Is doubting the validity of a confession a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YellowPancakes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YellowPancakes

Guest
I had been doubting the validity of my confession, as I felt I was not sorry for my sins. I have realised now that I would not have gone to confession if I did not feel a slight bit of remorse and regret for my sins.

I may have doubted the validity of the confession, not because God won’t forgive me. I know that God loves me and will forgive me if I come to him with a sorry heart.

So is this by any chance a sin? Doubting whether my confession was valid? I’m fearing it may be, and I will have to miss out on receiving Jesus in the Eucharist tomorrow at Sunday Mass.

Thank you in advance for your replies and help. God Bless. 🙂
 
I think you are worrying too much… You can be sorry for your sins now still.
 
I agree with previous poster, you went to confession and it sounds like your sorry, so believe your sins are forgiven.

On a side note we sould not confess sins we are not sorry for, I mean some people don’t think getting a vasectomy is a sin so someone I know said he didn’t confess it as he said its not a sin and hes not sorry so it would of been a sin to confess a sin he is not sorry for.
 
I agree with previous poster, you went to confession and it sounds like your sorry, so believe your sins are forgiven.

On a side note we sould not confess sins we are not sorry for, I mean some people don’t think getting a vasectomy is a sin so someone I know said he didn’t confess it as he said its not a sin and hes not sorry so it would of been a sin to confess a sin he is not sorry for.
I believe your confession is not valid if you knowingly omit something that the Church considers a serious sin because you are not repentant.
 
I believe your confession is not valid if you knowingly omit something that the Church considers a serious sin because you are not repentant.
Indeed. That confession is a sacrilege and all confessions thereafter are invalid.

You can pray and ask God for repentance.
Ps 50:19 : A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
 
I had been doubting the validity of my confession, as I felt I was not sorry for my sins. I have realised now that I would not have gone to confession if I did not feel a slight bit of remorse and regret for my sins.

I may have doubted the validity of the confession, not because God won’t forgive me. I know that God loves me and will forgive me if I come to him with a sorry heart.

So is this by any chance a sin? Doubting whether my confession was valid? I’m fearing it may be, and I will have to miss out on receiving Jesus in the Eucharist tomorrow at Sunday Mass.

Thank you in advance for your replies and help. God Bless. 🙂
Repentance is necessary to obtain absolution. Repentance is the understanding that the action was sinful and it offended God. Repentance is also the honest intention of not repeating the sin again. Feeling sorry is not necessary for absolution but it should come once a person realizes that he offended God. Feeling sorry probably happens at the moment that we realize that we should go to confession but sometimes it still does not happen later at the moment of confession.
 
I believe your confession is not valid if you knowingly omit something that the Church considers a serious sin because you are not repentant.
Well it wasnt me who got a vasectomy, a nephew of mine, like he said no sense in confessing a sin your not sorry for, I surely didn’t get into it with him, whats did is done, plus its none of my business.

I’d like to add, he continues to go to confession, and church, and I’m sure if he confesses other sins they are forgiven. hes got a good priest so maybe he talked to him about it,

he told his priests that hes missed a few masses as driving out of town to do hockey games with his 3 kids, and the priests said its most important to be a good father, but should try and make it to Mass.
 
Well it wasnt me who got a vasectomy, a nephew of mine, like he said no sense in confessing a sin your not sorry for, I surely didn’t get into it with him, whats did is done, plus its none of my business.

I’d like to add, he continues to go to confession, and church,** and I’m sure if he confesses other sins they are forgiven.** hes got a good priest so maybe he talked to him about it,

he told his priests that hes missed a few masses as driving out of town to do hockey games with his 3 kids, and the priests said its most important to be a good father, but should try and make it to Mass.
They are sacrilegious confessions ; not only are the sins confessed not forgiven, but the sin of sacrilege is added.
 
I’m sorry I disagree with the RC teaching on this then, now he may confess it later in life but he said he’d deal with it when he meets his maker. Actually I thinking confessing a sin your not sorry for is wrong . Also vasectomy and contraceptions are not listed in the Scriptures as sins.
I mean if someone is on birth control there is no reason for them to go to confession either if they are not going to stop taking them, maybe thats why theres never anyone at confession anymore it seems, but everyone receives communion it seems. I’m sure this was a big decision for him as they were on NFP for a few years before this decision. So I imagine he told God himself I’m going to get one, and I’m not sorry so you can deal with me when I see you, knowing him thats probably what he did.

If a woman goes in and confesses she was on birth control for several years do you really think she is sorry she was on them,

or is she sorry for offending the rules of the church?

This has always bugged me about confession, man gets vasectomy, its a decision , thought out, planned, he is obviously never sorry he got one, unless later he wants a kid, very seldom, but they go and confess it anyway. False confessions everyday then I assume. Very few people should even be receiving communion when one thinks about it.
 
I’m sorry I disagree with the RC teaching on this then, now he may confess it later in life but he said he’d deal with it when he meets his maker. Actually I thinking confessing a sin your not sorry for is wrong . Also vasectomy and contraceptions are not listed in the Scriptures as sins.
I mean if someone is on birth control there is no reason for them to go to confession either if they are not going to stop taking them, maybe thats why theres never anyone at confession anymore it seems, but everyone receives communion it seems. I’m sure this was a big decision for him as they were on NFP for a few years before this decision. So I imagine he told God himself I’m going to get one, and I’m not sorry so you can deal with me when I see you, knowing him thats probably what he did.
To obstanantly hold a position contrary to the Church is actually heresy. I agree with you that there are many people in the position that you describe, but there is no safety in numbers.
If a woman goes in and confesses she was on birth control for several years do you really think she is sorry she was on them, or is she sorry for offending the rules of the church?
Being sorry for the act is all that is required.
This has always bugged me about confession, man gets vasectomy, its a decision , thought out, planned, he is obviously never sorry he got one, unless later he wants a kid, very seldom, but they go and confess it anyway. False confessions everyday then I assume. Very few people should even be receiving communion when one thinks about it.
You are absolutely right. Very few people, it seems, should be presenting themselves for Holy Communion.

You should not go to confession if you are not sorry that you did something. If you are unrepentant for a grave sin, you should also not present yourself to Holy Communion.
 
Just what I’m saying, if one is not sorry for what they did then, they should never be able to go to confession or receive communion, right??

So MOST operative word here,) women who have been on the pill are not sorry, nor men who had a vasectomy, nor women with tubal ligation.

Most women who have an abortion are sorry afterwards or later in life, but not all.

So if people were honest, the majority would not receive communion.
 
Just what I’m saying, if one is not sorry for what they did then, they should never be able to go to confession or receive communion, right??

So MOST operative word here,) women who have been on the pill are not sorry, nor men who had a vasectomy, nor women with tubal ligation.

Most women who have an abortion are sorry afterwards or later in life, but not all.

So if people were honest, the majority would not receive communion.
Exactly!👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top