Invitation to a diwali event

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frankie65
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t be too afraid of pagan festivals. The ancient church was not, and in fact made it a means of evangelization.

The date of Christmas was chosen to coincide with the popular Roman festival of Sol Invictus; the earliest tradition is actually that Jesus was born on the same day he died (March 25) [Also the date we celebrate the Incarnation, nine months earlier]. There is worth in seeing the value of other cultural celebrations, even if they are pagan, and how the Holy Spirit illuminates all sincere human efforts to seek goodness.

Carefully read 1 Corinthians 8. St. Paul writes that pagan idols are really nothing. There is only one God, so don’t worry about eating food sacrificed to idols, because that is actually meaningless. It’s only a problem if you cause scandal to other Christians because they misunderstand something and misinterpret it as some sort of pagan worship.

We can eat with Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains and show appreciation for what is good and true in their culture. Pray earnestly for them, so that one day India will be a Christian country.
 
Last edited:
Oh, ok. My understanding is that there’s less church/state separation where you are. There are pros and cons to this, but on the pro side, freedom for faith traditions other than yours to be more open publicly also means you have the right/ freedom to do the same, right? Maybe you can participate in putting together your office’s Christmas party? It could be seen as a win/win for all faith traditions, again with the caveat that you really don’t need to go to festivities not related to your faith tradition if you don’t want to (and vice versa). Besides, you’re not doing anyone any favors if you come with a negative attitude when people are generally trying to be nice, right?
 
In England the public authorities put masses of energy into celebrating Muslim and Hindu events and also respect their gods and faith beliefs whatever so you will actually see models of gods and references to Ramadan (trying saying to a food store about Lent…no, wait, don’t bother) with a faith element attached.

A smidgen if we’re lucky , Christians…

What I’m saying is that the religious aspect is accepted wholesale. You don’t see that with Christian events. I guess it probably the same where you are though
 
My first instinct would be to avoid it based on first commandment grounds. Maybe be the person who “covers” for another to answer phones, do production support, etc.

Have you spoken to a priest about this? I would suggest to speak to a few different ones.
 
Thanks. That is also my instinct . Not sure how specific to be if asked why, though. If I say I’m a Catholic Christian and therefore I’d rather not partake. That’s what I want to say
 
From Canada here… I totally get what you’re saying. At my local garden centre, there are all kinds of Buddhist and Hindu statuary but, when I ask if they have any statues of the Virgin Mary or St. Francis, I get queer looks and a mumbled “no”.
 
Thanks. That is also my instinct . Not sure how specific to be if asked why, though. If I say I’m a Catholic Christian and therefore I’d rather not partake. That’s what I want to say
I’ll tell you what happened to me about 15 or so years ago. Some people from our offshore IT division in India came onshore for awhile. They brought some wood carvings as gifts. When one was offered to me, I inquired as to whether they were carvings of Hindu idols, and he replied it was. I then politely declined to accept it, indicating that idols were against my religion. It did not affect my career. Of course, I’m in the US and know who to call if any retaliation were to occur, so I would advise you to check into your legal rights so you are prepared.
 
40.png
CoffeeFanatic:
If this event is in a temple
No it is in my workplace but it will be interesting if they have diwali accoutrements other than food…
Here’s a radical idea … How about taking to whoever is organising it and asking them what will be happening. Then you can make an informed rather than.ignorant decision.
 
It’s an event celebrating diwali.
It consists of food.
We’re all invited.
That’s it

I’ll ignore the bit about ignorance. Maybe something lost in translation.
 
Last edited:
To you and powder coated: things are different where I am. Plenty of Saint Francis and Virgin Mary statues in any garden store. If there are events with religious connections in theory, they are secularized without religious content. Company doesn’t sponsor any religious events.

With respect to England, there is a state religion and formal vacation for Christmas right? As for what happens in food stores, that seems to be based on what sells locally? Our grocery stores have zero Hindu items and plenty of catholic Candles with Saint and Jesus pictures. But that’s likely to cater to the local population/ demographics.
 
It was just a friendly festival event and no one was trying to convert me to becoming Hindu although I went to this event not knowing what I was getting into. I just put trust in the woman that invited me.
Really like Indian food so that was another reason I decided to attend.
Debbie
That would be my main reason for attending. 😃
 
With respect to England, there is a state religion and formal vacation for Christmas right? As for what happens in food stores, that seems to be based on what sells locally?
Yes we do have formal vacation for Xmas…for the moment…who knows when that will finally end and we will be an officially atheist (or secular?) country. It’s heading that way. In twenty years’ time I think Christianity will be a minority faith… if not extinct altogether
I’m not going to attend the diwali event as I see it as offering a pinch of incense to their ‘gods’ . If I get asked and it’ll only be my immediate colleague as I’m new and no one really knows me I’ll just try to explain how I feel.
 
Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with joining people in celebrations as a show of friendship and respect. It’s also a learning experience. It’s a big world out there and I find on this board, a lot of Catholics seem afraid of the world.
 
I think you could go as long as they do not try to “convert” you or make you disbelief our catholic teachings.
 
I think I’m more afraid of compromising with the spirit of the world. As soon as I join their celebrations I’m celebrating with a bunch of people who think their gods need worshipping (diwali is about hindu gods). Doesn’t matter if they don’t do it there and then and they don’t expect me to go to a temple anytime soon. I’ve crossed the line. Compromise
 
I wouldn’t go, mostly because I don’t find it interesting.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top