Is it considered mortal or venial?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 10ZackT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
1

10ZackT

Guest
Recently I have joined the catholic church as of last week, having been baptized and confirmed. However, many of old habits from living a athiest life plague me as I continue on this journey. I find my self inadvertently throwing God and Jesus into sentences and realizing what i said immediately after and correct myself. I know it’s against the 10 commandant’s however I also know what it means for something to be mortal. So I need some advice
 
Last edited:
A few points/suggestions. Read the 3rd chapter of James and reflect on it. Also ponder Matthew 12:36-37 as to casual words. I heard a priest teaching that each time we take the Lord’s name in vain, He answers, “Yes, you called?” Think about that!

This is difficult in an age where “OMG!” begins every other sentence. As a new Catholic, you have the absolute best opportunity right there before you. Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

Go to adoration and tell Him your difficulties and that you greatly fear insulting Him or His Father. Ask for the grace to clean up and control your tongue. Then, be as patient with Him and He has been with you.

His graces are infinite. Just ask.
 
I also know what it means for something to be mortal.
Therefore you will know whether you have sinned mortally or venially in each of these matters.
We receive grace/help to resist committing the same sins again in confession, as the sacrament strengthens us too. Five Benefits of Frequent Confesson.
If a person sins mortally, then we are to go confession as soon as we can.
Whilst confession is not necessary for the forgiveness of venial sins, in the case of venial sins Holy Communion at Mass with repentance for those also obtains forgiveness of the venial sins. So in the case of venial sins, frequent confession would be an average of monthly.
There is also this article How many times should I confess the same sin? which is an excellent article.
 
I’ll give it read, it’s just somewhat difficult classifying if an accidental speaking ofthe father in vain would still count as mortal just due to it happening. Thank you though.
 
Venial, as it was done unintentionally: Numbers 15:27-29. Christ is already the sacrifice of atonement and as the high priest the one who offered satisfaction. There is also a reference to the ignorant (unintentional) and wayward (those who do it on purpose Heb 5:2. However (don’t have the catechism reference on me) any venial sin committed numerous times without intent to correct the behavior can become mortal sin. Someone else can probably give the reference numbers for it in the catechism.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the Church, and congrats on becoming part of Christ’s body.

Peace and God bless
Nicene
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much, I’m trying sincerely to remove this habit from my life. It always surprises me when it slips out the way it does and I hate it everytime. Also thanks for the references. I’m planning on confessing it so I can recieve advice on the matter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top