Is it a sin to miss mass and take communion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jacob1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, Jacob! 🙂
Missing Mass without a legitimate reason is wrong.
The Fourth Commandment – Remember the Sabbath Day, keep it Holy. Attend Mass and keep work to a minimum.
Some people must work on Sundays because that is what their job requires. But they still can attend Saturday night Mass.
Missing Mass and taking communion the following week would not be the correct thing to do.
 
Is it okay to hear Mass with mortal sin and not receive Communion? I have been going to church everyday, I stopped when I heard a priest said (in his talk about Communion) “a person with mortal sin should not even attend Mass…” Is true?
 
s it okay to hear Mass with mortal sin and not receive Communion?
Yes. A person who is in a state of mortal sin is still obligated to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days.
I have been going to church everyday, I stopped when I heard a priest said (in his talk about Communion) “a person with mortal sin should not even attend Mass…” Is true?
No, that is not true. Maybe you misunderstood what he was saying. Maybe the priest was attempting to prompt people to get to confession by saying you shouldn’t come to mass in mortal sin? He wouldn’t have meant that you should literally not go to Mass, because that is not Church teaching.

Maybe ask him what he meant?
 
It’s not a sin at all to go to mass if you have a mortal sin. It’s our obligation to go to mass every Sunday (or Saturday vigil)and on holy Days. If you have a mortal sin (that hasn’t been confessed and absolved in confession) then we shouldn’t go to communion (so just stay in your pew) that’s the only restriction. But we should absolutely go to mass and be present/listen. This fulfills the Sunday obligation.

So in short absolutely go to mass, please do, it’s part of our obligation. If your priest advised you that it’s not ok to even be present in mass If you have a mortal sin I think he was incorrect. You just couldn’t receive communion until after you have gone to confession and been absolved from all mortal sins. Did that answer the question well? Best regards mate.

Edit: holy days not holidays, thanks autocorrect 🙂
 
Last edited:
Absolutely it is ok to hear mass and be in a state of mortal sin… I think you may have had a miscommunication with the Priest I would ask him, if it were me if he could help understand what me meant
 
I go to Mass from Monday to Friday, Mass on TV on Saturdays, but not on a Sunday, is this alright?
 
I go to Mass from Monday to Friday, Mass on TV on Saturdays, but not on a Sunday, is this alright?
Your statement is a little confusing.

Are you saying you don’t go to mass on Sundays? And if not, is there a reason such as work or transportation issues?
 
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I do not attend Mass most of Sundays.
 
… and the reason is because I go to Mass from Mondays to Fridays.
 
This is ultimately the only real advice that can be given with specificity. One’s own priest can best determine what course is reasonable, and even give a dispensation from the obligation if he deems it needed.
 
and the reason is because I go to Mass from Mondays to Fridays.
You need to talk to your priest.

Going to daily mass is admirable. But Catholics are obligated (required) to go to mass on Sundays and Holy Days (or attend the evening before to fulfill the obligation).

No amount of daily masses on other days makes up for or substitutes for Sunday mass attendance.

If you didn’t know it was wrong, it’s hasn’t been a deliberate sin on your part. But now you do know, so please adjust your practices and start going to Sunday mass.

Talk to your pastor.
 
Yes, I know that, I’ll start going to Mass on Sundays too. Besides, I wanted to be able to go to Mass everyday. What about hearing Mass on TV on Saturdays, is this okay?
 
That’s what I plan to do now, to hear Mass everyday especially on Sundays. Thank you very to all.
 
TV mass doesn’t ever replace actually going to mass. If you are ill or otherwise unable to go to mass, there is no obligation.

Watching mass on TV is a nice devotional practice, but it never replaces going to mass.
 
Thank you all, I’ll continue going to church to hear Mass everyday, especially on Sundays or Saturdays (after 4 pm).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top