Is it depression, or is God calling me to be single?

  • Thread starter Thread starter benjammin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benjammin

Guest
Anymore, I find myself just not wanting to give a darn. For a few years I thought I was called to marriage. I remember going to a retreat and praying and feel that I was called to be married and have kids. Mostly because I realized that I am a person who needs people, and being alone isn’t really good for me. (not that its the only reason I want to get married, but I need that support). However, lately I just feel so down on the whole marriage thing.

I feel that i’m not good looking enough to get a girl. I mean even devout girls need something to look at and get them interested. However, rather than work on my appearance, I find myself not caring, and saying “if girls don’t like me for who I am, then its their fault”. I don’t really feel motivated to lose weight or work on my appearance and that I don’t want to change since i’m just fine and its hard for me to lose weight.

I also find myself wanting to be less social. Sure I want friends and want people to go out with, but I don’t have many friends nearby, and though I try to go out, I end up going out alone and feeling like some wierdo creep, and anymore I just say screw it. I’d rather stay at home and be lonely where people couldn’t see me, and only go out for mass, my job, and just to hang out and watch football, even if it is alone. I feel anymore like people just don’t like me or think i’m a good friend, and that if they don’t want to, I’ll just stay by myself no matter how lonely it gets. I’m starting to hate social events. It takes great effort just to talk to random strangers, and i’m afraid they’ll think i’m creepy or weird.

I wish I could feel more interested. I still want to date and find a wife, but anymore it just seems so hard, and girls just seem to think i’m nice. I’ve tried Catholicmatch, as well as match, and nothing’s worked out, except one girl I went out w/ three times (granted it was probably for the best. I don’t think she was as committed of a catholic as I was.) Anyway i just end up feeling dissapointed in both them and myself. Its like i’m just to bland, but maybe thats just it. Maybe my calling is just to work and go to church and pray until I die

Anyway, i’m starting to feel like married life, while it would be wonderful, seems to be too hard. At least the finding a wife part. I feel like it just would be too much effort, and even though it makes me sad that’ll i’d never get to experience being with a girl or the joys of marriage, at least if I just give up, I know what to expect. In a way its kind of comforting. I’d rather jsut be alone and depressed, relying on God to make me feel better and hopefully just live out my dull life until he calls me home.

So could this be a call to the single life, or am I just drowning in depression? Anymore i feel like i’d rather just say single. It would be depressing, but easier. It’s so hard to talk to girls. I mean for heaven’s sake I only have 1 female friend. I must be weird or something. I just feel like anymore i don’t care about marriage. Also, while there were girls I was interested in, i’ve never made a move on them ,and for the past few months i’ve just come to the conclusion they’d rather not talk to me. I also get the feeling that a lot of the best girls are already taken by 23, at least here where i live in the Heartland where most people are still married in their early 20’s. Anyway, it just feels like no girls out there, and even if their is one, its my luck she lives way too far away and I can’t meet her often.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I just need some way to get this out. Hopefully I can find some answers. All I know is that I don’t want to be priest or religious, but i shift between singlehood and mariatge, though singlehood is more of a default vocation than a real one. I just feel like though that singlehood would be easier, even if more stressful

Anyway, God bless and thanks for reading

Benjammin
 
I think you need to stop being so negative. And try and be more positive and work hard to be social and take care of yourself. Stop wallowing , it only makes things worse you are even now worrying people think you’re weird and creepy. STOP THAT!!! You need to break out of this negativity.

Work on trusting in God in the present moment, and work on being happy with and in yourself. You can’t be in a relationship and love someone until you love yourself first.
That means being happy now, and being happy when you’re alone too. I believe everyone should learn to be happy to be alone for some times as that means that they are happy with themselves because when you’re alone you have to face yourself.
Work on loving and trusting God NOW… maybe read Abandonment to Divine Providence.
Sorry I’m not trying to be harsh but you seriously need to stop this!! It’s not good.

But I understand you must be confused. I think work on trying to be positive and see how things go… You never know what’s around the corner. Sometimes a bit of positive thinking can make the most unreal dreams come true.

