Is choosing not to use the internet irresponsible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter curiousgrace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might think for a minute about the tone you have chosen to correct the sin of misunderstanding you and the mistake of responding in the wrong way to your request for feedback.
 
Last edited:
I don’t think it’s irresponsible at all. I think that for many people the social media and the internet is just a waste. Use it like it’s 1995. Have a laptop you can use to get the information you want/need, and otherwise don’t worry about it.

Listen to EWTN or Catholic Answers for other things.

I might find a way to listen to podcasts (I love Dr. David Anders) but other than that, you have many opportunities for growth without texting, IG, FB, twitter, etc.

I’m happier without social mediah TBH. Alot of it is pretty toxic.

FB was neat at first to have communication with people from HS and whatnot that I hadn’t seen in awhile. But recently it just got that I think people were yelling out news in a vacuum; not having conversations.

After Covington and experiencing some anti-Catholic bigotry and people just pushing falsehoods about the situation, I was done.

The recent promulgation of twitter crap about the GA heartbeat bill “THEY’RE GOING TO JAIL WOMEN WHO MISCARRY!” repeatedly, even after legal scholars debunked it, just confirmed me. I’m glad to be off that crap.

I still enjoy the forums; but they are less intrusive into my life. I choose to look at a topic. It isn’t pushed to me. Kind of reminds me of usenet back in the day.

And, as stated, I love podcasts. 🙂
 
As someone that managed just fine before the WWW, you will adjust just fine and it’s a worthy goal IMHO. I love technology and the speed of accessing and info available but, I also have no problems turning it off and walking away for periods of time. Many people just can’t self monitor that way and then seem almost addicted to information overload. We’re all different.

Do it. If you find that being out of the loop or wishing for the speed of access, then you can make adjustments but I bet you’ll fine that you ARE happier and feel more productive…just a guess. I know folks that have done what you are planning and, after a bit of withdrawal, find many other rewards that may have been missed.
 
If you are cutting the internet out of your life, how are you reading and responding to these posts?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top