Invitation to a diwali event

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frankie65
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankie65

Guest
I’ve received a round robin email invite to a diwali event at work. I am a new member of staff and don’t know the team /person who sent the invite. I work in a large open plan office. Invite is to lunch to celebrate diwali and get into the 'diwali ’ spirit. Diwali or festival of light is big in some English cities due to the large number of Hindus. It’s pagan in other words.
Wondering what other people would do in this situation?
 
Just go and be thankful that you work in such a friendly office. They are not going to try to convert you.
 
If you do decide to go, then remember to pray quietly over your food.

The first day (October 25, 2019) is known as Dhanteras. “Dhan” means wealth and “teras” refers to the 13th day of a lunar fortnight on the Hindu calendar. This day is dedicated to celebrating prosperity. Goddess Lakshmi is believed to have come out of the churning of the ocean on this day and she is welcomed with a special puja (ritual). In addition, gold is traditionally purchased, and people gather to play cards and gamble. Ayurvedic doctors also honor Dhanvantari, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu who brought Ayurveda to mankind, on this day. There are a number of temples in Kerala and Tamil Nadu dedicated to Dhanvantari and Ayurveda.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
No I know that but they use the term ‘diwali spirit’. It rings alarm bells.
 
Thank you. It’s all about their ‘gods’ but hidden under food etc

Would anyone not go? Do anything else?
 
Last edited:
No I know that but they use the term ‘diwali spirit’. It rings alarm bells.
It just means happiness that there is light and goodwill in the world. Non-Christians refer to the Christmas Spirit and we know what they mean it’s the same sentiment. Were you thinking they were referring to a devil or something?
 
Non-Christians refer to the Christmas Spirit and we know what they mean it’s the same sentiment.
Is there really such a thing as “Christmas Spirit”? Or is that just an invention of card companies.

Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ and is one of the events in our redemption. Our proper spirit (attitude) for such a benefit is thankfulness. To God. For going through all that trouble to let us back into Heaven.
A non-believer is incapable of the Christmas Spirit.

They are, however, fully capable of generosity and enjoying friends and family and peacefulness.
 
I went to one of these events 2011. I was invited by an Indian lady I worked with and her
family. It was a huge event. They gave me something to wear that was a matching blouse and pants with a long scarf type garment that you drape behind you. I think the other type of garment that the women wore; a “Sari” wasn’t permitted for me to wear?
Anyways, it was very much like a festival and there were booths outside that had different foods, but inside was like a temple with some of the god’s featured at the front.
It was just a friendly festival event and no one was trying to convert me to becoming Hindu although I went to this event not knowing what I was getting into. I just put trust in the woman that invited me.
Really like Indian food so that was another reason I decided to attend.
Debbie
 
You should go. Experiencing other cultures/celebrations is so amazing. It’s not a sin, you don’t have to go to confession afterwards. I think we take the “don’t go to other churches, etc.” Way too seriously. Showing respect of others beliefs is crucial. It’s a way of showing love. Let your actions speak louder than your words, that is the ultimate expression of love your neighbor as yourself.
 
Last edited:
Were you thinking they were referring to a devil or something?
Here in my city it is a very big thing. They have temples and even the really big food stores will have big depictions of their gods. Elephant gods. To me they are demons so I guess yes is the answer to your question
 
I was once invited to a diwali event at a Hindu temple near me when I was sixteen. I went. If this event is in a temple there will be very large idols of their gods that they will pray to and offer the food to before hand. I recalled from reading scripture that we weren’t to eat food offered to idols, so I refrained.
 
Last edited:
I think we take the “don’t go to other churches, etc.” Way too seriously. Showing respect of others beliefs is crucial.
I suppose I do take it very seriously. I wondered if anyone else felt the same way. I don’t see myself attending the event and I am figuring out what to say if people ask why.

I’m not sure I am mandated to show respect to other religions but only kindness to people who might not believe in God (the only God)
 
Last edited:
Not sure where (what country) this person works, but in the West, if it’s at work, it’s unlikely to be religious, and more like the secular office Christmas party and not the full on religious festival noted above. (Even I haven’t experienced that). At my office Diwali event food is catered from restaurants, no religious element.

Having said that if you’re this nervous about it, then don’t go! Surely no one is forcing you to, and no one is interested in converting you!
 
If you don’t feel comfortable going, don’t go, but I don’t think you should see it as something sinful or against your faith.
 
If you have a big sweet tooth like I do I would enjoy the sweets.
My work place also had a Diwali festival and I got to enjoy Indian sweets such as gulab jamun and kaju katri (not sure how you spell it).
 
Last edited:
As suggested below, definitely don’t go if you’re allergic to carbs (joke) 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top