N
nsper7
Guest
Is an overactive imagination sinful? By this I mean a Walter Mitty type of imagination. For example, I might imagine being a dictator or even a Priest (granted, I do feel a desire for Holy Order) or Bishop or Pope or terrorist mastermind. If I am watching TV or a movie, I might envision myself as one of the characters in the movie (good or bad).
I also will envision ‘scenes’ (to borrow a script/screenplay term) in my head, sometimes thinking that one day I might put them onto paper. For example, stemming from my college days (only a few months ago to be quite honest), I had a fixation on Sorority girls and so I used to envision this whole plot where a major plague/disaster strikes America and me/my character plans to take over and win the love/respect of Sorority girls. All the while, me/my character is forced to interact with all sorts of ‘important’ people (i.e. actors/actresses, other leaders, etc.) and often these Mitty-ish imagining involves me/my character wanting some kind of validation/respect/love.
Sometimes, I envision myself as an evil/bad leader or as some kind of criminal mastermind. For example, during my college days fixation on Sorority girls, I envisioned a mastermind called the Omega (from all those Greek letters) although he is male and has nothing to do with Sororities and had the idea to try and write a movie serial (although I am only in my 20s, I got introduced the movie serials from many decades ago). In the screenplay (I got a few chapters done), I actually include a character based on myself who is the mastermind, although it would not be revealed until the last chapter (never got that far in the writing though).
I also worry that my imagination gets sacrilegious or something. In one of my recent incarnations of the Omega mastermind idea/Mitty-ish escapist imaginations, his hideout is an old Church and he issues his orders from behind a Confessional screen so as to maintain anonymity. Sometimes, I have envisioned a bad guy (not necessarily myself) who is some high-up in the Catholic hierarchy (i.e. an Archbishop) who is either a terrorist mastermind/zealous regional dictator in his own right or simply a murderer or something who is being investigated. In another idea, I thought of like a character who helps/rescues the Pope from terrorists. Sometimes, not related to the Catholic Church, the characters use crucifixion as a punishment or whatnot and I also worry that that is sacrilegious.
Is this kind of escapist imagination sinful? I worry that it falls under hateful thoughts (i.e. when thinking of either being an evil character), inappropriate thoughts, fixations (is this even a sin?) or sacrilegious thoughts (i.e. the terrorists who uses a Confessional as part of his issuing of orders to maintain anonymity or the evil Archbishop). If it is sinful, would it fall under mortal or venial sin?
I also will envision ‘scenes’ (to borrow a script/screenplay term) in my head, sometimes thinking that one day I might put them onto paper. For example, stemming from my college days (only a few months ago to be quite honest), I had a fixation on Sorority girls and so I used to envision this whole plot where a major plague/disaster strikes America and me/my character plans to take over and win the love/respect of Sorority girls. All the while, me/my character is forced to interact with all sorts of ‘important’ people (i.e. actors/actresses, other leaders, etc.) and often these Mitty-ish imagining involves me/my character wanting some kind of validation/respect/love.
Sometimes, I envision myself as an evil/bad leader or as some kind of criminal mastermind. For example, during my college days fixation on Sorority girls, I envisioned a mastermind called the Omega (from all those Greek letters) although he is male and has nothing to do with Sororities and had the idea to try and write a movie serial (although I am only in my 20s, I got introduced the movie serials from many decades ago). In the screenplay (I got a few chapters done), I actually include a character based on myself who is the mastermind, although it would not be revealed until the last chapter (never got that far in the writing though).
I also worry that my imagination gets sacrilegious or something. In one of my recent incarnations of the Omega mastermind idea/Mitty-ish escapist imaginations, his hideout is an old Church and he issues his orders from behind a Confessional screen so as to maintain anonymity. Sometimes, I have envisioned a bad guy (not necessarily myself) who is some high-up in the Catholic hierarchy (i.e. an Archbishop) who is either a terrorist mastermind/zealous regional dictator in his own right or simply a murderer or something who is being investigated. In another idea, I thought of like a character who helps/rescues the Pope from terrorists. Sometimes, not related to the Catholic Church, the characters use crucifixion as a punishment or whatnot and I also worry that that is sacrilegious.
Is this kind of escapist imagination sinful? I worry that it falls under hateful thoughts (i.e. when thinking of either being an evil character), inappropriate thoughts, fixations (is this even a sin?) or sacrilegious thoughts (i.e. the terrorists who uses a Confessional as part of his issuing of orders to maintain anonymity or the evil Archbishop). If it is sinful, would it fall under mortal or venial sin?