You’re in my prayers, keep your chin up 🙂

God bless 🙂
 
Honestly, take it from someone with a mental illness — this sounds like a textbook case of clinical depression. Apathy, losing motivation, feeling less pleasure, self-loathing… yep. So, good news for you, if you see a shrink you should be up and running again in a short while. I’m no doctor, but depression isn’t exactly hard to spot.
 
It’s all connected, man. The wieght, the depression, the negative attitude. But the depression sounds real. I’ve lost a bunch of weight in the last few years, not skinny, but I thought the depression would work itself out. It hasn’t. Furthermore (not to depress you more) but I’ve been married for 10 years and I have a 6 year old son. My Catholic wife and I are divorcing right now. She just stopped wanting it and there you go. That doesn’t mean that it will happen to you, obviously, but I never thought it would happen to me. I think I’m mentioning this because I feel like I’m you (or that you’re like me), except I’ve had marriage and failed at it, and I thought I had a vocation and I failed that, too. Okay, I think I’m saying this to motivate you to get help for the depression pronto. As in, when you wake up and start reading this, then you pick up the phone and 1. Join a gym, 2. Find a shrink with a prescription pad (if you have insurance). Don’t become me. Get your heart pumping now and build some momentum. Losing the weight will most likely lessen the depression (and I’m not saying that you need to look like a Jonas brother, just jump start the metabolism). The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
 
Sorry but I seriously have to step in again… Don’t just turn to medicine as a way to feel better. I was forced on these things and they have ruined my life - weight gain, tired, plus side effects. I’m a mess from these pills and always wonder whether they have even helped me. Don’t do it!!! Its just a band aid solution. See a psychologist yes, but a shrink STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE THEY ARE DANGEROUS, I often wonder how I’m still alive considering the amount of these drugs I’ve been on.
All that keeps me from feeling like a robot is the Bread of Life.
Prescription medicine can ruin lives … Actually you know some side effects of anti depressants is actually … Wait for it… Suicidal thinking…
Hmmmm… Yeah… So no, prescription meds possibly may actually make matters worse. As it did for me , I’ll stop now as it is very sad.
 
Sorry but I seriously have to step in again… Don’t just turn to medicine as a way to feel better. I was forced on these things and they have ruined my life - weight gain, tired, plus side effects. I’m a mess from these pills and always wonder whether they have even helped me. Don’t do it!!! Its just a band aid solution. See a psychologist yes, but a shrink STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE THEY ARE DANGEROUS, I often wonder how I’m still alive considering the amount of these drugs I’ve been on.
All that keeps me from feeling like a robot is the Bread of Life.
Prescription medicine can ruin lives … Actually you know some side effects of anti depressants is actually … Wait for it… Suicidal thinking…
Hmmmm… Yeah… So no, prescription meds possibly may actually make matters worse. As it did for me , I’ll stop now as it is very sad.
I’m sorry that happened to you, Christine. But the fact of the matter is that meds can help people. I think it’s irresponsible to try to scare benjamin away from psychiatrists. He doesn’t have to take antidepressants if he doesn’t want to. The first thing I advocated for him was joining a gym and doing something proactive, but there are some people that need antidepressants. When they first started trying to medicate me I was a wreck. I fell victim to every side effect in the book and I stopped taking any. The doctors cannot force a drug, but an overall psych evaluation could affirm or ever rule out clinical depression, so he should go if only for the peace of mind of knowing. It was only two years ago that I agreed to take an antidepressant that actually works (cymbalta) because I’ve also developed some nerve pain, and even some psychosematic pain from my divorce.

I wholly understand and have compassion for your plight, Christine, but overall a psych evaluation can only help. And he can get a second opinion if only to confirm or deny the first findings.
 
Hmmmm… Yeah… So no, prescription meds possibly may actually make matters worse. As it did for me , I’ll stop now as it is very sad.
I would recommend trying other things first as well. I’ve had some serious issues with meds myself, but at the same time I can’t honestly tell someone else to rule them out. They could be the last resort to save a life. But still, try supplements like 5-HTP and krill oil and vitamin D with therapy first. I agree, Christine’s right in that you shouldn’t be so quick to hit the meds.
 
