Is it harder to be holy now?

• Thread starter Thread starter Grace_and_Glory
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Fitz,
Yes, people now a days like to over dramatize things. There has been incredible evil in this world through out history. I think the mass media contributes to this tendency. Every natural disaster that occurs, any new disease that crops up, all of these things are given theme songs on CNN.

But, think back on history: The Mongol hoards, the Black Plague, the brutalities of the Roman empire, World War II (50 million dead…), and on and on. Rape, debachery, desecration, destruction. Not much new under the sun. Same old play, different players.

It’s hard to be a human being and evil is alive and well in the world.

40.png
amasimp:
Quite possibly given the greater temptations we now face. But, look at it this way, if it is indeed harder that means that God will bestow more graces upon us to be able to resist those temptations. All you have to do is embrace the grace!
But we have to recognize grace when we meet her! Otherwise we might treat her like was shown in the movie Dogville .

And yet, how many have freely chosen to view Dogville ? And how many rather are addicted to the very opposite of what this movie offers us?

So, it would be our decision not to go hear the prophet (Dogville) and so also not to meet the one whom the prophet would (re-) introduce us to (Grace).

This is why it seems obvious to me that ‘the movies’ have become the only thing we have faith in, really. And what is the faith/trust we have in them? Precisely that they will keep the Christ away from us, as they always have.

The reaction elicited by the sister-movies Mulholland Drive and Dogville is the very same reaction produced by the Christ when he walked the earth.

God has given us these two prophets and victory and joy through them. Are we willing to accept that joy?

40.png
amasimp:
Quite possibly given the greater temptations we now face. But, look at it this way, if it is indeed harder that means that God will bestow more graces upon us to be able to resist those temptations. All you have to do is embrace the grace!
But where is grace to be found? We could pass her up on the street without even recognizing her, as I’m sure happened when Jesus walked the earth.

Watch the film Dogville for a view of how grace is treated in modern day America.

Watch the film Mulholland Drive if you want to escape Dogville’s deadly ‘illustration’.

There may be no other way to ‘embrace’ grace at this point than through these two films. If God can’t reach humanity through a movie how will he ever reach us at all?

Yes, it’s been harder ever since the '60’s, and getting worse, because the culture no longer supports goodness.

(If I had a shorter time horizon, I might not have noticed, but the change has been enormous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back