Is it a grave sin to vote Republican?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
pnewton:
This phrase: “… that perpetuated and advances the cult of death.”
How is that begging the question?
Here is how that can be seen as begging the question.

Your proposition is the following:
40.png
vern_humphrey:
Canon law says “formal participation” in abortion results in ex communication, latae sententia – that it is, by the act itself you excommunicate yourself,

I consider voting a formal act.
So you want to establish that voting for a Democrat is formal participation in the act of abortion.

When pnewton pointed out that it is formal participation in voting, not in abortion, thus cutting the direct ties you were trying to establish, you countered with
40.png
vern_humphrey:
It is a formal act that perpetuated and advances the cult of death.
By your use of the word “formal” you are saying that voting is formal cooperation with abortion. But that is just what you started out trying to prove, thus begging the question. Essentially your argument boils down to “Voting is formal cooperation with evil because voting is formal cooperation with evil.” Saying the same thing in slightly different words does not obscure the fact that it is still begging the question.
 
We have to keep in mind the Church is pretty specific with their words.

“Formal cooperation is directly intending a contribution to the evil action of another. It expresses approval for that evil and is always illicit. There are two types, explicit and implicit, which reflect the difference between intend- ing as a goal or acknowledged means and intending as an unacknowledged means.”

https://www.ncbcenter.org/files/1214/4916/3466/NCBCsummFAQ_Cooperation.pdf

I could see this being the case where a country has a referendum to legalize abortion like what happened recently in Ireland.

Would a vote for someone wanting to legalize torture be formal cooperation with evil?
 
He campaigned on having Mexico pay for it. But after the Mexican government laughed in his face, he had to get the money from somewhere else.
Mexico, funds for hurricane relief in a US territory, the US Department of Defense, all the same thing, right? 🤣
For two years, the Republican controlled Senate and House refused Trump money for his wall. Then he turned down a deal the Democrats offered because they tied the Dreamer issue to the money offered.
Now, he just takes money ear-marked for military bases and uses it for something else.
Illegal immigrants have not been deported back to their countries. They have been locked up in makeshift border gulags in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, by the border patrol and ICE.
Those are the facts.
Frankly, it surprises me that he didn’t drop things he couldn’t get in order to go for things that he could get. I don’t know why he switched from being a pragmatist to being an ideologue–maybe from watching too much 24 hour news?–but I don’t think ideologue is really in his wheelhouse, nor in the best interest of the kind of record of achievement I think he set out to build.

Maybe the only alternative was going after those who profit from or exploit undocumented workers, only he knew that would be a charge he’d be sending in his own direction?

Who knows. Trying to rationalize the thoughts that lead to his actions is getting to be an impossible task. Better to just give up.
 
Last edited:
So you want to establish that voting for a Democrat is formal participation in the act of abortion.
When did I say that? I said that voting for a pro-death candidate – one who wants to perpetuate and expand abortion is formal participation.
 
40.png
LeafByNiggle:
So you want to establish that voting for a Democrat is formal participation in the act of abortion.
When did I say that? I said that voting for a pro-death candidate – one who wants to perpetuate and expand abortion is formal participation.
40.png
vern_humphrey:
Canon law says “formal participation” in abortion results in ex communication, latae sententia – that it is, by the act itself you excommunicate yourself,

I consider voting a formal act.
As I said, saying the same thing with slightly different words is still saying the same thing. Or perhaps you would like to explain why your statement does not say that voting for a Democrat is formal participation in abortion.
 
As I said, saying the same thing with slightly different words is still saying the same thing. Or perhaps you would like to explain why your statement does not say that voting for a Democrat is formal participation in abortion.
I have to tell you that you are putting words in my mouth. If YOU tar all Democrats as being pro-abortion, that’s YOUR prejudice, not mine.
 
I have to tell you that you are putting words in my mouth. If YOU tar all Democrats as being pro-abortion, that’s YOUR prejudice, not mine.
The party does seem to be doing all it can to run everyone with pro-life views out of it, alas.
Worse yet, in our state there are members of the GOP trying to embrace pro-choice views in order to garner more votes.
 
Last edited:
It’s a grave sin to treat people like garbage, but neither party holds the monopoly on that.
 
The party does seem to be doing all it can to run everyone with pro-life views out of it, alas.
Yes, but that doesn’t mean we can never find a pro-life member of the Democrat Party – in fact, I know several personally, including my County Judge,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top