Is it arrogant to think my prayers make a difference?

• Thread starter Thread starter ellam25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ellam25

I’ve been praying the rosary almost every day (when I can between rearing a four year old and 8 month old) for my state (wa) people effected, Italy etc. After my prayers I’ve been hearing "better " news that Washington so far is remaining stable as far as cases go and that italys numbers are decreasing a bit. Idk of it’s my prayers or the whole world working and praying together but I felt like maybe my prayers are being heard and slowly answered but idk if this is wishful thinking or even appropriate. Sorry if the question is dumb

Last edited:
Prayer is conversation with God. It is always good, always beneficial. We do not often see the results of our prayers, as that is not beneficial for us. At our judgment, we will see the good we have done.

It’s not arrogant to think our prayers make a difference, because it’s the truth that our prayers impact the world.
The little boy gave Christ a few loaves and fish and with that Christ fed the 5 thousand. That’s our story today too. We give our little bit and trust God to multiply it.

Sorry if the question is dumb
No, it is not a dumb question. What we are experiencing is not, to me, frightening; but it is really, really serious. The virus is highly contagious; it is deadly to those who have compromised immune systems and to the elderly, particularly those in poor health; and it is not giving a “free pass” to those in their 20’s, up to their 50’s as a few in that age bracket have died and others have needed up hospitalized.

You and I might be watching different sources of the news, because some of the changes in the last few days have been fairly serious in terms of jumps in numbers.

God hears our prayers; but history also shows that a whole lot of people can be saying a whole lot of prayers, and events (Spanish flu; the last two world wars) seem to not respond to the prayers.

My take, for whatever it is worth, is that God has many answers, among them “no”, “not now” “not in this way” and variations on that. God also set the world in motion, and whether we take the sin of Adam and Eve as also giving us a broken world, or that the world was set in motion outside that context, and with certain in-built weaknesses (e.g. susceptibility to bacterial and viral influences) as part of a plan we do not necessarily see clearly (meaning “why”), the point is that He does answer our prayers in time.

Don’t stop praying. One of the Knights in my parish sent a text, as he was requested to say 1 Hail Mary, and then ask 10 others to do so, and in turn request 10. That moves out exponentially. We are seeking an end to this chaos. It will come, in God’s time, not ours.

Some see a chastisement. I don’t think in those terms - which does not mean that I do not question what this means to me and to others.

I don’t see God as a vengeful God (and yes, I am well aware of such images in the Scriptures). Jesus referred to the Father as Abba - which language-wise is the equivalent of “Pappa”. A “Pappa” does not slaughter thousands, or millions, to “teach us a lesson”. He tries to protect us, but just as I tried to protect my children, I knew they would have troubles, tough times, make bad decisions, and have others around them who made bad decisions which impacted my kids. So also “Pappa” wants what is best for us; and we live in a broken world which inflicts all sorts of misery; however, we are not meant for this world alone.

And that is the ultimate “yes” from God.

Last edited:
Hi, where I’m from in Washington we are staying fairly regular as far as the cases go. Not so true for NY which accounts for more than half the cases. The us has surpassed positive cases as far as Italy goes, but that’s because we have a higher population. Also italys cases appear to be slowly slowly declining (I am keeping a close eye on the news). So that is some good news that I have been praying for.

No it is not arrogant of you.

A priest once told me that if we saw, really saw, the effects of our prayers, we will never get off our knees.

No, not arrogant. Obedient.
We don’t know the details of how prayers work, but we’re told to intercede for each other.

It would only be arrogant if you started to think you could force the hand of God, or your prayers had more “pull” than other people’s.

@ellam25

No. It’s arrogant to think that prayers don’t make a difference. Our Lord has explicitly told us to pray, and Jesus doesn’t command anything unless it really matters.

God loves you.

Peace.

Last edited:
If what you mean is, “wahahah, my prayers are so effective because I am so very great and holy!” Then it’s probably arrogant.
If it is more like, “Oh wow, all our prayers together, through the Grace of God, are working!” Then it probably isn’t.

but I felt like maybe my prayers are being heard and slowly answered but idk if this is wishful thinking or even appropriate.
Read the 4 types of prayer it will encourage your understand ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back