Is God an egg?

  • Thread starter Thread starter civilwar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

civilwar

Guest
Hi, this is my second post in a row about my godless friends, so please forgive me.
Anyway, i had a conversation recently with a friend about God. She seems to believe in SOMETHING, but I’m not quite sure what exactly…I think it’s a kind of ‘God is beyond our comprehension’ kind of thing.
She sent me this- m.imgur.com/gallery/bXqDoRH
It’s a short story about what God might be like. I don’t really know how to respond, or how to show her that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. She seems to think I’m narrow minded, and that all religions are true.

What can i say, outside of praying for her?
 
She’s really, really far off base right now if she’s part of the “all religions are true” demographic. You could just point out how the doctrines of different religions are incompatible with each other, but I have a feeling that will bounce off. If she hasn’t discerned that on her own, she probably won’t discern if from you, because people’s reasons for believing that are more about empathy and coping with the world. It isn’t a worldview that can simply be peeled off with a quick fact session. That’s not how people work.

I’m not normally a fan of making use of Francis of Assisi’s quote “Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words”, not because it isn’t a great quote, but because in the contemporary world it’s frequently abused as an excuse to simply not evangelize at all. However, I think in this case, you might need to back-off and just be a living example of light for her. You can discuss these things with her somewhat but if it feels like you’re firing rubber bullets into a steel wall, let it go.
 
She’s really, really far off base right now if she’s part of the “all religions are true” demographic. You could just point out how the doctrines of different religions are incompatible, but I have a feeling that will bounce off. If she hasn’t discerned that on her own, she probably won’t discern if from you, because people’s reasons for believing that are more about empathy and coping with the world. It isn’t a worldview that can simply be peeled off with a quick fact session. That’s now how people work.

I’m not normally a fan of making use of Francis of Assisi’s quote “Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words”, not because it isn’t a great quote, but because in the contemporary world it’s frequently abused as an excuse to simply not evangelize at all. However, I think in this case, you might need to back-off and just be a living example of light for her. You can discuss these things with her somewhat but if it feels like you’re firing rubber bullets into a steel wall, let it go.
Quite a wise answer, thanks! I agree with what you’re saying, I don’t think me arguing/debating with her is going to change her mind. I’ll probably just spend a lot of time praying for her, and if conversations come up I’ll talk with her, but won’t expect to change her mind with my arguments.
 
Hi, this is my second post in a row about my godless friends, so please forgive me.
Anyway, i had a conversation recently with a friend about God. She seems to believe in SOMETHING, but I’m not quite sure what exactly…I think it’s a kind of ‘God is beyond our comprehension’ kind of thing.
She sent me this- m.imgur.com/gallery/bXqDoRH
It’s a short story about what God might be like. I don’t really know how to respond, or how to show her that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. She seems to think I’m narrow minded, and that all religions are true.

What can i say, outside of praying for her?
Quite a wise answer, thanks! I agree with what you’re saying, I don’t think me arguing/debating with her is going to change her mind. I’ll probably just spend a lot of time praying for her, and if conversations come up I’ll talk with her, but won’t expect to change her mind with my arguments.
I’m confused 🤷
 
Hi, this is my second post in a row about my godless friends, so please forgive me.
Anyway, i had a conversation recently with a friend about God. She seems to believe in SOMETHING, but I’m not quite sure what exactly…I think it’s a kind of ‘God is beyond our comprehension’ kind of thing.
She sent me this- m.imgur.com/gallery/bXqDoRH
It’s a short story about what God might be like. I don’t really know how to respond, or how to show her that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. She seems to think I’m narrow minded, and that all religions are true.

What can i say, outside of praying for her?
Quite a wise answer, thanks! I agree with what you’re saying, I don’t think me arguing/debating with her is going to change her mind. I’ll probably just spend a lot of time praying for her, and if conversations come up I’ll talk with her, but won’t expect to change her mind with my arguments.
I’m confused 🤷
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Suspect.+I+think+there+is+a+spy+among+us_01c30f_4727604.jpg
 
I have a good reason, honestly… guess ill delete my other account just to be safe.
 
Hello. The books How Not to Share Your Faith by Mark Brumley and Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid may have some good insights on how to address your quandary.

God bless you for your kindness in caring about your friend.
Hi, this is my second post in a row about my godless friends, so please forgive me.

…

What can i say, outside of praying for her?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top