Is asexuality a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gingertoast
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asexual is not being attracted to guys or girls, it’s not not identifying with a gender. I’m a girl, I was born a girl, and will always be a girl. I’ve just never been attracted in any way to neither boys or girls. But thanks for your concern.
 
I disagree sorry but there are people who are asexual in the world as medical people have proven.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
 
In our era it seems common to make a point of anyone and everyone’s sexual feelings. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, non-sexual, and on and on. I think it is all nonsense. There are men and women. That’s all. If one is not married and not looking, that’s as it should be. Sexual feelings are not our primary identity, nor should they be.
 
The Virgin Mary is exempt from all 7 of the deadly sins. And she by no means thinks she is above God.

Anyway, OP, I also don’t get why people are insisting that you should see a doctor merely because you lack sexual or romantic feelings. It’s not like it’s interfering with your day to day life.
 
I’m happy for you that you know better than most people. God bless you and your celebacy.

From what I have seen in my years the leap from asexuality to gender dysphoria flows along the lines of
I am not sexually attracted to any of the two genders
because I am not attracted to either of the genders, I don’t have a gender that conforms with the CIS-normative definition of gender
Ergo, I have no gender
Again, it doesn’t happen to everyone that wants to be celibate, but if you start introducing secular left wing ideology. I live in a very liberal City in a left-wing state (IL), I know how these college professors and college kids think. This is the type of stuff they put themselves through. From your responses throughout this entire thread I’m personally not worried about you, but I don’t know how young you are so I don’t know how impressionable you are. Just remember that God and His holy family love you very much and would hate to see you do something terrible to your body.

And who knows maybe this just maybe a phase and down the road you find yourself a nice man that is husband material and he makes you a wife. Maybe you take my advice and give your complete and whole life to God through the monastic life. God love you either way.
 
Last edited:
I recall reading once that Pope John XXIII said he had never committed a sin of impurity. It is entirely possible that he was asexual. Some older catechisms refer to a person having “the gift of celibacy”. Perhaps this is what they were referring to. The nitty-gritty details of all this were simply not discussed in those days.

I have known people who were inexplicably single — being a man, I would of course notice this more in women. Attractive, intelligent, good personalities, but for some reason they remained single, and some of them were never in any obvious relationship. Just not interested. They could have been asexual.

And it is none of anybody’s business. By all means, see a doctor if this is a concern for you, but in any case, you are OK just the way you are. And no one is entitled to an explanation.
 
Jesus said that there are persons who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Singleness is a gift for some people. Paul was single and Jesus was single. God would have rebuked them if they were committing a sin by being celibate. If that’s what the Lord is leading you to, I say go for it. 🙂
 
It’s because attraction,like every other feeling,is a part of the human emotion and it is usually an indication of something if a person is not able to feel it.
It can vary person to person and across different cultures.
Eg:not everyone is romantic by personality and not everyone feels “big chemistry and sparks” -for some people it’s more subtle but generally most people can feel some sort of attraction or desire for other person.

Celibacy is more a person first having those desires,but then choosing not to act on them.

Even if you went to a doctor I doubt there is much they could give you tbh.Unfortunately much of this is still under research and there are no medicines given for social behaviour.

Some sort of cognitive/autism type therapy might help but to work it would be dependent on you being able to perceive those feelings in others in the first place (in movies etc).

It’s true that a lot of society is built around obsession with sex and romance but I don’t think that’s why people mentioned about seeing doctors.
It’s probably more that posters don’t want to see you miss out on a part of life that brings joy.

Regardless,your not alone even if it doesn’t change and I have heard of other people who feel this way but still have happy marriages:)
You might find a guy (I presume your a girl?) on a friends or hobby basis and it might lead to marriage.

A lot of people place huge importance on chemistry in relationships but chemistry can sometimes fizzle out as people get to know each other better.

I read this beautiful story about a Catholic widowed priest who married a woman with Schizophrenia in his youth.
He still fell in love with her despite the condition.

https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/from-rich-to-poor-married-to-priest/
 
Last edited:
I have to say that while people mean well, assuming that someone who says they are asexual is physically or mentally ill and needs “therapy” is a bit insulting, especially when the person does not put it in any sort of negative light such as their asexuality is making them lonely, unable to have close friendships, they wish they had a sex drive, etc.

An asexual person will live the same life as a person who has voluntarily chosen celibacy. Both groups of people can have close platonic friends. The only difference is that the asexual person won’t struggle with sexual urges. There are non-asexual celibate people who for whatever reason (priorities, hormones, etc) also don’t struggle much with such urges. And in the end, sexual attraction is like enjoying chocolate dessert. Many people love chocolate dessert, some overindulge, some like it once in a while, some would like it but choose not to have it, and some don’t want it at all…and it’s not necessary for life.
It’s also not a disorder if you don’t want any.

The only thing I’d say is that the OP here seems to be young and it may be that their body is still growing or developing and a sex drive could possibly present itself later. But it also might not.
 
Last edited:
How come most of you said for me to see a doctor?
Because true asexuality is rare (not nonexistent, but rare) and might be a symptom of a medical issue that has no other apparent signs. So basically just out of concern for your health.
 
What would I give to be in your position? Sounds so much easier. Anyway, I agree with the rest of the posters in saying that you should check in with your doctor. There may be an underlying problem that’s affecting your libido.
 
Chin up Gingertoast.

At least you’re not under the control of raging hormones which could lead to bad decisions and problems in life which could have been preventable.

You’re still young and not done growing up. Your attractions could appear anytime in the future.

I have had friends who proclaimed they were asexual when we were teens. They are now happily married with children.
 
Last edited:
I see no sin at all in what you’ve described. But I would encourage you, as a young person, to beware of centering your identity on your sexual preferences. Your sexual preferences are just a very small part of who you are. But our society has gone completely astray and made our sexual desires the very centerpiece and most important part of our identity. It’s nonsense. You are far more than your sexual desires (or your lack thereof). Plunge yourself into the love of God, and forget about sex for a while. Grow in all the amazing ways God created you for. Seek God and find all the amazing things he has prepared for you to become!
 
Last edited:
I wish I had that condition.
I think many of us have had this wish when our sex drive unfortunately causes us to feel desire for someone who is not available to us, or who we know logically would be a really bad choice to get involved with. Or, of course, when it causes us to fall into sin.
 
Not an expert by any means, but no idea why that would be a sin. Live your life. Enjoy it. You just won’t be married.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top