Is it a sin to eat at buffets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ProdigalSon1211
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ProdigalSon1211

Guest
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
 
Well if it is a sin then somebody better tell our Bishop! He loves the buffet at the chinese restaurant here in town when he stops in for one of his all to infrequent visits.
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
Sounds like you can’t detach yourself from money, If you eat to the point of gorging yourself to make sure you get your money’s worth. Speak to your regular confessor about this. For the average person that can maintain self control and not gorge himself, there is no sin in eating at a buffet…be it mortal or venial…
 
I don’t know your medical background, OP, but as long as your doctor is comfortable with you splurging every once in a while, I don’t see why not. Everything in moderation, including splurging. 😉
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
Yes, it would be an instance of gluttony any time you " absolutely " stuff yourself or drink too much or smoke too much or take illegal drugs or dope. How serious I don’t know, it would be a matte of judgment. You need to talk to your priest about it.

🤷
 
Love your neighbor, as yourself. Would you stuff yourself to the point of immobility? Would you spend your money on a buffet, when you couldn’t clearly afford it, no matter how hard you tried to rationalize spending the money for it? I think questions like these, need to go back on these points of reflection. There are times, and places for buffets. That’s why God implanted his intellect upon us: to discern times like these.
 
There are serious problems with buffets:
  • the food quality is often questionable
  • if there is any good food, it usually runs out too fast
  • if you have to queue, it feels too much like school camp or prison (although I’ve only experienced one of the two)
Morally, they’re fine I suppose. 🤷
 
Hmm, “to get your money’s worth” sounds like codespeak for “I don’t trust God to provide for my needs” which is an entirely different problem. I would say to eat as long as it’s properly pleasurable is fine though - you can skip or reduce a later meal to adjust if wanted. Gluttony seems to lie in the intent and not the amount, even per sitting, and perhaps could be defined as an inordinate attachment to food. Some people might commit gluttony with amounts of food that in others might not amount to any sin. Any attachment to a created thing over God is a sin. Everything in its proper place. Try to read your heart’s intention - are you eating out of necessity or simple pleasure, or are you eating because you are addicted to food? Ask God to help you discern, but in the meantime the Church has its own discerning mechanism - fasting. This helps keep food in its proper place as a good, but under other higher goods. If you’re not in a position to fast, for example, because of legitimate work concerns, you could try a psychologist, or trust to your insights in prayer. Even small sacrifices could help you discern if the food is controlling you. But don’t forget to celebrate with the pleasures of the plate when it’s the time to celebrate. God bless!
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
There is so much hunger in this world, and people wonder if it is okay to eat to the point that they are stuffed. They want to blame someone for their overindulgence, because they do not want to look at themselves first. Let’s forget that many people go to buffets and never eat that much from them to be stuffed.

This is not about getting what you pay for. We all pay for people who end up diabetic or grossly obese with the crazy insurance copays.

We all have a responsibility to do what I think is a reasonable thing. Treat your body as if it is a temple. This advice comes from your bible. It makes sense to me.
 
1809 Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods. It ensures the will’s mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. The temperate person directs the sensitive appetites toward what is good and maintains a healthy discretion: "Do not follow your inclination and strength, walking according to the desires of your heart."72 Temperance is often praised in the Old Testament: "Do not follow your base desires, but restrain your appetites."73 In the New Testament it is called “moderation” or “sobriety.” We ought "to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world."74

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a7.htm#I
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
There isn’t anything wrong with ‘getting what you pay for’. However it does seem to me that some people feel they have to get more than they paid for at a buffet or an ‘all you can eat’ type of arrangement. It’s almost as though they believe they are being cheated unless they eat far more than they normally would.

For example, if say the price for a ‘full breakfast’ covers everything, it’s okay to have some of everything or have a good amount of what you enjoy. I don’t think it’s okay to keep going back and having more and more when you don’t need it or even really want it just because you don’t have to pay any extra for it - that’s selfish and greedy to me, and I think it’s miserly too. 🤷
 
I always overate at my grandma’s house. Is it a mortal sin to eat at Grandma’s? Obviously not. It isn’t eating at the buffet in itself that could/would be a sin, but if the OP absolutely can’t seem not to stop at a reasonable point when doing so, perhaps they should not eat at buffets. Or better yet, learn to stop when full.
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
Why would you think this is a sin? There’s nothing more than I like than hearing “All you can eat”. Oh wait, I do like hearing the words “Open bar” 😉
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
I don’t think eating at a buffet is sinful at all.

Wasting food is worse than wasting money, and overeating to the point where you feel ill is not prudent.

If you feel that going to a buffet contributes to your overeating and feeling overly attached to money/ food, then it would be prudent to not go.
 
If it is, wouldn’t a Thanksgiving feast be sinful, too?

I doubt it.
 
There are serious problems with buffets:
  • the food quality is often questionable
  • if there is any good food, it usually runs out too fast
  • if you have to queue, it feels too much like school camp or prison (although I’ve only experienced one of the two)
Morally, they’re fine I suppose. 🤷
Not only that, but they always give you salad plates instead of dinner plates to make it seem like you get more, and the serving spoons are the size of tablespoons for the same reasons.
 
Does anybody know if it is a mortal sin to eat at buffets? When I eat at buffets I absolutely stuff myself with food. I want to get what I pay for and not waste any $. So would eating at buffets fall under gluttony and overindulgence?
No it is not a sin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top