Is it bad to have online friends?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hail_Mary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hail_Mary

Guest
I had an online friend who lives overseas and he may be an atheist. My parents do not allow me to have online friends and they think it is unsafe. I feel like nowadays, there are fake people on the internet. I also want to be able to live in the present moment more.
 
If you are a minor you are obligated to obey your parents. Our options as adults…and even other teenagers…are irrelevant.
 
You sound like a teenage young adult. Your desire to grow and break away from your parents and establish your own person is good and natural. However, I imagine that there are things bigger than your experience can handle at this time. I would think you could access the internet and social media, but I would be careful as to becoming to close to one particular person. Your parents are looking out for your best interests and it is normal for there to be friction between teens and parents; it is part of growing up. Live in the present moment, yes, but heed what your parents say as I am sure they love you and are looking out for your best interests. It will be quite soon when you are on your own and can make all those decisions for yourself. Right now, I suggest you be patient.
 
The issue here is that your parents have told you not to have online friends, and by having them you are disobeying your parents.
If you are a minor (which it sounds like you are from your post) then as XV said, you need to do what your parents tell you to do. Otherwise you are disobeying your parents, which is wrong and a sin.

Adults on their own may be able to handle online friends, but they can be very dangerous for minors, and I think your parents are looking out for your best interests.
 
Last edited:
So, I am currently in college and I will be turning 20 years old next month. Actually my parents did not strictly prohibit me from having online friends but it is just that they look down on it. It seems like my parents do not mind as long as I do not give my online friend my phone number or personal information. I never gave him my phone number. I do not message him all the time. We both had innocent conversations and he would just ask me advice like how to approach a girl he likes.
 
So now I do not message him anymore ever since I retired my online account on personality cafe. It has been like three months since I have messaged him. I am busy with college and making friends in real life and so is he. So I did not feel like maintaining an online interaction and I let it bleed out.
 
It depends, IF its just someone you play games with online ect, it should be fine, (like a regular teammate that you know is good at the game or whatever) but you should obey your parents, unless its a grave matter. If you choose to still communicate with this person then just make sure that you don’t give out any personal info. At what point is the person a “friend”? Is a person you speak to in voice chat in game a friend? Is someone a friend if they message you saying do u wanna play? Is someone a friend that you talk about life issues with online? You will have to make that call.
 
Last edited:
If you’re 19, you’re able to decide on your own whether or not to stay in contact with this person. There’s nothing wrong with chatting with someone, but if you feel your time would be better spent elsewhere then that’s fine too.
 
Obedience triumphs. Your parents know the best for you. They are so protective of their children that they don’t want you to get into trouble. Be vigilant in cccessing internet nowadays coz honestly there are fake news, fake people, fake identity. It is critical to trust someone online especially if you are a minor or teenager.

I suggest, you limit your internet access for school and educational purpose only. And live in the moment. Be selective in choosing your friends. Friends can influence you. Be with people who are good in moral and values. You’ll be right on track. Pray for protection against any temptation. God bless!
 
It’s dangerous and I imagine not very satisfactory in the end. You gotta figure out a way to talk as easy as you do on the internet with people outside the internet, the real life as they say.
 
He is a friend with whom I would talk about life issues with and ask advice about what it is like being an introvert. We both met on a website called Personality Cafe. It is an educational website about psychology and MBTI and ask questions regarding those subjects. I was hoping to connect with other introverts like me. When I first introduced myself on the website, he was the one who offered to be friends with me and welcomed me.
 
I would be careful… I know it’s so comforting, but there are people that catfish out there. My friend was in a relationship with someone once for years whom she only communicated with online and via phone but never face timed or anything. He had a ton of photos he would send her and everything. Turns out he was not who he said he was and stole photos from other people to use pretending it was him. This went on for years. Just be careful. Try to find people close by in the present as you said
 
Regardless of your age, talking to people online, as we are here, is an example of trust. when you have no reason not to trust, then reach out. In this case online.
 
You’re an adult. You can have online friends if you like.
If I didn’t have online friends I wouldn’t have met my wife.
In this day and age I’m surprised anyone bats an eyelid that a young adult is friends with people on the internet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top