Is Christ Our Great High Deacon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimothyH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimothyH

Guest
Understanding that Christ is our great high priest, that there exists the office of the priesthood and that we all share in the common priesthood of Christ, I am wondering if anyone has considered this formula with regards to the diaconate?

Is not Christ our great high deacon, having set the example of service by washing the disciples feet at the last supper and through many other acts of service including his death on the cross? The office of deacon certianly exists. Don’t we all share in the common diaconate of Christ?

I’ve read with interest some books on the diaconate and while most seem to emphasize the service aspect of the diaconate and attempt to tie that service back to the sacramental nature of an ordained deacon, I have not heard the particular doctrine, that of Christ as our great high deacon and our sharing in the common diaconate of Christ stated anywhere explicitly.

Has anyone ever come across any writing on this specific subject, magesterial or otherwise? Has anyone pondered this? Does anyone care to ponder it?

-Tim-
 
Understanding that Christ is our great high priest, that there exists the office of the priesthood and that we all share in the common priesthood of Christ, I am wondering if anyone has considered this formula with regards to the diaconate?

Is not Christ our great high deacon, having set the example of service by washing the disciples feet at the last supper and through many other acts of service including his death on the cross? The office of deacon certianly exists. Don’t we all share in the common diaconate of Christ?

I’ve read with interest some books on the diaconate and while most seem to emphasize the service aspect of the diaconate and attempt to tie that service back to the sacramental nature of an ordained deacon, I have not heard the particular doctrine, that of Christ as our great high deacon and our sharing in the common diaconate of Christ stated anywhere explicitly.

Has anyone ever come across any writing on this specific subject, magesterial or otherwise? Has anyone pondered this? Does anyone care to ponder it?

-Tim-
Here is the problem with this line of thinking: Christ is our Great High Priest because there was an office of High Priest in the Old Covenant. We do not “share in his Universal Deaconate” because the office of deacon was instituted to assist the priests. Is this making any sense to you? The deaconate is a lesser expression of the Sacrament of Holy Orders (which has its fullness in the Bishop). This emphasis you are placing on the office of deacon is wholly unnecessary.
 
Here is the problem with this line of thinking: Christ is our Great High Priest because there was an office of High Priest in the Old Covenant. We do not “share in his Universal Deaconate” because the office of deacon was instituted to assist the priests. Is this making any sense to you? The deaconate is a lesser expression of the Sacrament of Holy Orders (which has its fullness in the Bishop). This emphasis you are placing on the office of deacon is wholly unnecessary.
No, I’m sure I don’t fully undestand.

I understood the deacon to be the “eyes and ears” of the Bishop in the early Church, having vowed obedience to the Bishop and not the priest. This may be a side issue and I really don’t mean to pick at details.

So you are saying that the office of priesthood forshadowed the fullness of that office in Christ? Since there was no office of Deacon, that fullness is not present in Christ?

Maybe you could point me to some reading?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top