Is it a sin to disrespect a priest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gloria_Rogers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gloria_Rogers

Guest
Is it a sin to disrepect a priest? I have asked him questions several times. He will will no answer my questions pertaining to matters of the church and apparently I have disrespected him. Is this a sin?
 
First, how old are you? Are you old enough to realize it is how you ask a question to someone that determines whether or not you get a reply.
If you are insulting or combative in asking the question, what do you expect for an answer.?
And yes, under such circumstances, it is a sin against another human being, not just a priest. The degree of agression or insult would determine whether it is Mortal or Venial in nature. You should discuss this in confesion the next time you go.
Always remember, when in doubt about the sinfulness of something you do, or forget to do, take it up in confession. The internet is not the place to get accurate answers on such matters.
 
You must be charitable in asking a question. If you come across like you assume he has done something not in line with the Church, he will be on the defensive. Anyone would.
 
Is it a sin to disrepect a priest? I have asked him questions several times. He will will no answer my questions pertaining to matters of the church and apparently I have disrespected him. Is this a sin?
The following are taken from revelations from JESUS to Mutter Vogel of Germany as published in “Mutter Vogel’s Worldwide Love” St. Grignion Publishing House, Altoting, South Germany June 29, 1929.
“One should NEVER attack a priest, even when he’s in error. Rather, one should pray and do penance that I’ll grant him MY grace again. He alone fully represents ME, even when he doesn’t live by MY example!”

“Whoever voices judgement over a priest has voiced it over ME; child, never let a priest be attacked; take up his defense.”

". . . and speak no unkind word (about them) EVEN IF IT WERE TRUE !.. . . "

And in San Damiano, Italy Aug 14 1965 JESUS told Mama Rosa Quattrini “Pray for priests. Pray with might and do not cease praying, for the devil wants their downfall… .”
 
Is it a sin to disrepect a priest? I have asked him questions several times. He will will no answer my questions pertaining to matters of the church and apparently I have disrespected him. Is this a sin?
It is a sin to disrespect anyone.
 
It’s a sin only if you were being deliberately disrespectful.
 
I guess I would like more information. Certain respect is socially appropriate even if you weren’t Catholic.

The minute you said he wouldn’t work with you I thought, “Oh boy she got my old priest” as he just moved from our parish. He was rude, bossy, would preach in a red-faced rage about certain topics and told me he would no longer hear my Confessions or counsel me. I have a mental illness and I do very well with it but I think it scared him. He also put some really “whacky” people in charge of things. I simply quietly attended and stayed out of his way. I did not trash him to others, I was polite but I never talked to him, figuring it best to avoid contact. I was lonely, had just gotten divorced, had just returned to the faith after 9 years and totally did not deserve that. But he can makes mistakes too. I simply found a better priest and prayed a novena for him to move (not sure how cool that is but I never said anything to anyone) and on the 10th day he announced he was being moved.

Now I have a very kind and compassionate priest and he is very kind to me, reads my blog and gives me direction. I finally got over being freaked out and terrified to return to my former parish and since I love the members I worked that through. I left for 3 weeks while the old priest was moving and went somewhere else so he could say goodbye to those who loved him and give him space. I returned and the new priest was very kind in Confession. It feels good to be accepted again.

I have learned that sometimes I have to just sweep my side of the street, I cannot sweep his. I can only change myself and priests aren’t perfect. I will pray that I can heal from the horrible pain I was in and move forward.

Don’t say bad things about him, just find another priest to work with and pray that you continue to grow in your faith. Fortunately bad/lousy priests are not very common. Most are kind, supportive, and men of deep faith.

God bless you,

Lorrie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top