R
Rainaldo
Guest
No. Let him work at McDonald’s. The point is, he is living up a family tradition of mooching.That is not quite true, at least not in the short term. There are many areas where it is extremely difficult for someone with no education beyond high school to support themselves or afford housing, even if they could find reasonable roommates, which is hardly a given, either.
If I had a nephew with non-working parents who wanted to come live with us so he could go to school or work to save enough money and advance enough to live somewhere decent, I would not feel used if he asked to live with me instead of the other places he’d be likely to have available in our area…not if he was willing to pitch in and be a contributing member of the household, to the extent that he was able to do it. If he expected something for nothing, that would be another matter, but if all he was asking for was a safe place from which to get his life started, I wouldn’t turn him away.
This nephew, however, blew that chance off with an aunt and then with an uncle. Those relatives are hardly bound to keep giving him chances, not when he has taught them what they can expect from him. On that much, you and I agree completely.
I say let him pay for school.
I don’t mind a young gentleman taking his meals with our family. I don’t even mind him having a room in our house. The point is, there is a thick, heavy, well-defined line between mooching and just taking a room and meals from a family. Maybe it’s different in your part of the country. That’s not the way it’s done here. But then again, moochers get short shrift around here.
It don’t take a genius to figure out if you’re being mooched off of. Reading your post, I can’t tell what side of the issue you’re coming down on.