Is doing laundry servile work?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CurtisHouse
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 9 year old little girl next door loves to dust with a Swiffer and works for cookies. Would it really be wrong to have her cloned?
 
The 9 year old little girl next door loves to dust with a Swiffer and works for cookies. Would it really be wrong to have her cloned?
Prolly not, if you paid her $15/hr worth of cookies
 
I LOVE to iron. I also love to fold clothes.
Don’t tell anybody, but I personally found that I really like to cook. It relaxes me, there is a creative element to it, and I can think about other things. I even…sometimes cook on Sundays…
 
I always cook on Sundays.

It relaxes me and gives me something delicious to eat at night.
 
Father, apparently Catholicism has different regulations than Judaism. So I am interested in finding out what the Sabbath rules are for Catholics, because in Judaism, the Sabbath is not only, or even primarily, a day of worship, but even more a day of rest from the routine behavior of the work week for the purpose of replenishing the soul, which does not only mean refraining from servile behavior but nearly all commonplace behavior. Is there no stipulation for a day of rest in Catholicism accompanied by a day of worship in attending Mass?

Further, as long as I have your ear, it is my understanding that the Sabbath day remains according to Catholic theology, and that Sunday is not, strictly speaking, the Sabbath day but rather the L-rd’s Day. Could you explain the distinction if there is any?
 
Last edited:
No.

It would be sinful to say you had too much laundry to do, you couldn’t get to mass.
 
@acanonlawyer might be able to provide some further insights.
I think it is interesting to note that the prior law on this topic (observance of Sunday/day of precept) did not include the word “obligation” (or variants thereof). It simply said that the faithful are to hear Mass; they are also to abstain from… An obligation is obviously implied but the point is that it didn’t say there was an “obligation”. The new law says the faithful are obliged to participate in Mass; besides that/furthermore (insuper), they are to abstain from certain activities.

Historically, it was understood that the faithful could be dispensed from the obligation (I’ll say that it is such) to abstain from work. Such dispensations are recorded. I’d also point out that the law gives pastors of parishes the ability to dispense the faithful from the Sunday obligation, totally, not specifically just the obligation to participate in Mass (c. 1245).

Dan
 
Nikolaite,CAF had an different format before this one, Discourse.
We had a couple of priests then and a religious brother plus a couple of deacons.

When they posted and answered the question asked, and particularly a simple one, the mods would then close the thread using an emoji which was this smiling little guy with a banner that read “ Question answered”.
Today when a priest answers a question pertinent to his area of expertise, note they study for years and years and some have gone further still in their studies, their answers are dismissed sometimes over and over,and the thread goes on and on ignoring if not disputing directly the answers of a Catholic priest.
This sort of attitude has worn out most of the priests posting,and finally leaving the forums depriving us readers from formed consistent and knowledgeable answers as if they were equivalent to just anybody’s anonymous in the internet.
Also older posters at CAF run with a little advantage: we kind of know by now who the priests are,the deacons,who the cannon lawyers are, what some posters area of expertise is, and that helps us as well . Many of us come here to keep learning. And of course we have our parish priests to turn to to ask as well.
I posted “ Question answered” :)as a memory of those times in the old CAF and as a reminder with some humor for I am not a mod, and since the answer of a priest himself didn’t satisfy you , I made the remark of the dentist . In other words, humorously,if you have a toothache, ask your priest 🙂
 
Last edited:
Further, as long as I have your ear, it is my understanding that the Sabbath day remains according to Catholic theology, and that Sunday is not, strictly speaking, the Sabbath day but rather the L-rd’s Day. Could you explain the distinction if there is any?
The Sabbath is indeed Saturday. Sunday is the day of the Resurrection, which is why our focus (and our sabbatical rest) is moved to Sunday.
 
In that case, what significance does the (initial) Sabbath have to Christians (apart from SDA’s)? In other words, why is it still called the Sabbath? Also, who moved the sabbatical rest to the Day of Resurrection: the Church, I suppose?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the links; it is quite a history. Yet the connection made between abrogating the Sabbath Day and the laws of circumcision (as well as the dietary laws) is questionable to my mind, because the day of the Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments, whereas circumcision and kashrut, important as they are in Judaism, are not included in the Ten Commandments. Nonetheless, an interesting account.
 
Last edited:
Catholic Encyclopedia also had a write up on Sabbath with sections - Prescriptions concerning the sabbath; Meaning of the sabbath; Origin of the sabbath; Observance of the sabbath and The sabbath in the New Testament.

Sabbath or Sunday?

Dies Domini by St. John Paul II May 1998 (search using the word Sabbath - mentioned 61 times in this document), but it covers From the Sabbath to Sunday in part 1 #18 - but I recommend reading the whole document.
 
In that case, what significance does the (initial) Sabbath have to Christians (apart from SDA’s)?
It’s purpose is observed on the day of Resurrection. It is also different liturgically than the other non-Resurection days.

\
In other words, why is it still called the Sabbath?
Math 🙂
Also, who moved the sabbatical rest to the Day of Resurrection: the Church, I suppose?
Also, who moved the sabbatical rest to the Day of Resurrection: the Church, I suppose?
Christ, when He Arose.
 
On Saturday and Sunday our electric provider has lower rates because any electric machine use would cost much less on the weekend. Anyway, laundry with automatic washers is not a big deal. I usually don’t wash on Sunday, but washing out some light weight, delicate clothes is kind of fun. I love making sure my things are ready for the week. I also admire my favorites, hanging them when they are damp. I have not used an iron in ages, though. I have one, but it sits in my cabi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top