What does it mean to say God is love and he made us to know, love and serve him? Are we sinners who stand before him in need of forgiveness and grace? Is it right to hope he will forgive us who, although we are sinners, try not to judge others, to love all people and walk humbly with our God, but not in a judgemental or proud way?
But we do have intellect and will. We judge many things, but should we judge the state of our souls and that of others? I learned that sex outside marriage is gravely sinful, but are all those in ambiguous sexual relationship bound for hell?
When I read an article sounding like a dog whistle, I wonder what the motivation is. As an Irish person, not directly involved in US politics, I read the article by Karlo Broussard (Unreasonable Sex, 9/2/2019) and think is it about morality or a political message condemning those who are opposed to certain people in US politics?
I think of the words of Pope Francis and ask ‘who am I to judge?’. I also remember the injunction that we should not judge, so we will not be judged, and also the reminder that St Paul did not judge people, not even himself.
So perhaps should we let people in a free society follow their consciences and act as they think right, and vote for whom they think is the best candidate?
Please do not condemn me, but remember me in your prayers and perhaps on the last day we will meet Socrates and tell him we always knew he was not mortal, and that we are happy that he will live forever with us, and with a lot of queer folk, in heaven.
But we do have intellect and will. We judge many things, but should we judge the state of our souls and that of others? I learned that sex outside marriage is gravely sinful, but are all those in ambiguous sexual relationship bound for hell?
When I read an article sounding like a dog whistle, I wonder what the motivation is. As an Irish person, not directly involved in US politics, I read the article by Karlo Broussard (Unreasonable Sex, 9/2/2019) and think is it about morality or a political message condemning those who are opposed to certain people in US politics?
I think of the words of Pope Francis and ask ‘who am I to judge?’. I also remember the injunction that we should not judge, so we will not be judged, and also the reminder that St Paul did not judge people, not even himself.
So perhaps should we let people in a free society follow their consciences and act as they think right, and vote for whom they think is the best candidate?
Please do not condemn me, but remember me in your prayers and perhaps on the last day we will meet Socrates and tell him we always knew he was not mortal, and that we are happy that he will live forever with us, and with a lot of queer folk, in heaven.