Is anyone here a Contemplative?

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
TheGrowingGrape:
Then I imagine what it would be like to either
  1. Accidently run into Jesus Christ. Would I recognize him? What would he look like? Would He rebuke me for traveling back in time? Would he speak American English? How would I react upon seeing Him? (On my last fantasy I dropped to my knees and cried. I awoke from my nap with tears in my eyes).
  2. To purposefully seek Him out so that he can warn him of the danger. How would we find him? What would we say to Him? How would the people of that time react to us? etc…
  3. Would Jesus be willing to come back to the present time for a day? If he did, could we hide Him? Would people recognize Him if he were dressed in blue jeans and a T shirt? Would Jesus get himself thrown in jail? etc…
What you describe above is the type of thought that can go into a meditation. Focus doesn’t mean you won’t be distracted. Distraction is a part of our being human and our chosing God. Just getting back to God and making that effort part of your gift to God is pleasing to God. Taking whatever you get in your effort and giving it to God is very pleasing to God. Not focusing on results also frees us to do it again and again. If you’re thinking of God “24/7” you’re already making him a habit and a priority.

Good Morning Church

I think, for me, meditation is the first step to contemplation.

Once I get myself, body, mind and spirit quieted down, I get into meditation. This is one reason I like early dawn. After sleep, I tend to be quiet to begin with.
Meditation is then an act of my will. I love to meditate on Jesus.
When the Holy Spirit takes over, he is in charge. He leads me into Contemplation.
For me, there is different levels. This seems quite literal. I end up in a very dark, silent place where I feel in communion with the Holy Trinity.
Another thing about this sort of prayer. For a number of years, now, I have not been able to pray at this level. I have tried by an act of my will but I get nowhere.
I often wonder how other folks experience this.

40.png
Meggie:
ohhh…like meditation…I’ts impossible, I can’t do it. I can write to God but I just go blank or think about stupid things when I try to contemplate God
Meggie, you might want to consider trying these “written meditations”. They are from Orientations, by John Veltri, S.J. (an online prayer book):

A written meditation on scripture:

sentex.net/~jveltri/bob/page2.htm#33

A written meditation on personal experience:

sentex.net/~jveltri/bob/page2.htm#35

These could serve as a helpful bridge between your writing to God and your meditation. Hope these help, Peace.

40.png
robertaf:
Good Morning Church

I think, for me, meditation is the first step to contemplation.

Once I get myself, body, mind and spirit quieted down, I get into meditation. This is one reason I like early dawn. After sleep, I tend to be quiet to begin with.
Meditation is then an act of my will. I love to meditate on Jesus.
When the Holy Spirit takes over, he is in charge. He leads me into Contemplation.
For me, there is different levels. This seems quite literal. I end up in a very dark, silent place where I feel in communion with the Holy Trinity.
Another thing about this sort of prayer. For a number of years, now, I have not been able to pray at this level. I have tried by an act of my will but I get nowhere.
I often wonder how other folks experience this.
I can understand what you are saying because I was where you were and then prayer became very difficult. Fr. Thomas Dubay has written a book called “Fire Within” that explains a lot of what is happening to you. When you get further along in this prayer you feel as if you are not praying at all anymore and that your prayers are no good. Fr. says that actually means that you are really praying deeper. He says to just not get anxious and to just be there and that you can go in and out of stages of this prayer. Sometimes I’ll be in front of the Blessed Sacrament at my Holy hour and nothing seems like it is happening but that’s because I think at some point all feelings are taken away and you pray with a blind faith but the only way you can tell that the prayers you are saying are effective is that you see changes for the better in your spiritual life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back