Ok so maybe drugs can help in dire situations, but it’s awful that everyone immediately said go to the dr. What about “Talk to a counsellor or Priest.”
How can you make some one think the solution is immediately tablets it’s ridiculous. Eg- make sure they have a prescription pad. It makes me sick to my stomach actually , and I don’t believe I was being irresponsible, the solution provided about going to a prescribing dr is the easy way out, gee, like give the guy a chance before you start labelling him with a depression that needs to be treated medically.
There are things you should try first before that such as supplements , thinking positive, exercise and a good non medicine pushing counsellor.

In regards to a psych evaluation … I wonder if it will actually help?
 
Ok so maybe drugs can help in dire situations, but it’s awful that everyone immediately said go to the dr. What about “Talk to a counsellor or Priest.”
How can you make some one think the solution is immediately tablets it’s ridiculous. Eg- make sure they have a prescription pad. It makes me sick to my stomach actually , and I don’t believe I was being irresponsible, the solution provided about going to a prescribing dr is the easy way out, gee, like give the guy a chance before you start labelling him with a depression that needs to be treated medically.
There are things you should try first before that such as supplements , thinking positive, exercise and a good non medicine pushing counsellor.

In regards to a psych evaluation … I wonder if it will actually help?
He won’t know if he doesn’t go. And I never said “the solution is immediately tablets” The first thing I said is “Join a gym.” I know of a guy who’s a muscular athlete and he has depression and gets medicated, so sometimes diet and exercise can make depression go away, and sometimes a doctor needs to get involved. The point is, he should see a physician as a matter of course. He could also be an undiagnosed diabetic. Who knows (I was an undiagnosed diabetic for years. That accounted for much of my mental issues).

I’m so sorry for you. I will be praying for you. Pray for me.
 
Yes I will pray for you , and the diabetes thing, I’m on the border meaning I could get it 😦
So sad. I am praying to be off these tablets in a couple more years as I started weening off under dr supervision 2 years ago. It’s been one big never ending nightmare. All that keeps me going is my faith in God
 
I think you need to stop being so negative. And try and be more positive and work hard to be social and take care of yourself. Stop wallowing , it only makes things worse you are even now worrying people think you’re weird and creepy. STOP THAT!!! You need to break out of this negativity.

Work on trusting in God in the present moment, and work on being happy with and in yourself. You can’t be in a relationship and love someone until you love yourself first.
That means being happy now, and being happy when you’re alone too. I believe everyone should learn to be happy to be alone for some times as that means that they are happy with themselves because when you’re alone you have to face yourself.
Work on loving and trusting God NOW… maybe read Abandonment to Divine Providence.
Sorry I’m not trying to be harsh but you seriously need to stop this!! It’s not good.

But I understand you must be confused. I think work on trying to be positive and see how things go… You never know what’s around the corner. Sometimes a bit of positive thinking can make the most unreal dreams come true.

You’re in my prayers, keep your chin up 🙂

God bless 🙂
What makes you think I don’t trust in God. To be honest, God gets me through this. He doesn’t care what i’m like. He just loves, and at this point its not like i’m sinning. I go to mass. I try to read my bible, I pray. I just don’t want to deal with people anymore. I’m tired of being some socially awkward loser. Its not like i want to be some loser moping around. I just don’t want to deal with people anymore. I’m just wondering if maybe this “dont care” attitude is a call to being single. Its not like anything’s happened. I have two jobs and live a life. Its just i’m so awkward and strange I don’t want to deal with this call to marriage. Its such an impediment. Yikes, i’m not that depressed
 
Yikes, i’m not that depressed
There ya go. Problem: Solved! 😃

I’ve been through counseling and meds, and the meds helped me, the counseling didn’t. Rather, the counseling helped for about a day afterward then it wore off.

Don’t be afraid of the meds. And…find a real person to talk to. These interwebz–not so good a substitute for a priest, or a doctor, or a trusted counselor.
 
