Is carving a Jack-0-lantern servile Labor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThePuppyTurtle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThePuppyTurtle

Guest
In my case, I can ether carve it today, the 30th or the 31st. On the 29th my father is having surgery, so that’s a no-go. My brother’s girlfriend is coming out today, and he’s doing his pumpkin.

Must I make a scene of myself and do it on the 30th or the 31st (Or not at all, which would waste the already bought pumpkin, which my mother bought.) rather than on Sunday?
 
What leads you to believe there is a problem with pumpkin carving?

Do you often believe every-day things and family activities are sins?
 
It depends. I suppose if you had a pumpkin-carving service or job, and had to carve dozens of pumpkins on Sunday, it might be servile service. However, under the present situation, i wouldn’t worry about it. It’s an act of charity to your family.
 
Carving a Jack-O-Lantern qualifies as a family activity. No worries… even if you’re the one doing most of it.
 
Your circumstances may vary, but if you were me in my family, I’d need to buck up and carve the pumpkin. You do that sort of stuff for the family (in my case Dad) in order to be celebrating and happy together. It does not matter if you are not pleased to be carving out slime from a pumpkin. It is charitable and family oriented to do it; an ideal Sunday thing. And you smile and have a good time doing it now, don’t forget. 😉

Of course, if you have a need that is more pressing, like to visit a sick relative in the hospital, then you go do that. Also, pumpkin carving could be some other sort of activity in your family than mine. I am assuming it functions culturally the same in your family as mine.
 
No, it’s an artsy-crafty type of thing, family recreation. And by the way, once you get into the cavity of a pumpkin, using an ice cream scoop works a lot better than using a knife to scoop out the pulp and seeds.
 
No, it’s an artsy-crafty type of thing, family recreation. And by the way, once you get into the cavity of a pumpkin, using an ice cream scoop works a lot better than using a knife to scoop out the pulp and seeds.
we cook the seeds
 
Er… not sure that carving a pumpkin for yourself or your family would in any way constitute servile labor…:nope:
 
Now I want to ask: is washing the dishes afterward servile labor?😉
 
I hope not, because my husband just carved ours, and it looks awesome!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top