Is doubt a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

myfavoritmartin

Guest
Just curious is someone whom is filled with doubt considered a sinner?
 
No, having doubts is not a sin. Acting on those doubts by denying the faith, is, however.
 
Hi 'Myfavorit__,

We cannot be expected to fully understand all the teachings of the Church. Not understanding is not the same as doubt. Doubt is contemplating the possiblity that the teaching might not be true. All God asks of us is that we believe everything that He has revealed. This attitude is expressed in the Act of Faith:
O my God, I firmly believe that thou art one God in three Divine Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; I believe that thy Son became man, and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I** believe these and all the truths the Holy Catholic Church teaches because Thou hast revealed them, who canst neither deceived nor be deceived.**
Verbum
 
What is the opposite of faith? Most say it is having no faith. But that is a kind of faith itself. The opposite of faith is certainty. Once as humans we claim to have certainty, we have become Joseph Smith’s (our own God). Faith and doubt are bound together. We need some doubt so we can trust in another. For Christians, we are called to put our trust in Christ. Without doubt, we have no reason to trust Him.

When we have doubts, it is a call to implore that Christ come meet us in our doubt. He can’t not respond. His perfect Love for us “compels” Him to rush upon us if we just ask. Like suffering, doubt is something God uses to cause us to seek the I AM.
 
I think doubt is different from disbelief. The latter is definitely a sin, unless it is out of ignorance.

Faith might be described as doing what you’re asked to do, living how you’re asked to live, despite your doubts.
 
Ok, here is official sourced from the cathchism of the catholic church:

2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:
Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.
 
Ok, here is official sourced from the cathchism of the catholic church:

2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:
Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.
Gee, does this mean that Myfavoritmartin is trying to lead Catholics into sin by posting stuff like this? :yup:
 
Gee, does this mean that Myfavoritmartin is trying to lead Catholics into sin by posting stuff like this? :yup:
I think you missed the point. MyFavoriteMartian’s doubt is “involuntary”. Attempting to come to a stronger faith by expressing one’s involuntary doubt and seeking communion with others is anything but leading one to sin.
 
Gee, does this mean that Myfavoritmartin is trying to lead Catholics into sin by posting stuff like this? :yup:
No, no, no!

I think what the CCC is trying to tell us that we need to work through our doubts. Whenever we have doubts, we need to reflect, learn, and pray. Doubts in and of themselves are not sinful! They can lead us to a deeper faith in the end.
 
Just curious is someone whom is filled with doubt considered a sinner?
I doubt it! 😛

Seriously though: “filled with” - what does that mean?

“filled with doubt” regarding what? The existence of God, matters of faith, or something else?
 
I doubt it! 😛

Seriously though: “filled with” - what does that mean?

“filled with doubt” regarding what? The existence of God, matters of faith, or something else?
The divinity of Jesus.
 
I do not believe some doubt is a sin, in itself… it is where it may lead that can become sinful in my opinion. If doubt is nurtured then it will likely become sinful. If doubt is fought, then no. So, for example, if I began to doubt Jesus is divine, but I started to search scriptures for meaning, tried praying or maybe reading spiritual books, that would be fighting the doubts, thus fighting for my faith. However, if I stopped praying or started researching faiths that don’t believe in the divinity of Christ that would be giving into the doubts and at some point I think I would start offending God by my actions.

This is all just an opinion of course, but that is my take on it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top