Is God "free from wrath" this person says He is not, HELP!

• Thread starter Thread starter justinthemartyr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justinthemartyr

These writings of Clement are being refuted by a bible only prson believeing that not only the church fathers are evil, but that the reformers themselves are evil. I have told him that if he holds to scripture alone, then he is holding to the false doctrine of the reformers themselves and have gone on that note of authority in our discussion. Here is what he purports concerning the writings of Clement. If you can help me refute this, I would appreciate it. thank you, Justin

I. Clement

The first writing in this first volume of The Ante Nicene Fathers is entitled, “First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians.” In the introductory note, it claims that Clement lived about 30-100 AD and he is believed to be the Clement found in Philippians 4:3. The problem with this is, the Clement who purportedly wrote this epistle did not know God. In this epistle, this Clement writes,

. . . let us look stedfastly to the Father and Creator of the universe, and cleave to His mighty and surpassing great gifts and benefactions of peace. Let us contemplate Him with our understanding, and look with the eyes of our soul to His long-suffering will. Let us reflect how free from wrath He is towards all His creation. (The Ante Nicene Fathers, vol. I, p. 10, chap. XIX)

God is not “free from wrath” towards all His creation. “God is angry every day.” (Psalm 7:11). “The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men” (Romans 1:18).

For we have been consumed by Your anger, and by Your wrath we are terrified. You have set our iniquities before You, our secret sins in the light of Your countenance. For all our days have passed away in Your wrath; we finish our years like a sigh. The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. Who knows the power of Your anger? For as the fear of You, so is Your wrath. (Psalm 90:7-11)

To know God, is to know and understand His wrath. “For as the fear of You, so is Your wrath” (Psalm 90:11). God is not free from wrath towards all His creation. He is very much occupied with wrath and anger on a daily basis (Psalm 7:11; John 3:36; Romans 13:4).

Clement continues in this lie as he speaks of the natural world:

The very smallest of living beings meet together in peace and concord. All these the great Creator and Lord of all has appointed to exist in peace and harmony; (ibid., p. 11, chap. XX)

Not only did Clement not know God, but he was also blind to the reality around him. Indeed, there are many moments of peace and harmony in the natural world, but there is also much turmoil and disharmony. Death reigns over plants and animals (Ecclesiastes 3:19). They even fight, kill, and eat each other, which is all a result of the wrath and curse of God. Paul wrote,

For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. (Romans 8:20-22)

The earth has been cursed (Genesis 3:17; 5:29). It is not free from wrath, and the Lord has not appointed the very smallest of living beings to exist in peace and harmony. The Lord does not appoint such peace and harmony until He returns (Isaiah 11:1-9; 65:25).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back