) in a few days, and I plan to discuss both questions with him. I’m sure he will have some valuable insight.