Is it a mortal sin to miss Mass because your mother started making dinner late?

  • Thread starter Thread starter m8g8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missing Mass a grave matter? Yes.
  2. You having full knowledge that missing Mass is a grave matter?
  3. You giving full consent to miss Mass?
Only you know teh answers to 2 and 3. Surely you can ask your mum to reheat your dinner when you return from mass. Surely your mother would understand how much your Catholic faith means to you, have you explained the Sunday obligation?

The Church I usually go to is currently destroyed, the second closest one is in a secure zone and is closed until teh authorities deem the area safe. I walked one hour in the cold rain to get to Mass on Sunday.

Excuse the uncharitable tone, but you put a warm meal ahead of Mass? Really?
 
😉

In order for it to be “mortal” it has to be quite serious. Not to downplay missing mass, but I don’t think it counts as “mortal”.
**2181 **The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.
 
😉

In order for it to be “mortal” it has to be quite serious. Not to downplay missing mass, but I don’t think it counts as “mortal”.
The Church, by the authority granted her by Christ himself, has bound all Catholics to attend Mass on Sundays under pain of grave sin. This means deliberately missing Mass on Sundays or days of Obligation constitutes the sin of grave disobedience. When done with full knowledge and consent, it is a mortal sin.
 
So basically everything is a mortal sin?

Missing mass is just like pre meditated murder and joinging the taliban.
 
I said this on another thread (it should be my signature) but people with too much time on their hands and desire to bully can make anything sound like a mortal sin.
Missing Mass in such a circumstance is a mortal sin. I got a lengthly lecture from an FSSP priest in the confessional on Saturday about missing Mass. If it’s a mortal sin for me to miss Mass because I had to work and was worried about inconveniencing my employer by not being available on Sundays, then I assure you in this circumstance, missing Mass on Sunday because your mom started dinner late is a mortal sin.

When I’m at home I rarely get the chance to eat with my parents. They just dish me up a plate and I heat it up in the microwave when I get home. It’s not an excuse to miss Mass. Also, it is not advisable to be eating right before Mass anyway because you’re required to fast for at least an hour before receiving communion.
 
  1. Missing Mass a grave matter? Yes.
  2. You having full knowledge that missing Mass is a grave matter?
  3. You giving full consent to miss Mass?
Only you know teh answers to 2 and 3. Surely you can ask your mum to reheat your dinner when you return from mass. Surely your mother would understand how much your Catholic faith means to you, have you explained the Sunday obligation?

The Church I usually go to is currently destroyed, the second closest one is in a secure zone and is closed until teh authorities deem the area safe. I walked one hour in the cold rain to get to Mass on Sunday.

Excuse the uncharitable tone, but you put a warm meal ahead of Mass? Really?
God Bless you and your family and all the folks in ChristChurch. I continue to pray for recovery.
 
So basically everything is a mortal sin?

Missing mass is just like pre meditated murder and joinging the taliban.
Read the Bible. Not everything is a mortal sin.

However,* deliberately* missing Mass (with full knowledge and consent) is just like premeditated murder and joining the Taliban in that it is a mortal sin and if one dies unrepentant, will also send one to hell just like murderers and terrorists. If one is ill or has a just reason to do so, then there is no sin.

I don’t like to mince words. To deliberately miss Mass when one is bound to is turning his back on God and his grace, which is the very definition of mortal sin.
 
We planned to go to evening Mass, but my Mum has suddenly started making dinner (the last Mass is in 50 minutes, so It’s un-likely we’ll make it ).

If we do miss Mass, would I be in mortal sin? 😦
Most guys in Hell are there for this very reason! Sure, they had to admit Hitler and Saddam Hussein on technicalities, but the bulk of those tormented souls are there as a direct result of home cooking!😃
 
Are both not rejecting God and putting oneself first?
Yes. Silly me. I was convinced that missing mass (which no one here has really advocated-keep that in mind) was a little less serious that pre meditated homicide. Sure, both are “putting oneself first”.

Are you aware of how absurd that sounds to anyone with the slightest shred of common sense?

Owlpride is right. Everything is a mortal sin. Everything. Including this reading this sentence.
 
Yes. Silly me. I was convinced that missing mass (which no one here has really advocated-keep that in mind) was a little less serious that pre meditated homicide. Sure, both are “putting oneself first”.

Are you aware of how absurd that sounds to anyone with the slightest shred of common sense?

Owlpride is right. Everything is a mortal sin. Everything. Including this reading this sentence.
Both are mortal sins. Some mortal sins are graver than other, but they’re still both mortal sins.
 
Yes. Silly me. I was convinced that missing mass (which no one here has really advocated-keep that in mind) was a little less serious that pre meditated homicide. Sure, both are “putting oneself first”.

Are you aware of how absurd that sounds to anyone with the slightest shred of common sense?

Owlpride is right. Everything is a mortal sin. Everything. Including this reading this sentence.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud!

It’s grave to miss Mass without good reason. I can’t say it’s mortal, but that has been stated several times in this thread. What justifies good reason is up to God and the person committing said sin.

It seems that a lot of people are trying to do the bare minimum. If that makes you happy, fine. However, there is nothing absurd about what I wrote. I meant it and still do. If God is to be the center of our life, how does missing Mass for a meal accomplish that?

