Is gambling sinful?

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I have never has a trade fail to execute on a listed stock during open hours.

In order to win a £1 someone has to loose a pound.
I assume you mean for gambling, not for the stock market references immediately above?

The stock market is very much not a zero sum game.
In order to win millions on the lottery, then millions of people have to loose.
Nah, people with high morals can lose, too 😝 🤣 :roll_eyes:

My 401K/lRA has outperformed the Dow by just over 300% over the last 20 years.

Can you quantify that by example ?

For example, if your account/fund was worth $ 100,000 in the year 2000 , it is worth $ 300,000 now in 2020 ?

Rasoleil. You have made a math error.
No 401K/IRA has gained 300% more than the DOW in 20 years.

I was comparing percentage as compared to the DJIA
I really don’t know much about about economics. I’d rather be lucky than good. I had 0 at the beginning of AD. 2000 when I began working at a big box store and $125,000 as of today, A.D. 2020. In 2008, I had $20,000 when the market dropped in 2008. The last time I put any money into my account was in 2011, when I left that particular retail store, when it was $36,000. I actually contributed very little money in, even with the company match, which was little, as my contributions were little. Even by 2011, most of the increase was by gains. So, from 2011 until 2020 it increased from $36,000 to $160,000. So, from then on, it kept going up, with many drops, of course, buy it always bounced back. I was up to $160,000 before the beginning of the drop a few weeks ago. Did I do OK, you economic experts? Yeah, I confess, my calculations were overestimated. I’m not very good at math.

Last edited:
Ok. If it was $ 125,000 in 2000 and about 160,000 now (without including additional deposits)…your IRA may have yielded an average return of about 1.5% every year for 20 years. I hope you didnt lose too much in the past couple weeks.
I dont feel confident with any fund or person(s) managing my money long term. They never ever ever suggest that you cash out and play it safe for a little while.
Good luck !

Zero at the beginning of 2000. What would be the percentage increase since then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back