Is anyone here a Contemplative?

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robertaf

I love Contemplative Prayer.
I am wondering if any of you have been into Contemplative Prayer?
How has it changed your Spiritual life?

You ask tough question, because it can be interpreted in many ways.
  1. Are you a member of a Contemplative Order?
  2. Do you practice Contemplative prayer?
  3. Have you experienced the Unitive Presence of God?
To the first no, to the second two yes.

As to how it has changed my life, it definitely has. My first encounter with it, humbled me greatly. At the time I thought of myself as “Homosuperiorus” and God showed me Himself in His totalness. :bigyikes:

Since then it varies, but helps me to grow closer to God and to share myself with him.

I try to make myself always present to God and sometimes He lets me feel His presence, sometimes He lets me share in Him, and sometimes it feels like I am all alone.

40.png
robertaf:
I love Contemplative Prayer.
I am wondering if any of you have been into Contemplative Prayer?
How has it changed your Spiritual life?
Is contemplative prayer when you praise and address God to the extend of your knowledge of Him?

What is the difference between Contemplative and one who Meditates?

Is Contemplating the practice of bringing yourself in the presence of God and so, hopefully, get to know Him better and become more united to Him?

How do you practice it when you have a very busy life?

I know, I am asking many questions. I am aware that books have been written about contemplation, but I never seem to be able to finish any of them.

I think I read in one of the books of St Teresa of Avila that when you don’t meditate and comtemplate, it is practically impossible to get to Heaven. In this respect I’ll am a hopeless case. I just keep repeating and say “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on my soul” or “Jesus I place all my trust in you.”

Thank you for any answers you might be able to give me.

40.png
Theodora:
I think I read in one of the books of St Teresa of Avila that when you don’t meditate and comtemplate, it is practically impossible to get to Heaven. In this respect I’ll am a hopeless case. I just keep repeating and say “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on my soul” or “Jesus I place all my trust in you.”
St. Teresa of Avila also talks about one of her nuns who was not able to do comtemplative prayer but she greatly admired her ability at vocal prayer and wished she could imitate it. Not all will advance in their prayer life by using meditation and imagination and if not they should use any form of prayer that helps them to grow closer to God.

As a secular Discalced Carmelite we are to practice at least 30 minutes of comptemplative prayer a day. If you are able to fit this into your schedule this is a wonderful aid in your prayer life. I try to do spriritual reading prior to attempting comtemplation as to provide fuel for what to think on. St. Teresa also used this method for a time before it was unable to aid her further.

Thank you Atheist2Theist for your answer. 30 minutes is quite a managable time, keeping in mind where one wants to spend the next life for all eternity. If I am not given any lofty inspirations by God, so be it… God must have a reason for not giving them to me. Again, thank you very much for your answer.

Theodora

I don’t know if this qualifies as “contemplative” per se, but I cannot get Jesus out of my head. He is always there. In fact, sometimes he can be annoying, because He tolerates no imperfection in me. Any little venial sin is punctuated for me immediately.

I love Him, DEEPLY, but he drives me a little crazy. LOL!

I also have this wierd fantasy that I run through when I goto sleep. I imagine that I’m this futuristic female soldier who is chasing a bunch of Muslims who run through a time machine that takes them back to the days of Christ. They are intent in killing Jesus before His time, preventing the redemptive act.

My job is to catch the baddies. So me and my soldiers, all of whom are under MY command pursue them through the time machine.

Then I imagine what it would be like to either
  1. Accidently run into Jesus Christ. Would I recognize him? What would he look like? Would He rebuke me for traveling back in time? Would he speak American English? How would I react upon seeing Him? (On my last fantasy I dropped to my knees and cried. I awoke from my nap with tears in my eyes).
  2. To purposefully seek Him out so that he can warn him of the danger. How would we find him? What would we say to Him? How would the people of that time react to us? etc…
  3. Would Jesus be willing to come back to the present time for a day? If he did, could we hide Him? Would people recognize Him if he were dressed in blue jeans and a T shirt? Would Jesus get himself thrown in jail? etc…
Is this sort of thing contemplation??? Can one be contemplative without realizing it?

Yes. I am strange. I admit it. LOL!!!