I have common sense and your post did nothing, but make me frustrated. So, feel free not to respond to anymore of my posts. They aren’t for you and I have no desire to read your opinion anyway. Another reminder why I hate this forum and should never come here. It’s like a train wreck. I can’t stop looking.
 
Both are mortal sins. Some mortal sins are graver than other, but they’re still both mortal sins.
Of course they are. I don’t feel guilty about my third vehicular homicide, but gosh darn it, missing mass because I had that heart attack will do me in!

(laugh it off, everyone!)
 
Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud!

It’s grave to miss Mass without good reason. I can’t say it’s mortal, but that has been stated several times in this thread. What justifies good reason is up to God and the person committing said sin.

It seems that a lot of people are trying to do the bare minimum. If that makes you happy, fine. However, there is nothing absurd about what I wrote. I meant it and still do. If God is to be the center of our life, how does missing Mass for a meal accomplish that?

I have common sense and your post did nothing, but make me frustrated. So, feel free not to respond to anymore of my posts. They aren’t for you and I have no desire to read your opinion anyway. Another reminder why I hate this forum and should never come here. It’s like a train wreck. I can’t stop looking.
Fondest regards to you as well!

And this forum is fantastic. I love how everyone can state their opinions. If you don’t like it, fine. Then stop reading it and move on with your life.

And what helps me sleep at night is my big teddy bear.
 
Of course they are. I don’t feel guilty about my third vehicular homicide, but gosh darn it, missing mass because I had that heart attack will do me in!

(laugh it off, everyone!)
Missing Mass for a heart attack isn’t the same as missing Mass to eat supper. The Catechism permits people to miss Mass on Sunday if they’re too sick. Obviously, a heart attack qualifies under that.

[edited]
 
Fondest regards to you as well!

And this forum is fantastic. I love how everyone can state their opinions. If you don’t like it, fine. Then stop reading it and move on with your life.

And what helps me sleep at night is my big teddy bear.
Love the edit to your post…much better than what you wrote originally.

I have no problem with the different opinions and enjoy them as well. What I hate is that there are so many people that accuse other posters of being absurd or not having common sense without basis for that argument.

Apparently, trusting the Church authority on the matter and agreeing makes me absurd and without common sense. Look at the Catechism of the Catholic Church before making such accusations. As for the state of my soul, I’ll go with the Church and not your “authority”.
 
Missing Mass for a heart attack isn’t the same as missing Mass to eat supper. The Catechism permits people to miss Mass on Sunday if they’re too sick. Obviously, a heart attack qualifies under that.

And with that said,

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!
The guy/gal has over 4,000 posts. I think it’s safe to say he’s not a troll.
 
Love the edit to your post…much better than what you wrote originally.

I have no problem with the different opinions and enjoy them as well. What I hate is that there are so many people that accuse other posters of being absurd or not having common sense without basis for that argument.

Apparently, trusting the Church authority on the matter and agreeing makes me absurd and without common sense. Look at the Catechism of the Catholic Church before making such accusations. As for the state of my soul, I’ll go with the Church and not your “authority”.
Look. People sometimes post things that are obvious. Eg. that they don’t like the pew color so they don’t want to go to Mass. Baring any mental illness, it woul be a mortal sin.

I think that missing Mass is sometimes, many times, a mortal sin. People get lazy and choose to shut off their relationship to God. It isn’t always mortal-as in competely cuts off our relationship to God. Some posters use hyperoble to point that out. As for myself, I think that Mass is truly a treasure and going is gift from God. God, come down to serve us in Holy Communion…and we get to be there…AMAZING. But not every reason that negats mortal sin for missing mass has to be life or death. Sometimes its just life. We must be careful to not make a habit of it. But it happens. Is willfully and hatefully missing mass a mortal sin? Yep. But that’s becuase it purposfully rejects God and your relationship with God. Will the punishment be as bad as that of a murder? No. But cut off from God is still cut of…and it’s not a good place to be.

This forum has a tendency to deamonize those posters who get in particular situations that they may not be in control of. There are threads where posters say it is better to be abused or killed for no reason than to lie…about anything…even a broken pencil. There are threads that condem people for reading certian books and equate it to devil worship. There are threads that condem people for wearing jeans to Mass to the same disrespect as if they were spitting at the priest.

Look around. It can be a nasty place to be.

Only the OP and the priest can decide if this is a mortal sin or not. Certinally it his indicision and then not going when he has other means (car, etc) can be a minor sin, but we don’t know his relationship with his parents, church or world that might mean he’s completely sinless in this.
 
Of course they are. I don’t feel guilty about my third vehicular homicide, but gosh darn it, missing mass because I had that heart attack will do me in!

(laugh it off, everyone!)
A heart attack is a serious reason to miss Mass, and is definitely not deliberate. There is no sin.

It really does take a hard heart to deliberately miss Mass despite knowing that it is our obligation under the Church’s God-given authority. That hardness of heart is what merits hell because of the deliberate disobedience.

As for your third vehicular homicide, hypothetical or not, we don’t know the circumstances either. It could have been an accident, in which case there is no sin.

One couldn’t really care what “common sense” says because “common” sense does not know of the authority of the Church to bind and loose. I do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top