Is Cursing a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter followingtheway
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

followingtheway

Guest
Hello there, I’m David, and I’m just wondering is cursing a sin? If so is Mortal Sin or Venial Sin? Can someone go to Hell or Purgatory for it? What does the Bible say about it?
 
It depends on what you mean by cursing. A mortal sin, as you know, has three elements: Sufficient gravity, full knowledge of the gravity, and full consent to do the sinful thought, word, or deed anyways.

Someone like me (who used to be a habitual cusser, using cuss words as adjectives and adverbs liberally) is probably so unconscious of the fact that it diminishes culpability to a degree. Nevertheless, I confessed it, was told it was a venial sin, and that I would have to keep praying for the grace to avoid it, as well as the grace to better manage the emotions that provoked it in the first place. I was told to meditate on my relationship with God and how God sees me through His eyes and take that into account when I felt my temper rising.

My experience with doing my penance for this (including frequent reception of the sacrament of reconciliation and the Eucharist) and becoming more aware of the propensity to cuss helped me reduce the degree and frequency very significantly. I’m aware of the rising frustration, can use a brief mental prayer to decompress a little, and can state my thoughts much better and more appropriately. I don’t think I’ve used the “f” bomb as a conversational modifier for a couple of months now, for example, and don’t even use it when provoked.

My whole attitude for confession is this, and I was told it’s a useful attitude by my regular confessor: If something I’m doing is bothering me, it’s probably a valid topic to bring up during the course of a session in the confessional, even if it isn’t necessarily a mortal sin. Of course, when I’m struggling with something, I don’t just line up for the “box” during regular confession times, I make an appointment and go in to discuss it.

Hope this is of some help to you.
 
A REAL curse probably uses G-d’s Name, and violates the second commandment (third, if you are Protestant). Regarding it being a mortal sin, you might find this CCC link handy:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1855

Start with Paragraph #1857.
 
I 've been thought cursing that is not using the Lord’s name is a venial sin and using the Lord’s name and saints holy things outside of prayer/ adoration) is blasphemous; grave matter (and can be then mortal if all three categories are consented to). We sometimes don’t think about it, but to bless and curse using His name with the same tongue is disordered and very sad. Don’t swear and oath by His name either.

Without trying to be too confusing, the culpability can be diminished somewhat depending on the circumstances (force of habit). I would confess it anyway to get strength to combat the vice in the future.

To answer your question, venial sins piled up weaken us and can lead to mortal sins. Any venial sin can end us in purgatory.

I think about cursing, for those who don’t think it’s a big deal, as this, would you say such things in front of a child? Would you not find it shameful for a child to use foul language. Well consider who they likely got it from!

Also, Is this language you would use to talk to the Lord with?

“You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Of course with the Lord’s help (prayer) is the only way to that.

I hate to post this because I’m so scrupulous myself. There are a lot of words that are obviously swears then there are subtler terminology that I still wonder if I should be using.
 
Saint Paul on the use of speech : [BIBLEDRB]Ephesians 5:1-5[/BIBLEDRB]

and our Lord :

"Again you have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow.’

But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God’s throne;

nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.

Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black.

Let your ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ mean ‘No.’ Anything more is from the evil one.

Matthew 5:22
(KJV) But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Raca means blockhead or idiot if I remember correctly.
 
I’ve always believed that some phrases and words are off limits. For example: God, Jesus Christ, Mary, damn, hell, son of a b*tch (someone’s mother!) :tsktsk:

Most curse words are only considered such by society. To me, they are just words. Our culture could begin to consider “rumple” to be a curse word. It’s just a word.

BUT - We are to be witnesses to the faith. We are to set good examples. We need to consider our attitudes that generate the cursing. And, we need to consider how our words affect others. That’s where some of the potential sin associated with cursing may lie.
 
I would think that intentionally using language that offends other people is a mortal sin, while a poopy-word slipping out when one is startled or shocked would not be a mortal sin, since intention is not involved. Having said that, Jesus taught that what is in the heart will come out of the mouth (Matt. 12:34), so if I find myself blurting out a poopy-word when I’m shocked, I need to look at what I’m putting into my heart.
 
Col 3:8
But now put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and *foul talk *with your mouth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top