40.png
TheGrowingGrape:
I don’t know if this qualifies as “contemplative” per se, but I cannot get Jesus out of my head. He is always there. In fact, sometimes he can be annoying, because He tolerates no imperfection in me. Any little venial sin is punctuated for me immediately.

I love Him, DEEPLY, but he drives me a little crazy. LOL!

I also have this wierd fantasy that I run through when I goto sleep. I imagine that I’m this futuristic female soldier who is chasing a bunch of Muslims who run through a time machine that takes them back to the days of Christ. They are intent in killing Jesus before His time, preventing the redemptive act.

My job is to catch the baddies. So me and my soldiers, all of whom are under MY command pursue them through the time machine.

Then I imagine what it would be like to either
  1. Accidently run into Jesus Christ. Would I recognize him? What would he look like? Would He rebuke me for traveling back in time? Would he speak American English? How would I react upon seeing Him? (On my last fantasy I dropped to my knees and cried. I awoke from my nap with tears in my eyes).
  2. To purposefully seek Him out so that he can warn him of the danger. How would we find him? What would we say to Him? How would the people of that time react to us? etc…
  3. Would Jesus be willing to come back to the present time for a day? If he did, could we hide Him? Would people recognize Him if he were dressed in blue jeans and a T shirt? Would Jesus get himself thrown in jail? etc…
Is this sort of thing contemplation??? Can one be contemplative without realizing it?

Yes. I am strange. I admit it. LOL!!!
I wouldn’t say strange. I’d say imaginative! At least, the beginning of meditation (the seed of contemplation.) I think in contemplation God takes the initiative.

Meditation would be right up your alley. In one form of meditation, you place yourself in God’s presence. Pray for the Holy Spirit to come. Read something in Scripture; say from a narrative about the birth of Jesus. Then you imagine yourself there; maybe in the field with the shepherds. Open the eyes and ears of your heart and wait, look and listen as the scene unfolds and the action begins. Then maybe journey with them to the stable and enter at Mary’s invitation. Let your heart lead you. You already know the basics.

Aye… After reading more of my faith… the more I learn, the more I find myself to be contemplative… Plus I have learned my personality type and St. John of the Cross matches mine… That is how I got started to be contemplative…

I am contemplative, period. :gopray2:

I have a very special and favorite time I like to pray.
I love to get up before dawn, while it is still dark and take a cup of coffee outside and sit in the quiet. Of course, I mean in the Summertime. 🙂
It has always been so easy for me to get into contemplation this way. I simply focus on Jesus and it seems the Holy Spirit does the rest.

I remember the first time I read St. Francis de Sales Introduction to the Devout Life, and learned the way to meditate. I can say prayer was never again the same for me…I now feel, well, “connected” in a way that I had never been before.

JELane

ohhh…like meditation…I’ts impossible, I can’t do it. I can write to God but I just go blank or think about stupid things when I try to contemplate God

Basically, I meditate on Scripture in a variety of ways, but it’s not like meditation with the repetitive chanting (I can’t think of what that’s called right now). And it’s not just meditation with only the point of relaxation, but rather to summon up affection (you’d be surprised how much love can well up in your heart sometimes), which is actually an incredible state of prayer to be in.

All of our minds probably wander at one point or another, but you acknowledge it, don’t let the distraction get to you, and move on with the contemplation. Of course if the distraction is persistant (like a 6 y.o. banging on the door or Sponge Bob blasting in the background), well, then I just move on to a more basic prayer of thanks, penance, petition, etc.

JELane

40.png
Theodora:
Is contemplative prayer when you praise and address God to the extend of your knowledge of Him?

What is the difference between Contemplative and one who Meditates?

Is Contemplating the practice of bringing yourself in the presence of God and so, hopefully, get to know Him better and become more united to Him?

How do you practice it when you have a very busy life?

I know, I am asking many questions. I am aware that books have been written about contemplation, but I never seem to be able to finish any of them.

Words here are important, we can be contemplative, and we can meditate, predisposing ourselves to contemplation-but only God can or will initate our contemplation of Him, we do not.

Thank you for any answers you might be able to give me.

