Is erasing God's name after typing it a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zenkai
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zenkai

Guest
Is it a sin to type “God” or “Jesus” in a sentence and then hit the backspace button to erase the names or the sentence?

I know, this is probably an odd question.
 
I would not assume so. No ill intention or disrespect would be there, just altering a sentence.
 
Is it a sin to type “God” or “Jesus” in a sentence and then hit the backspace button to erase the names or the sentence?

I know, this is probably an odd question.
No. If. that were the case, Catholic writers or seminary students would never be able to write about God without sinning.
 
Is it a sin to type “God” or “Jesus” in a sentence and then hit the backspace button to erase the names or the sentence?

I know, this is probably an odd question.
Yes, it is an odd question.

Why on earth do you think this is a sin? What commandment could you possibly be breaking?
 
Is it a sin to type “God” or “Jesus” in a sentence and then hit the backspace button to erase the names or the sentence?

I know, this is probably an odd question.
I don’t think that erasing the word “God” is a sin in Catholic theology [unless done out of malice in which case the malice is the sin]; I think it is a sin in Judaism.

I once saw this asked in on a Jewish site. The rabbi said that there was no sin. Words on a computer screen are renewed at the scan rate. If one backspaces the word is not removed; it is just not refreshed. [This is just my memory and probably not exact, but hope you can get the concept.]
 
I don’t think that erasing the word “God” is a sin in Catholic theology [unless done out of malice in which case the malice is the sin]; I think it is a sin in Judaism.

I once saw this asked in on a Jewish site. The rabbi said that there was no sin. Words on a computer screen are renewed at the scan rate. If one backspaces the word is not removed; it is just not refreshed. [This is just my memory and probably not exact, but hope you can get the concept.]
I agree with you and disagree with the rabbi. In Judaism, it is a sin to intentionally or even unintentionally erase the full name of G-d. That is one of the reasons why Jews should not write the full name.
 
No. If. that were the case, Catholic writers or seminary students would never be able to write about God without sinning.
exactly you would be writing a paper for a Christology course and it would go something like this.

In Jesus Christ there are two natures in one person. So there is the nature of God (you notice you don’t want to say it this way you erase and say this) So there is his Divine Nature and Human Nature. Then you say to yourself oh no I just sinned.

but yeah there is nothing sinful about erasing God’s name.
 
Is it a sin to type “God” or “Jesus” in a sentence and then hit the backspace button to erase the names or the sentence?

I know, this is probably an odd question.
Hmmmm. What if you are dyslexic and type god but erased it because you really meant to type dog. Grave mortal sin or just Venial?
 
I agree with you and disagree with the rabbi. In Judaism, it is a sin to intentionally or even unintentionally erase the full name of G-d. That is one of the reasons why Jews should not write the full name.
Thanks for the correction. Hope I wasn’t misquoting the rabbi. but it is possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top