Is Fri. Jan 1 a HDO?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ignatius
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ignatius

Guest
I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
 
I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
told by whom? the official publication or website of your parish or diocese? It is a HDO in this diocese this year, but in the past mass attendance has not been required if it fell on a Saturday or Monday.
 
=Ignatius;6112557]I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
The NCCB

National Conference of Catholic Bishops have determined the following; BINDING ON ALL CATHOLICS…

Which are the Catholic Holy Days of Obligation in the United States?
  1. Christmas Day, December 25.
    2**. Circumcision, January 1.**
  2. Ascension Thursday, 40 Days after Easter.
  3. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, August 15.
  4. The Immaculate Conception, December 8.
  5. All Saints Day, November 1.
Love and prayers,

Pat
 
Well, if you’re in the diocese of Sacramento, CA or those of Northern California, I found this:

Bishop Soto has determined that, in accord with the other dioceses of the province of northern
California, the obligation to attend Mass on January 1, 2010, the Solemnity of Mary, the
Mother of God, is dispensed for the Diocese of Sacramento.

Looks like bishops can dispense holy days. I found this on the diocesean web site.
 
I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
It would be easier to answer your question if you said which diocese because it greatly depends on where you live. If you’re in Canada, it is. If you live in Hawaii, it isn’t. If you live in California, it may not be.
 
I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
Yes, it is a Holy Day of Obligation. Regardless of what diocese you live in, it is a HDO.

The question, though, is whether or not the bishop of your diocese has dispensed from the obligation. If you’ve heard from a reliable source (like a priest, or a notice in the parish bulletin) that there is no obligation to attend Mass that day, it’s probably true.
 
Yes, Tantum, January 1 is not a holy day of"obligation" in Sacramento. I went to mass this morning in Sacramento and the priest at Presentation said there will be mass tomorrow night at 5 and January 1 at 10. It will be your “priviledge” not your “obligation” to come and be with the one you love at the Holy Sacrifice of the mass.
 
Yes, it is a Holy Day of Obligation in the United States. It is not a Holy Day of Obligation in Califonia. If you live on the west coast, you might need to check with your diocese. You probably also need to check and see if up is down, right is left and good is evil. Such things are up for grabs.
 
People need to understand that it is a Holy Day of Obligation in all the dioceses of the United States.

It is a Holy Day of Obligation in every diocese of California.

The bishop of a diocese can dispense from the obligation, but he cannot change the fact that the day itself is still a Holy Day of Obligation.

I sympathize with pnewton’s post–things that we see happening can often cause a lot of confusion (and I’ll leave it at that).

But the reason I keep making the point is that it is important for Catholics to understand that these days are still Holy Days of Obligation. The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, is just as important in other dioceses as it is in the dioceses of California (or anywhere else where a dispensation has been granted). Unfortunately, we as Catholics have become so accustomed to certain dispensations and other extra-ordinary relaxations of not only the Church’s laws, but in some cases matter of faith, that many have lost sight of their true value. The confusion we now have with regard to the HDOs is but one expression of how we have lost the value of so much of our faith in recent years.
 
t is important for Catholics to understand that these days are still Holy Days of Obligation. The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, is just as important in other dioceses as it is in the dioceses of California (or anywhere else where a dispensation has been granted). Unfortunately, we as Catholics have become so accustomed to certain dispensations and other extra-ordinary relaxations of not only the Church’s laws, but in some cases matter of faith, that many have lost sight of their true value.

Well put. 👍
 
FYI - Not to seem too hypocritical, but the funny thing is that I will not be able to make Mass. I am working both nights. The only time Mass is being offered in this area, I will either be working or sleeping. 😃

Yes, there are several valid reasons one is dispensed from these obligations. If in doubt, ask your priest. He can always make the decision to dispense with the obligation and remove all doubt.
 
FYI - Not to seem too hypocritical, but the funny thing is that I will not be able to make Mass. I am working both nights. The only time Mass is being offered in this area, I will either be working or sleeping. 😃

Yes, there are several valid reasons one is dispensed from these obligations. If in doubt, ask your priest. He can always make the decision to dispense with the obligation and remove all doubt.
OOh that’s good! “Father, can I be dispensed from Mass on Friday? I’ll be sleeping.”
Response: “Sure, I’ll dispense the whole parish, then I can sleep-in myself on Friday morning!”

Why did I not think of that one myself before last week’s bulletin went to print?

Yes, of course I know what you mean. I just couldn’t resist that one.
 
In case we forget, there is a shortage of priests in this country and the appointment of foreign priests is not keeping up. In many cases a priest has more than one parish and miles and miles in between. Some places are fortunate to see a priest once a week on Sunday. I have a pastor friend that says Mass in remote places and has to do a mass during the week for one parish and there is no mass there on Sun.I think the folks in these places have a difficult situation and should not feel guilty about dispensation. Those who live near many churches with many priests have no excuse!
 
Yes, Tantum, January 1 is not a holy day of"obligation" in Sacramento. I went to mass this morning in Sacramento and the priest at Presentation said there will be mass tomorrow night at 5 and January 1 at 10. It will be your “priviledge” not your “obligation” to come and be with the one you love at the Holy Sacrifice of the mass.
A priviledge not an obligation should always be why you go to Church
 
Looks like bishops can dispense holy days. I found this on the diocesean web site.
no bishops cannot dispense holy days, what they can do and have done in California and elsewhere is dispense the obligation for the faithful to attend Mass on those days.
 
no bishops cannot dispense holy days, what they can do and have done in California and elsewhere is dispense the obligation for the faithful to attend Mass on those days.
Right. I should have said, “dispense the obligation for the holy day”. Thanks, Annie!
 
I was told that Fri. January 1, the feast of Mary mother of God, is not a holy day of obligation in our diocese. Can this be correct? Is Jan 1 not a HDO?
You could make a tradition to start your New Year’s Eve with the Vigil Mass and dinner.
 
People need to understand that it is a Holy Day of Obligation in all the dioceses of the United States.
Except Honolulu.
Unless the USCCB is being imprecise in its wording – A possibility that I am all too willing (unfortunately) to allow.

tee
 
I went to the Vigil Mass tonight… does that count as fulfilling my obligation to attend on January 1st, the same as a Saturday vigil mass fulfills the Sunday obligation?

Sorry, slightly off topic… didn’t want to start a whole new thread though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top