Is having Netflix sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter imo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imo

Guest
Here in Brazil, Netflix put an outrageous comedy show mocking Our Lord, Jesus Christ (so much for the largest “Catholic country” in the world). Anyway, this really shocked me. Of course, I will never watch it and I always try to filter the scandalous stuff. But, my question is if it is ok to maintain Netflix or I am becoming some kind of an accomplice in this. The problem is that I really enjoy it, I don’t have regular TV, just streaming and it is very practical to me. I really enjoy coming from work and relax watching something nice without commercials, the way I want, and there is a lot of very good shows like The Crown. What do you think about that?
 
I stopped watching Netflix when they decided that they were no longer going to shoot movies and television shows in my neighbouring state, because said state had just passed really strict abortion laws, which I agree with, and in fact think should be more strict, like outlaw it. I don’t think it’s necessarily sinful to watch it , so long as you’re not watching shows that are, but at the same time, there could be a case of remote cooperation with evil, which I think better to avoid. I mean, they’re not the only streaming app around.
 
I love Netflix…especially recommend the 4 gospels…which follows scripture very closely.

There is some questionable content, but I do have a remote control…I simply make another choice.

Today, if we boycotted everything with some questionable or offensive material, we would have to live off the grid…not a bad idea, but not practical for everyone.
 
I did not see the news about Netflix boycotting a state if a strict abortion law was passed. I did hear certain Hollywood actors proclaim they would boycott the state
(Georgia?), but I did not know Netflix made that threat. Considering the deal they
made with Obama and how pro-abortion Obama is it wouldn’t surprise me.
 
But, my question is if it is ok to maintain Netflix or I am becoming some kind of an accomplice in this.
I cancelled my Netflix subscription because of their prochoice stand. I stated my reasons when I did so. When Georgia signed their prolife laws, a lot of celebrities protested and said they would not work there and one of the Netflix directors made a public statement supporting the rights of women etc, it was posted on fb and a good number of prolifers left Netflix to let them know that we also have a say. I enjoyed some shows there but I did not want to continue giving them my money.
 
It depends what you watch.

At most it is a near occasion of sin because of the easy availability of immoral content. However you are not obliged to watch that content.

Drugstores sell contraceptives, and abortifacients, but that doesn’t mean we can’t use a drugstore to purchase necessary medication and toiletries.

You can also use a telephone to gossip or plot a crime, or to say hi to grandma on Sunday. It doesn’t mean a telephone is per se sinful.
 
Well isn’t the device you are using a near occasion of sin
yeah…this could be problematic in that Bill Gates gave 1.73 million to planned parenthood, and Apple has numerous iPhone/ipad Apps associated with planned parenthood.

So, how can we turn away from Netflix but give a pass to computers and phones and tablets with Microsoft or Apple operating systems?
 
EWTN? Actually if you get a formed login the films are great. My hero? Ignatius of Loyola excellent film.
 
You might do a test of Formed.org

Netflix is morally neutral. What you choose to view is a matter of prudence.
 
Honestly, the first time I looked at Netflix several years ago, I was put off by the prominent LGBTQ category. I just didn’t want to see it or expose my kids to the brainwashing all the time.
I think Netflix is more culpable than a lot of other companies because they are actively producing the questionable content.
Imagine someone from a couple of generations ago, or someone like Padre Pio. Would he approve of us watching / supporting that trash?
 
Well, Netflix has a kids version that filters the content, so it is better than regular TV.
Besides, I like the example of pharmacies. By that logic, we couldn’t by a good medicine in any pharmacies that sell contraceptives, or worse, abortives pills. Or supermarkets that sells condoms…
 
Have you seen pharmacies that have prominent signage when you walk in pointing out objectionable / controversial products? Do the pharmacies themselves create and make the objectionable / controversial products?
 
Our Big Chain pharmacy has that roped off line where you stand to wait in queue. The product that is shelved right behind the rope? Condoms, lubricants, etc.

If I had kids who asked about them, I would explain to their age level.

Movies and TV shows have divorce, remarriage, murder, and other topics that I’d not let a 5 year old watch, but I may watch with my 11 year old and we would have a conversation about homosexuality or trans-sexuality or serial marriage.
 
Having Netflix is not sinful, in of itself. Watching sinful movies on Netflix is sinful, though.

HOWEVER, if having Netflix is too tempting for you & is a near occasion for sin for you, then it might be best to get rid of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top