Is Catholicism the one and only true religion?

• Thread starter Thread starter HenryPinson13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HenryPinson13

My name is Henry Pinson and I am starting to doubt and question if Catholicism is the true religion. I would like some guidance and wisdom about this topic please.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
816 "The sole Church of Christ [is that] which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter’s pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it. . . . This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in ( subsistit in ) the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."267
The Second Vatican Council’s Decree on Ecumenism explains: "For it is through Christ’s Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help toward salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained. It was to the apostolic college alone, of which Peter is the head, that we believe that our Lord entrusted all the blessings of the New Covenant, in order to establish on earth the one Body of Christ into which all those should be fully incorporated who belong in any way to the People of God."268
267 Lumen gentium 8 § 2.
268 Unitatis Redintegratio 3 § 5.

1. As possible, go spend time before Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.
  2. Read the catechism so that you know the reasoning behind the teachings.
  3. Blot out the media - in all forms - as it long ago launched a relentless assault on the Church. Atheists are now militant, their hatred easily observed in many cases. There are many more suggestions.
There is only one who attacks the Church. He finds many willing dupes among mankind.

why do you doubt its the one true religion?
The teachings of the Catholic religion never change. They are the same today and in 1991 as they were in 1929. But in 1929, there were 9 marriages declared null in the USA, but there were 63,933 annulments in the United States in 1991. If the teaching on marriage annulments has not changed, how do you explain the huge increase in them. Further, you have to get a divorce before the marriage tribunal will hear your case. If you look at the number of divorces in the general US population from 1929 to 1991 you do see an increase, but nothing like going from 9 to 63,933.
General US divorce statistics:
1929: 195,000.
1991: 1,187,000.
So the number of US divorces went up by a factor of 6.
US Catholic annulment statistics (requires a divorce)
1929: 9
1991: 63,933
The number of US Catholic annulments went up by a factor of 7000.

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying, but that’s the only issue you can think of?

the church’s teaching on marriage hasn’t changed, in practice however it has. But the overall teaching is different…I can hear the anti-Vatican II Catholics now haha but honestly I don’t agree with the increase but I think the church is going through a rough spot.

I would venture that it is not entirely the fault of the Church is the number of annulments has increased in recent years.
Many things have happened in “recent years”
The media has been very busy bombarding the people with subtle at first blatant now messages that push for the normalization of every kind of sin: abortion, infidelity, euthanasia, homosexuality, pedophilia, etc.
People now days get married without proper discernment, many times bring hidden personal issues. Is it any wonder that they in fact enter into an invalid marriage?
If you are not aware of issues your partner brings which would have changed your mind, who’s at fault? The Church?

Peace!

I am doubting this because I feel like members of every religion says that theirs is the true religion and that theirs is right.

Obviously there can be many possible reasons other than a change on dogma. There could simply be a ton of invalid marriages these days. Our Lady at Fatima did say many marriages would not be of God. You also only show statistics for the USA. What are they like in other countries?

It could be an abuse in some cases, not unlike the abuse of indulgences or the sacrament of order and simony in times past (whether it be on the part of the tribunals or the participants not being completely honest). Who knows, but the Church has always taught that matter, form, and intent are needed for a valid sacrament and that sacraments can be null and void in such cases.

Whether those elements are present or not in a particular case is question of fact, not of dogma.

Last edited:
Obviously there can be many possible reasons other than a change on dogma.
Do not the Catholic Church spokesmen themselves say that the criteria for whether a marriage is valid or not have been changed (since VII) and that this is the reason for the increase in marriage annulments?

Are you being drawn to Buddhism, Mormonism, Universalism or some other belief? Either way, this is a crisis of faith. Being Catholic, have you spoken with Father? I would think it can be done, even anonymously over the phone, if need be.

oh, no I am not being drawn to any other religion. I will stay strong in my faith as a Catholic. I just need some guidance and answers.

Last edited:
Yes. That is why I strongly urge you to spend time in silent contemplation of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. Just sit and contemplate Him. Read scripture or devotional books. But most important, tell him of your doubts and your crisis of faith. Then, be as patient with Him as He has been with you.

As the late, great Fr. Benedict Groeschel said:
“When you become aware that He is there, you will be changed.”

At home, watch EWTN, listen to Catholic radio, and pray. God will step into the gap.

Wow, this is great advice thanks. Are you associated with the church? I ask this because you sound like you are well educated with these topics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back