Ben, I’m no expert on vocations but whenever a calling involves “being miserable” per se, I tend to turn skeptical. I’m not an expert on anything clinical either but it does sound like what people refer to as depression. Meaning anything from motivation and similar issues that counsellors deal with to clinical depression that would need a shrink to look at it. Either way, just go see one. Don’t be embarrassed about it and don’t stall because if it’s a matter of some chemical imbalance then you really just want to get rid of it ASAP and go back to living like normal.

Also, there’s that saying that no man ever deserves a woman. That’s true, but, you know, it doesn’t work that way. Women have a talent for spotting worthless scum to go out with, so if that were the case, you’d probably be taken by now. :p;)
 
I also find myself wanting to be less social. Sure I want friends and want people to go out with, but I don’t have many friends nearby, and though I try to go out, I end up going out alone and feeling like some wierdo creep, and anymore I just say screw it. I’d rather stay at home and be lonely where people couldn’t see me, and only go out for mass, my job, and just to hang out and watch football, even if it is alone…

I just feel like though that singlehood would be easier, even if more stressful

Anyway, God bless and thanks for reading

Benjammin
Its OK to go out alone!

Stress is not something to neglect. Don’t give up.
 
Benjammin-
Not all the good girls are taken by the time they are 23! I am 24 and a committed, modest, Catholic young woman who substitute teaches in catholic schools. I know how it feels and how hard waiting for the one God has planned for you is. I am still waiting and I get very down sometimes but I know that if I keep working on myself (my shyness, domestic skills, weight loss, etc) God will do his part and lead me to my husband. I know that weight loss is hard, I have been working on it for 10 months and I have lost 41 pounds, it is a daily struggle and commitment but I am feeling better about myself so I keep going.
I am praying for you, dear. Keep faith, rely on Jesus. Everything will work out when you least expect to, I promise.

Prayers and Hugs,
Teresa
 
Benjammin-
Not all the good girls are taken by the time they are 23! I am 24 and a committed, modest, Catholic young woman who substitute teaches in catholic schools. I know how it feels and how hard waiting for the one God has planned for you is. I am still waiting and I get very down sometimes but I know that if I keep working on myself (my shyness, domestic skills, weight loss, etc) God will do his part and lead me to my husband. I know that weight loss is hard, I have been working on it for 10 months and I have lost 41 pounds, it is a daily struggle and commitment but I am feeling better about myself so I keep going.
I am praying for you, dear. Keep faith, rely on Jesus. Everything will work out when you least expect to, I promise.

Prayers and Hugs,
Teresa
Thanks. I realize not all are taken, but lets just say they wouldn’t be interested in me because of my looks. Being a short fat guy losing his hair at 23 is the pitts. Anyway, I hope you find someone amazing because you already sound like a cool person. Also, you don’t need to do all that to get a guy. I hate that people think you have to change. I bet you were fine the way you were. You don’t need to do anything to get a guy except be yourself. I don’t know why people don’t seem to get this.
 
Anymore, I find myself just not wanting to give a darn. For a few years I thought I was called to marriage. I remember going to a retreat and praying and feel that I was called to be married and have kids. Mostly because I realized that I am a person who needs people, and being alone isn’t really good for me. (not that its the only reason I want to get married, but I need that support). However, lately I just feel so down on the whole marriage thing.

I feel that i’m not good looking enough to get a girl. I mean even devout girls need something to look at and get them interested. However, rather than work on my appearance, I find myself not caring, and saying “if girls don’t like me for who I am, then its their fault”. I don’t really feel motivated to lose weight or work on my appearance and that I don’t want to change since i’m just fine and its hard for me to lose weight.

I also find myself wanting to be less social. Sure I want friends and want people to go out with, but I don’t have many friends nearby, and though I try to go out, I end up going out alone and feeling like some wierdo creep, and anymore I just say screw it. I’d rather stay at home and be lonely where people couldn’t see me, and only go out for mass, my job, and just to hang out and watch football, even if it is alone. I feel anymore like people just don’t like me or think i’m a good friend, and that if they don’t want to, I’ll just stay by myself no matter how lonely it gets. I’m starting to hate social events. It takes great effort just to talk to random strangers, and i’m afraid they’ll think i’m creepy or weird.

