Is God's Forgiveness Unconditional?

• Thread starter Thread starter pat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pat

Is God’s forgiveness unconditional, or must one express contrition or repentance before God forgives him or her?

God’s forgiveness is offered to everyone, none excepted. To be forgiven, at least a minimum amount of contrition must be shown by the individual.

No. :nope:

These are the conditions:
  1. We have to want it and ask for it. We can not just sin and assume that God forgives all sin under all conditions.
  2. We have to want to avoid this sin in the future. This is desire to change in our heart towards God and sin less. We may fall for this sin again, but we should truly want to do ever commit it again.
  3. We have to either be perfectly contrite in our seeking forgiveness for this sin or receive forgiveness in the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) (in which through a gift from Jesus to His Church, He grants the authority to forgive sins even with an imperfection contrition).
Then we are fully cleansed. :getholy:

40.png
pat:
Is God’s forgiveness unconditional, or must one express contrition or repentance before God forgives him or her?
If it was unconditional, we would all still be in the Garden of Eden. Lucifer would still be the bightest and most beautiful of the angels.

Take a look around.

Luke 17:3Be on your guard! If another disciple sins, you must rebuke the offender, and if there is repentance, you must forgive. 4And if the same person sins against you seven times a day, and turns back to you seven times and says, “I repent,” you must forgive.’

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Luke 7:47
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

If God’s forgiveness was unconditional and universal, there would be no one of whom “little was forgiven”.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

All you have to do is put forth the smallest effort… tell God your sorry… If it’s mortal, find yourself a priest…FAST!

I’m surprised that there aren’t more replies supporting the idea of God’s unconditional foregiveness.

Did the father of the prodigal son wait for the son to declare his contrition before he welcomed him? I thought the father merely saw the son.

40.png
pat:
Did the father of the prodigal son wait for the son to declare his contrition before he welcomed him? I thought the father merely saw the son.
The father of the prodigal son is the Heaven Father who knows the hearts of all men, so he saw the deep contrition of the son written on his heart as well as his desire for forgiveness (even though he felt unworthy of it, in that he was willing to be the least servant in his father’s household.)

40.png
pat:
I’m surprised that there aren’t more replies supporting the idea of God’s unconditional foregiveness.

yes, he saw the son returning home. this was in and of itself an act of contrition. the father knew the only way the son would or could return home was to ask forgiveness and so the father assumed what was in his son’s heart.

1021 Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ. The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. The parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul – a destiny which can be different for some and for others.

[1022](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1022.htm’)😉 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification594 or immediately,595 – or immediate and everlasting damnation.596

At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love.597
** I**

II. HEAVEN

[1023](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1023.htm’)😉 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face:598

The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

[1036](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1036.htm’)😉 The affirmations of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church on the subject of hell are a call to the responsibility incumbent upon man to make use of his freedom in view of his eternal destiny. They are at the same time an urgent call to conversion: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few."618

Since we know neither the day nor the hour, we should follow the advice of the Lord and watch constantly so that, when the single course of our earthly life is completed, we may merit to enter with him into the marriage feast and be numbered among the blessed, and not, like the wicked and slothful servants, be ordered to depart into the eternal fire, into the outer darkness where "men will weep and gnash their teeth."619 [1037](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1037.htm’)😉 God predestines no one to go to hell;620 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want “any to perish, but all to come to repentance”:621

If God granted forgiveness with no need of repentance, then there would be no need of Redemption, or the Incarnation, or the Church. Sinners would be ushered into heaven whether they wanted to be there or not, brought kicking and screaming into the presence of God against their will. Would that make them happy?

JimG

40.png
pat:
God is always ready and waiting for you to come to Him for a relationship. He calls you constantly. He does, however, give you the freedom to choose whether and when you respond. God’s Love rains down on you constantly. You can stand in your house and tell yourself that you are in a rainstorm, but if you don’t open the door and go out, you’ll still stay as dry as a dead bone.