This is a short version “Outline fo Meditation”

General purpose: to hold loving conversation with Christ
  1. Preperation: Place oneself in the presence of Christ
  2. Selection of the materials: Read or study a picture of Christ
  3. Consideration: Reflect upon the material, Ask onself the questions: who, what, why, for what reason?
  4. Conversation: (core fo the Meditation): Converse with Our Lord about the material, Employ the affections of love, adoration, thanksgiving, sorrow, petition.
  5. Conclusion: Gratitude to Christ for favors received. Examination of faults during meditation, and resolution of further effort in succeeding meditations.
These are the 5 general steps in St. Teresa’s method of meditation, start with 5 minutes and build up as you can, do not be concerned if you have distractions that is normal.

40.png
robertaf:
I have a very special and favorite time I like to pray.
I love to get up before dawn, while it is still dark and take a cup of coffee outside and sit in the quiet. Of course, I mean in the Summertime. 🙂
It has always been so easy for me to get into contemplation this way. I simply focus on Jesus and it seems the Holy Spirit does the rest.
AMEN TO THAT!
I HAVE BEEN A LAY MEMBER OF A CONTEMPLATIVE RELIGIOUS ORDER FOR THREE YEARS. THE DAILY TIME I SPEND IN QUIET PRAYER HAS BEEN LIFE CHANGING. I FIND THAT IT BANISHES ALL STRESS AND GIVES YOU GREAT APPRECIATION OF THE GRACE OF GOD.

I practice a form of contemplative prayer. Having come to the Church through the teachings and devotions of Divine Mercy, I have taken the signature to the Divine Mercy Image - “Jesus I Trust In You”.This prayer I continue to revolve in my mind, both at times of formal meditation/prayer morning and evening and also throughout the day as I feel prompted. This has the effect of both focusing the mind and attuning my heart to the Lord. Repeating the prayer rhythmically with the breath is also helpful in bringing mind and heart together in communion with the Lord. The prayer acts as a tuning fork and helps create an inner state of love and peace in which Communion takes place. In the end, one is simply with the Lord in silence.These things are not easy to describe.

I’m confused. What is the definition of Contemplative Prayer and how does it differ from meditation?

I haven’t been Confirmed yet, so maybe this is why I don’t understand. We DO recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit at Baptism, but at Confirmation, we are imprinted with the mark of the Holy Spirit on our soul. As an unconfirmed Catholic, I feel like I’m still missing something.

(The story of my lacking confirmation is too long and miserable to tell. Needless to say, I’ve given up trying to get this sacrament. And boy did I try!!! My parish has sealed this sacrament with so much red tape it would take a chainsaw to cut through it).

I’m really not sure what you all talking about. Is contemplation simply thinking about God? Cause I do that 24/7. Or are you saying that God COMES to you when you pray to the Holy Spirit, and that He speaks to you though the Holy Spirit???

Quote:* General purpose: to hold loving conversation with Christ*

1. Preperation: Place oneself in the presence of Christ
2. Selection of the materials: Read or study a picture of Christ
3. Consideration: Reflect upon the material, Ask onself the questions: who, what, why, for what reason?
4. Conversation: (core fo the Meditation): Converse with Our Lord about the material, Employ the affections of love, adoration, thanksgiving, sorrow, petition.
5. Conclusion: Gratitude to Christ for favors received. Examination of faults during meditation, and resolution of further effort in succeeding meditations

Regarding this: I have a tendency, when I read ANYTHING, to memorize it. My brain is a sponge, and I remember almost everything I read. Almost photographic, but not literally. My good memory is a gift, but it can be a problem because I get lazy. Memorizing is cake. It’s easy. Understanding what I read and deep reflection upon the material requires an unlazy brain.

My attention wanders a lot, and I’m easily distracted. Sometimes I’ve even had to pray with earplugs in my ears during Adoration! It’s like my brain wants to absorb everything around me. It’s hard to control my outa control brain. LOL!

Maybe I should just stick with the Rosaries, Novenas, and chaplets. LOL!

40.png
TheGrowingGrape:
I’m confused. What is the definition of Contemplative Prayer and how does it differ from meditation?

The terms “contemplation” and “meditation” are often used interchangeably. This is common but can be confusing. Properly speaking, “contemplation,” in it’s purest sense, means “mystical” contemplation or “infused” contemplation or "passive contemplation. All three of those adjectives indicate that it is God who gives this prayer as pure gift. It is God who initiates it by acting upon the person directly. We can’t do it!