I wish I could feel more interested. I still want to date and find a wife, but anymore it just seems so hard, and girls just seem to think i’m nice. I’ve tried Catholicmatch, as well as match, and nothing’s worked out, except one girl I went out w/ three times (granted it was probably for the best. I don’t think she was as committed of a catholic as I was.) Anyway i just end up feeling dissapointed in both them and myself. Its like i’m just to bland, but maybe thats just it. Maybe my calling is just to work and go to church and pray until I die

Anyway, i’m starting to feel like married life, while it would be wonderful, seems to be too hard. At least the finding a wife part. I feel like it just would be too much effort, and even though it makes me sad that’ll i’d never get to experience being with a girl or the joys of marriage, at least if I just give up, I know what to expect. In a way its kind of comforting. I’d rather jsut be alone and depressed, relying on God to make me feel better and hopefully just live out my dull life until he calls me home.

So could this be a call to the single life, or am I just drowning in depression? Anymore i feel like i’d rather just say single. It would be depressing, but easier. It’s so hard to talk to girls. I mean for heaven’s sake I only have 1 female friend. I must be weird or something. I just feel like anymore i don’t care about marriage. Also, while there were girls I was interested in, i’ve never made a move on them ,and for the past few months i’ve just come to the conclusion they’d rather not talk to me. I also get the feeling that a lot of the best girls are already taken by 23, at least here where i live in the Heartland where most people are still married in their early 20’s. Anyway, it just feels like no girls out there, and even if their is one, its my luck she lives way too far away and I can’t meet her often.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I just need some way to get this out. Hopefully I can find some answers. All I know is that I don’t want to be priest or religious, but i shift between singlehood and mariatge, though singlehood is more of a default vocation than a real one. I just feel like though that singlehood would be easier, even if more stressful

Anyway, God bless and thanks for reading

Benjammin
Dear fellow Nebraskan.
You sir, are not necessarily depressed. I’d guess “dangerously bored” might apply.
your half way there dude. Match making services only work for shallow nitwitts who will never really know the difference. your feelings indicate that you do not fit into that category. Be thankful for that if you can muster it. The beauty in this world you might see and savor is felt to a greater depth than they might ever know.
If I had to guess you’ll end up kinda like me. yeah Im married, and quite happily at that. the secret is you can have it when you don’t really need it.
you must make yourself whole and complete so that you may comfortably stand on your own. Its then and only then you can take your pick. Choose wisely at that time, the last thing you need is to spend the rest of your natural life with a self absorbed dingbat praying for your last breath to come because you folded in on your hormones.
control those little devils or they’ll control you.
whoever you choose, never forget that lady was once, and still is, someones little girl. In taking her by your side, you transfer the responsibility to lead her from darkness, protect, and respect her from those fine folks who raised her.
and thats why you can have her only when you don’t need her. Its a huge responsibility you must make yourself man enough to handle.
 
What makes you think I don’t trust in God. To be honest, God gets me through this. He doesn’t care what i’m like. He just loves, and at this point its not like i’m sinning. I go to mass. I try to read my bible, I pray. I just don’t want to deal with people anymore. I’m tired of being some socially awkward loser. Its not like i want to be some loser moping around. I just don’t want to deal with people anymore. I’m just wondering if maybe this “dont care” attitude is a call to being single. Its not like anything’s happened. I have two jobs and live a life. Its just i’m so awkward and strange I don’t want to deal with this call to marriage. Its such an impediment. Yikes, i’m not that depressed
Did I even say you were depressed ? If you read the posts I was actually defending you from people saying you were depressed and should see a dr. Yet funny you decide to have a go at me. Thanks for that
 
Maybe, for now, this is what is best. It doesn’t necessarily have to mean that you are meant to be single forever.
 
Did I even say you were depressed ? If you read the posts I was actually defending you from people saying you were depressed and should see a dr. Yet funny you decide to have a go at me. Thanks for that
Don’t get uncharitable about it. I’m sorry that I put the brunt on you, but I guess I just feel like i’m not depressed. Anymore this feeling is just normal. Maybe i’m just an anxious depressed person naturally. Anyway, thank you for trying to help me and I am truly sorry
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top