Is it morally wrong to circumcise your son?

  • Thread starter Thread starter forest1970
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So perhaps I was not misled, and the experiences that were shared with me by my mother and mother-in-law were valid and not some hysterical memory? I really started to wonder when the previous poster told me I was exaggerating (although exaggeration is not possible when one is simply going off of someone else’s story).
I figure that there ARE plenty of boys that don’t feel it. And most that don’t remember it. However, there are boys that feel it, and scream with withering pain, and it’s done wrong. AND I’m willing to bet, the Dr. that did that did not say… Oh yeah, this one is going to hurt. Because he/she can’t predict it… And since it’s NOT necessary… Why the risk?

Further people talk about how there could be complications later if they don’t do it. Well, I liken that to the fact that some adult women will get breast cancer. And DIE from it. But we don’t go removing breasts (not when they are little girls). Some women will get ovarian cancer, uterine cancer. Vaginal infections. etc. We don’t start cutting off body parts 'cause that might happen and the treatments are brutal. It’s flawed logic.
 
Your thread title does not match your poll. :confused: I am sure it is too late for you to change it. I have reported it and maybe a mod can help you change it.
 
Yes. It’s no longer required by Christianity, so why would you want to? Health benefits? If its the latter, let your son make the decision when he’s older.
I’ve worked with a 90 yr old man that had to have it done, it is extremely painful as an adult.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it is immoral, because a lot of people tend to believe it is still kind of expected of Christians to do so. The New Testament is clear that Christian men should not be forced to circumcise.
I have wondered about the ethical nature of circumcision, especially when it is performed on infants, and even more especially when it is done without true informed consent. In my mind, I tend to equate infant male circumcision with female genital mutilation (a horrifying “surgery” performed on young girls in many countries in Africa and Asia). In both cases, sensitive parts of the child’s sexual organs are cut off with no medical reason, leaving the child with scars and decreased sexual sensitivity and function. In the U.S., circumcision was so ubiquitous when my husband and I were born, that most of our age peers had it done and had never seen an uncircumcised penis (what would we do without Google? :rolleyes: ). When I did the research on circumcision, that was the first time I realized the scars left on my husband by the procedure, and I also realized just how incredibly painful and traumatic it is for infant boys. Consequently, it is one issue where I told my husband the decision we would be making as parents, and would not budge on it. Normally, when he and I disagree, I will aquiesce because I trust his judgement. But on this one, I definitely led the charge to say “No!” to the unkindest cut. He and I are both in agreement now, that the choice we made then to NOT circumcise was definitely the right choice. And I am sure someday our son will wholeheartedly agree. In fact, even mention of the procedure is enough to make my husband fidget with discomfort, since he is far more aware of how it is done and he has had the opportunity to see his baby boy be given the freedom to be just as God made him.
Now, both my mother and mother-in-law have told me that it was very traumatic for them when their sons were circumcised and they probably wouldn’t ever allow it again. I was grateful for their support and understanding, because in the part of the nation where my son was born, circumcision is still the norm, unfortunately. 😦
So, I don’t think it is immoral, but I think it might be unethical, if that makes any sense.
My son didn’t cry. The nurses and doctor said that he just sat there mellow. So you can’t really make blanket statements.

Our reasoning to circumsize was because my husband’s circumsized. So there are two things with that, #1 is that we wouldn’t know how to appropriately teach him to clean the area and #2 why make him be different than his dad in such an area? There will already be enough questions…
 
I’ve worked with a 90 yr old man that had to have it done, it is extremely painful as an adult.

My son didn’t cry. The nurses and doctor said that he just sat there mellow. So you can’t really make blanket statements.

Our reasoning to circumsize was because my husband’s circumsized. So there are two things with that, #1 is that we wouldn’t know how to appropriately teach him to clean the area and #2 why make him be different than his dad in such an area? There will already be enough questions…
Your decision is yours… That’s fair, and right. I only answer to put out there how a mom might deal with this is she’s on the fence…

However, as I said in another post. I had a friend witness a baby scream his head off, and then the parents were told he didn’t make a peep. She’s hispanic. Maybe the doctors assumed she couldn’t speak English and understand the lie they told the white mom. And well, what’s done is done. No reason to make mom feel terrible guilt. Right? we get enough of that. I understand that.

It is true, however, that plenty of babies are seemingly uneffected.

But regarding your #1 and #2. And this is for others that are discerning this… and would LIKE the information.
  1. You can learn anything. It’s really nothing to learn that the skin will naturally detach over time. You teach your child to retract, and rinse the area every day in the bath/shower. And you explain why that’s important. Because if they neglect the area… yes, problems could arise. Just like if you neglect your nooks and crannies. You should make sure your Pedi KNOWS and is current on the uncircumcised. And you should become as much as expert as possible. Because should you run into a problem. You MIGHT need to teach a doctor a thing or two.
  2. I do think it’s important to be comfortable with your own body and talking openly about the body as if it’s not some top secret that’s better not discussed. If you’re not, then no reason to add extra discomfort. I have a friend who is in the same position as I . DH is circumcized, and Son is not. While my boys are 5 and haven’t asked, her son is now 13. But I think he asked around age 9. Explanation goes like this. There is a procedure called circumcision. It’s considered optional. Usually, when you’re a baby a doctor will do the procedure. They cut the skin off that then exposes the head of the penis, like daddies. Her son, grabbed himself, flinched, and said…YIKES… Thanks for not doing that. She responded with… no prob… just keep it clean… Or you might HAVE to do that later.
Conversation over.

Dear moms of boys. You will have conversations with your sons that mothers never used to have. My little guy walked out of the bathroom at age 3.5 with an erection. In tears. He annouced it was “too big”. My dad who alway had left sex talks to my mom had taken me aside once I had boys, and told me… “Just so you know, little boys get erections sometimes when they have to pee really bad.” I knew they did that… but it was really sweet that he wanted to “warn” me. But my husband wasn’t home to field this question. My answer… It’s ok honey. You’re penis is supposed to be able to do that. And I promise you. Too Big will not be a concern when you’re older. That seemed to do the trick. It’s really not embarassing or uncomfy.

Best to all of you!
 
Imagine willingly and wilfully exposing a child to pain for no reason when the early Church rightly kicked this superstition into touch… Barbarism. Mere nonsense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top