However, “contemplation” has been used in this forum in a broader sense. The person praying places himself before God and gathers, so to speak, his natural abilities to place them at God’s disposal and calls on the Holy Spirit. Forms, of course, vary as you notice different people here have described. Basically a person quiets himself and gives God a time and space in their day to become His. In this prayer, it is the person who is active using his mind to think, reason, and imagine. The soul’s natural affections are also in play allowing the person to feel his devotion and love for God. You allow yourself a quiet time in which to experience God’s love. It’s a time to “Be still and know that I am God.” When the person praying is experiencing “dryness” in prayer, he usually gets no “warm fuzzies” but nonetheless trustingly lifts his heart to God. The person thinks, and wills and makes acts of faith, hope and love, The person wills to be united with God and directed by God.

This last description would fit “meditation”, if we mean a spiritual mediation. We reflect upon God and as our mind wanders as it will, we gently focus again on the things of God. If are minds wander a thousand times, it means we have the opportunity to chose God a thousand time. In “meditation”, the intellect and will are occupied thinking about God. We may ask ourselves questions and use a scripture or spiritual reading to oil the gears and get our prayer in motion. However, this prayer is more than just thinking, because we are here chosing, loving and finding motivation to help us love and serve God. We are forging a relationship with God which St. Teresa of Avila calls"an intimate sharing between friends." Some people call this “mental pray”. I think it was also St. Teresa who pointed out that even vocal prayer is mental prayer because we should be thinking about what we are saying.

I think that’s the long and short of it.

40.png
TheGrowingGrape:
The terms “contemplation” and “meditation” are often used interchangeably. This is common but can be confusing. Properly speaking, “contemplation,” in it’s purest sense, means “mystical” contemplation or “infused” contemplation or "passive contemplation. All three of those adjectives indicate that it is God who gives this prayer as pure gift. It is God who initiates it by acting upon the person directly. We can’t do it!

However, “contemplation” has been used in this forum in a broader sense. The person praying places himself before God and gathers, so to speak, his natural abilities to place them at God’s disposal and calls on the Holy Spirit. Forms, of course, vary, as different people here have described. Basically a person quiets himself and gives God a time and space in their day with the intention of becoming all His. In this prayer, it is the person who is active using his mind to think, reason, and imagine. The soul’s natural affections are also in play allowing the person to feel his devotion and love for God. You allow yourself a quiet time in which to experience God’s love. It’s a time to “Be still and know that I am God.” When the person praying is experiencing “dryness” in prayer, he usually gets no “warm fuzzies” but, nonetheless, trustingly lifts his heart to God. The person thinks, and wills and makes acts of faith, hope and love, The person wills to be united with God and directed to God.

This last description would fit “meditation”, if we mean a spiritual mediation. We reflect upon God and as our mind wanders as it will, we gently focus again on the things of God. If are minds wander a thousand times, it means we have the opportunity to chose God a thousand times. In “meditation”, the intellect and will are occupied thinking about God. We may ask ourselves questions and use a scripture or spiritual reading to oil the gears and get our prayer in motion. However, this prayer is more than just thinking, because we are here chosing, loving and finding motivation to help us love and serve God. We are forging a relationship with God which St. Teresa of Avila calls “an intimate sharing between friends.” Some people call this “mental pray”. I think it was also St. Teresa who pointed out that even vocal prayer is mental prayer because we should be thinking about what we are saying.

I think that’s the long and short of it.

huh. That helps make things clearer. Thanks for the explanation.

My answer would then be, no, I am not a Contemplative. I have a VERY hard time quieting my mind.

The problem is … if there is another person in the Adoration Chapel with me … and if I can hear them shuffling or praying, then I get distracted. If I insert ear plugs, they start to hurt my ears after 20 minutes. Then, I end up leaving the chapel with an earache.

However, if I am alone in the Chapel, I might be able to do it. I haven’t really tried it. I can’t do it at home because my cats bug me when I pray. They rub their noses on my prayer books or try to eat my rosary.

What I usually do is pray with a scriptual rosary book that has a meditation available for each Hail Mary. Even so, my mind STILL wanders! Praying, for me, takes a GREAT deal of concentration in order to stay focused. As such, praying makes me VERY tired! For every hour of meditative prayer, I have to go home and sleep for at least an hour to regain my strength.

I’ll try contemplative prayer sometime. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back