N
NekoNecro
Guest
Hello all!
I’ve a queary that I’m not really quite sure how to answer, perhaps one of you could shed some light on it for me
Concerning the Doctrine of invincible ignorance as propagated by the CCC, we are told that those, who for whatever reason are ignorant of the Gospel or the fullness of Church teaching not of their own free will, simply never having a chance to learn it will also find salvation.
An admirable and fair assessment I would agree, but I was browsing a few statements from the Council of Trent today and I found a few things like this…
**CANON 11: **If any one saith, that men are justified, either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ, or by the sole remission of sins, to the exclusion of the grace and the charity which is poured forth in their hearts by the Holy Ghost, and is inherent in them; or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is only the favour of God; let him be anathema.
This might not be the best example (just the one I have on my desktop at present) but there are a number of movements that are singled out in Papal encyclicals for special condemnation; from this we might assume that Bible alone Christians are to be condemned, even if they don’t know better. Take the new age movement which has been dubbed Satanic, are those who take part in Wicca also covered by Invincible Ignorance or are there faiths or denominations who are not covered by this doctrine?
Thank you.
I’ve a queary that I’m not really quite sure how to answer, perhaps one of you could shed some light on it for me
Concerning the Doctrine of invincible ignorance as propagated by the CCC, we are told that those, who for whatever reason are ignorant of the Gospel or the fullness of Church teaching not of their own free will, simply never having a chance to learn it will also find salvation.
An admirable and fair assessment I would agree, but I was browsing a few statements from the Council of Trent today and I found a few things like this…
**CANON 11: **If any one saith, that men are justified, either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ, or by the sole remission of sins, to the exclusion of the grace and the charity which is poured forth in their hearts by the Holy Ghost, and is inherent in them; or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is only the favour of God; let him be anathema.
This might not be the best example (just the one I have on my desktop at present) but there are a number of movements that are singled out in Papal encyclicals for special condemnation; from this we might assume that Bible alone Christians are to be condemned, even if they don’t know better. Take the new age movement which has been dubbed Satanic, are those who take part in Wicca also covered by Invincible Ignorance or are there faiths or denominations who are not covered by this doctrine?
Thank you.