Is it ok to reject people's invitation to be in solitude?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomo_pomo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomo_pomo

Guest
Sometimes I get invited a lot to dinners because of my girlfriend who has big family and it’s always something going on. But many times I just wish to be alone and read a book and be with the Lord. Is it ok to reject invitations and do that? Is it too selfish? Or am I better to show love to neighbour and still come?
 
If you want your relationship with your girlfriend to continue, you should consider participating in family events. I’m a loner too. But I know my wife wants me to be involved with her family, so I do so willingly. There are times I back out, but only after many more times I’ve willingly gone and participated. It’s part of a relationship. It’s not all about you.
 
Understand what you mean but in a different situation. Silence and solitude brings one to a deeper core of one’s being. God’s being! There is a saying I read in a book by a Cardinal but I forget who his name: “Great work is done in silence.”
I don’t know how to answer your question. I guess I would just pray and ask the Holy Spirit what he wanted me to do and then I would do it. Delighted you see the value of silence and solitude.
 
Can you compromise and just go to the ‘big’ occasions such as a landmark birthday, Christmas, thanksgiving? I feel you, I would hate that.
 
Maybe if you keep a record you will see that you are not gallivanting as much as it feels like (or perhaps you will see that you are!).

Consider this: you and your gf should be discerning marriage. Will you be happy with this level of involvement with her family? Will you be happy if the level increases after you have children?

Sometimes an introvert and and extrovert balance each other out and bring more to each other’s lives.

Sometimes it works out that there is always one miserable one.

You need to consider this aspect of your relationship carefully.
 
That is what marriage and family is all about–going places with the wife and family and the in-laws. If you have a girlfriend I imagine you feel you are being called to the married state? But if you find it difficult to go out to dinner with your girlfriend’s family now, I can tell you as someone who’s been married with a family for 22 years, it doesn’t get any easier with time.

There’s always some place you have to go, oftentimes with people you’d rather not go with. (I’m speaking of in-laws here.) Remember, when you marry, you’re not just marrying your mate, you’re also, in a sense, marrying her family. It’s not always easy.

If you find that you like being alone with the Lord perhaps you are not being called to the married state. Perhaps you are being called to something else like religious life or the single life. Just some thoughts…
 
Yes it is ok.
Spending time with God to refuel and refresh your relationship with God is important.

When you’re flying on an airplane and the airmasks come down, the rule is to put in on yourself first, then care for the ones in your care. Developing good habits and prayer time is how we get plugged in to grace. We need this in our world today that is always full of noise and in our face, and pulling us off course.
 
I do that too many times, but after some time I want to spend some time in solitude
 
I do I go on many big as well as small occasions. The thing is practically every weekend something is going on
 
Truthfully if your that active I personally don’t think it’s too much to ask to take a weekend off now and again. I’m single though tbh. If it’s bugging you enough to post on the forum I’m betting it’s getting to you somewhat? I find God in quiet as an introvert. I like going out but sometimes I feel a bit overtaxed if it’s nonstop.
 
Is it too much to seek some balance? I’m not against activity. Some personalities love that never ending go. Others like quieter time. Just seems like some compromise might be in order if it’s bothering the OP.
 
Last edited:
Same here same here, I can go out but when I am alone or if the subject is spiritual one that’s when I thrive. Just worldly subjects tire me after maybe hour or two
 
I try, but in the end I feel guilty if I refuse to go because people appreciate when they have guests. Family bonding is important for them
 
I’d think it’s reasonable to decline if it’s happening so frequently.
 
Last edited:
I think you need to say look, how about we go to my family or just hang out as a couple? Can’t always be you compromising
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top