If forgiveness is not unconditional but conditioned on repentance, why did the Lord from the Cross call on the Father to forgive the men who had been part of his torture and execution? There’s no indication that all of them or even a significant number of them showed repentance.

Didnt’ read all the posts but…

God’s LOVE is unconditional. His forgivness must be asked for.

🙂 Lilder

40.png
pat:
If forgiveness is not unconditional but conditioned on repentance, why did the Lord from the Cross call on the Father to forgive the men who had been part of his torture and execution? There’s no indication that all of them or even a significant number of them showed repentance.
I look at this like I would pray to God for a conversion of a loved one. “Please God, grant them the grace to change and come to You.”

Jesus asks God for them to be granted the Grace to see the wrongs they have done and repent.

40.png
pat:
Pat,
We know that God requires us to forgive unconditionally, and to pray for the person who has sinned against us, as we pray for God to forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. That is what the Lord was doing, He forgave those who offended Him personally, and He prayed for them.Their sins, while great, were not directed against God to any greater degree that any other sins of cruelty. He was teaching us how to forgive. Nowhere does Our Lord’s prayer for them speak to their responsibility as sinners, nor does it imply that they had none.

Our Lord warns of frequently of “Gehenna” where the fire is unquenchable. He tells us that all evil doers will be rounded up by His angels and he will pronounce the condemnation, “Depart from Me, you cursed, into the eternal fire,” Matthew 25:41. There are many references to hell and damnation in Matthew, and throughout the Gospels. I don’t understand this to mean that God loves them less, or that He is in some way deficient in Mercy. So if people will be damned, the deficiency must be in them. Thus God has conditions. The Church teaches us that the condition is repentance, which is well documented by T.A.Stobie and others in this thread.

:blessyou:
Charliemac

We know that God requires us to forgive unconditionally,
This doesn’t make sense – God doesn’t forgive unconditionally, but God requires us to forgive unconditionally – you’re saying God wants us to do something he’s unwilling to do Himself?

If God demands contrition, then why can’t I?

40.png
pat:
This doesn’t make sense – God doesn’t forgive unconditionally, but God requires us to forgive unconditionally – you’re saying God wants us to do something he’s unwilling to do Himself?

If God demands contrition, then why can’t I?
We are called to forgive unconditionally and we should always try to. There is a difference, however, between forgiving and reconciling. Just because we forgive (which is usually for our own sake and not the sake of others) does not mean we are reconciled with someone who has not asked for that forgiveness. Otherwise, it is then simply cheap grace.

If I have an argument with a friend or family member and we are now separated, there has to be willingness from both parties in order to have a full reconciliation. I believe that God calls us to always forgive. But, like Him, we cannot be reconciled if we are the only ones doing our part. It takes true repentence and humility from both parties involved. God is always willing to do His part and He calls us to always be willing to our part as well.

40.png
Britta:
We are called to forgive unconditionally and we should always try to. There is a difference, however, between forgiving and reconciling. Just because we forgive (which is usually for our own sake and not the sake of others) does not mean we are reconciled with someone who has not asked for that forgiveness. Otherwise, it is then simply cheap grace.

If I have an argument with a friend or family member and we are now separated, there has to be willingness from both parties in order to have a full reconciliation. I believe that God calls us to always forgive. But, like Him, we cannot be reconciled if we are the only ones doing our part. It takes true repentence and humility from both parties involved. God is always willing to do His part and He calls us to always be willing to our part as well.
Excellent, and well said.
Charliemac

40.png
pat:
And there’s no indication that all of them or even a significant number of them had any idea that what they were doing was evil, or offensive to God (a sin).

Peace in Christ…Salmon

So forgiveness is unconditional It is *reconciliation * that is conditioned by asking for forgiveness.

A: You stole my bike.
B: Please forgive me – but I’m keeping the bike.
A: You’re forgiven because I’m giving forgiveness unconditionally.

Is that a reconciliation or cheap grace or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back