Is borrowing something without notifying the owner a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter TryingCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If borrowing something without notifying the owner is a sin then what I´m currently wearing makes me sinful haha as I took my sister´s sweatpants this morning 🤣 🤣 but for what it matters, I will give it back to her sometime soon haha.
If your sister has given you blanket permission to borrow her clothes without asking each time, and you always return them, then not stealing.
She was sleeping at the time, I woundn´t want to bother her. We actually have a good relationship, so I think it´s fine
Okay, good, as long as you tell her promptly.

Last edited:
I borrowed some money from a piggy bank (yeah I know…) and I plan to give it back very shortly, did I commit the sin of theft since the piggy bank was not mine ? It was a small amount of money equivalent to 5 dollars.
Its actually stealing. Dont sugar coat it.

Of course the amount is relative. Five dollars in a piggy bank of my 7 year old is different than 5 dollars from an adult.
The point is, willfully breaking a commandment is really a not good thing to do. The poster stole five dollars. Sure. But what else was involved. Not loving your neighbor, not living God and keeping His commands. If my child had a sibling steal 5 dollars, it would be Serious.

I would assume so, but not 100% certain.
Could you clarify your circumstances?

Or since it’s not necessary for you to answer questions to satisfy our idle curiosity, but only in case you need more precise answers to figure out what applies to your specific situation… have the answers you’ve already received enabled you to answer your question?

PS remember that you will become 100% certain about whether borrowing the money was okay or not when you very next see the person you borrowed it from, because the moment you see them you’re going to mention having borrowed the money and put the same amount back, apologized, and asked if they’re okay with it. Yes? (Or at least, within a couple sentences. After “Hello” and maybe “How was your day?” an: “Oh: by the way…”)

Keep in mind that not a single person here has suggested it would be okay for you to just quietly not mention having taken the money at all. Silence would not be okay.

So once you tell the person you took the money, they’ll be able to tell you themselves how they feel about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back