Is God not present when one is praying?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jnderose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jnderose

Guest
I have heard this saying as long as I can remember, but do not understand its meaning:
Where two or three or thousands are gathered in God’s name, he is there
I am a new “almost Catholic” and was wondering what the true interpretation of this was. This cannot mean that he is not always present when we alone are praying does it?:o
 
Well, we never really “pray alone.” When we pray, we also are praying with our Guardian Angel, and the communion of Saints in heaven.
 
Well, we never really “pray alone.” When we pray, we also are praying with our Guardian Angel, and the communion of Saints in heaven.
That is a fascinating insight, especially regarding our Guardian Angel. Thanks!
 
God is omnipresent. He is everywhere. You can run but you can’t hide! 😉
 
This is probably referring to Matthew 18:19-20 where Jesus is talking to the disciples.
 
17 [20] For where two or three . . . midst of them: the presence of Jesus guarantees the efficacy of the prayer. This saying is similar to one attributed to a rabbi executed in A.D. 135 at the time of the second Jewish revolt: “. . . When two sit and there are between them the words of the Torah, the divine presence (Shekinah) rests upon them” (Pirqe Abot 3:3).

That’s the commentary from this passage from the NAB.
 
Are you concerning that God does not hear your prayer when you pray alone?

Remember that Jesus was praying to the Father when no one was with Him. Surely God is present when you pray alone.
 
No, I feel the presence, I was just perplexed by the statement I originally posted and will check out the verses posted, thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top