Invisalign and communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter azgirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

azgirl

Guest
I am not sure where to post this. I just got invisalign braces a few weeks ago and have been adjusting to them. Anyone on here ever have them? If so, what did you do during communion? So far I have been taking them out to receive but am wondering if it would be ok to leave them in. I didn’t think to ask my dentist about this and don’t have an appointment for a few weeks. Look forward to your responses!
 
You’ll have to forgive me because I don’t know how Invisalign braces work. Do you normally take them out while eating?

If so, then I’d remove them for communion. Likewise if you receive on the tongue and the braces interfere with you opening your mouth wide enough.

If you normally leave them in while eating or drinking then I don’t see why you would remove them for communion.
 
You are supposed to remove them when eating and drinking. It has been a pain going to the bathroom during Mass to remove them. They are not as restrictive as braces may be. I can open my as normal. Hoping someone on here has used them and can give advice. Would prefer to not have to take them out but also don’t want to do anything that can cause damage to them.
 
If you are supposed to remove them before eating or drinking, it is probably best to remove them before Mass starts.
 
As a Catholic dentist who practices orthodontics, I feel qualified to answer this question:) You’re fine to leave your aligners in when taking Communion. If you allow the Body to normally dissolve, it will cause no harm to your Invisalign. And yes, a large amount of wine may possibly stain the plastic, but a weekly sip will not cause any discoloration. Taking Communion does not qualify as eating or drinking in the case of Invisalign.

Dr. B
 
As a Catholic dentist who practices orthodontics, I feel qualified to answer this question:) You’re fine to leave your aligners in when taking Communion. If you allow the Body to normally dissolve, it will cause no harm to your Invisalign. And yes, a large amount of wine may possibly stain the plastic, but a weekly sip will not cause any discoloration. Taking Communion does not qualify as eating or drinking in the case of Invisalign.

Dr. B
Thank You! Glad I asked 😃
 
Take them out, hold them in your hands, and receive on the tongue 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top